Yet another HDMI Splitter Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-12-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, I have read the many threads about 3D splitting but most seem concerned with passing the audio to an older non-1.4 compliant AVR or quickly get hijacked into a discussion about PS3's or wii's. Most posts are outdated relative to my situation and there have been some newer splitter products released that may change the landscape.

So here's my system: I have two 3D bluray players (Sony BDP-S480 and Yamaha BD-S671) connected to a Yamaha AVR (RX-V471) which is 1.4 compliant. The AVR drives my 5.1 speaker system and its one HDMI output currently goes to a Panny 60" 3D Plasma tv (TC-P60GT30). Everything works great!

Now I want to add a Vizio 22" 1080p tv to a downstairs room. This tv is not a 3D tv and is not 1.4 compliant. Also, I will be using the tv's internal speakers.

When watching 3D, the Vizio tv will always be off. When watching 2D, either tv or both could be on.

My thought was to add a splitter to the AVR output. I believe I need a splitter that will report the capabilities of my Panny 3D tv to the HDMI so it does not downgrade to the lesser capabilities of the Vizio tv. Does anybody know of a splitter that will do this for me?

Thanx and sorry for the long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-17-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well, 240+ views and nobody has a solution to offer. Either this is an incredibly difficult problem or I have an incredibly unique situation.

I have learned from Vizio that the second tv is actually HDMI 1.4 compliant, just not 3D. Didn't know if that changed the possibilities?

Also, would I be able to use a HDMI switch if I restricted the use to one tv or the other rather than allow both to be on? Will a powered HDMI switch allow me to watch 3D on the main tv if the other tv is off/standby?

Thanx.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-17-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Hard to say if the 3D support would be affected when the set is turned off or not, but anytime you start mixing HDMI capabilities with splitters or switches, you can run into those problems.

What do you want to watch on the Vizio? Multiple sources or just a BD? Your Sony BD player has component video outputs - run component to the 22" set instead of HDMI. You'll never see a difference and avoid the issue altogether.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 10 Old 01-17-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
It's hard to predict what behavior you'll get with any TV combination on a splitter. Here's Key Digital's new splitter that has some modicum of EDID control:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro.../KDHDDA1X2.ASP

And it's 3D/4K capable.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Hard to say if the 3D support would be affected when the set is turned off or not, but anytime you start mixing HDMI capabilities with splitters or switches, you can run into those problems.

What do you want to watch on the Vizio? Multiple sources or just a BD? Your Sony BD player has component video outputs - run component to the 22" set instead of HDMI. You'll never see a difference and avoid the issue altogether.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I basically want to be able to see and/or hear whatever is coming from the receiver on both outputs. That could include either of my 3d capable bluray players, the DishNetwork receiver/DVR (1080i??) or the CD changer. Running a different set of cables from the receiver won't be done due to the separation of the two signal paths for all of the sources.

You made me think of another question though. Since my receiver is outputing the sound, is the sound still included in the HDMI stream leaving the receiver?
post #6 of 10 Old 01-18-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshonbeck View Post

Thanks Jeff. I basically want to be able to see and/or hear whatever is coming from the receiver on both outputs. That could include either of my 3d capable bluray players, the DishNetwork receiver/DVR (1080i??) or the CD changer. Running a different set of cables from the receiver won't be done due to the separation of the two signal paths for all of the sources.

Why limit yourself to the "same thing" if the displays are in different rooms?

A $20 component video switch from Monoprice with IR support, some cables, and you could accomplish this and have an independent setup sharing the sources... Just need an IR repeater / remote control solution for the other room (which you'd need regardless), and you could do this for under $50.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Quote:

You made me think of another question though. Since my receiver is outputing the sound, is the sound still included in the HDMI stream leaving the receiver?

I think this depends on the receiver, but it very well may be nothing. Again, just use Component for the 2nd room and avoid the whole mess.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #7 of 10 Old 01-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
The other option is to get a cheap receiver for the vizio even though you'd not actually be using it as an amplifier. This way the receiver does the sound down conversion, not the source.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-23-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

I have come to the conclusion that HDMI has a way to go to be truly useful for my situation. My solution, as one of you suggested, was to run the composite signals from the DishNetwork VIP612 to the 2nd tv. It doesn't give me all of the sources that are currently tied to my AVR but it satisfies 95% of my wife's needs and I can deal with the other 5% .

Thanks for the ideas!
post #9 of 10 Old 01-23-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshonbeck View Post

My solution, as one of you suggested, was to run the composite signals from the DishNetwork VIP612 to the 2nd tv.

Component cable(s), not Composite, just in case there's confusion... (hopefully just a typo) Composite is standard def, component will provide HD.

Jeff

post #10 of 10 Old 01-23-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Ooops! Yes, component.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page