Triple Gang Wallplate - Quickport size question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-22-2012, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently need to upgrade my wall plate configuration. Currently I have 2 4-Port Keystone wallplates with keystone jacks from monoprice. I now need to make it a triple gang box. My problem is I can't seem to find any wallplates that are triple gang with keystone openings. Anyone know if there is one out there? So I figure I might have to with the Leviton Quickport Inserts, then I can use a standard 3 gang faceplate. I've been noticing there are concerns whether or not Cat5 or HDMI keystone jacks will fit in the 4 or 6 port Quickport inserts (mainly because they dont fit in the back). Has anyone tried these and have them fit or not fit?

One of my sections will have ( and currently fits in a 4 port faceplate) 2 HDMI and 2 Cat5. that would be my problem area. One of the other two gangs would be two sets of banana plugs, and the last is 4 coax.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-22-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 340
If you're going to enlarge the hole anyway, just move over another 2" (or so) and create a second single-gang or double-gang opening. That will avoid all of the issues above, and likely make it easier to get to all the cables.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 7 Old 01-22-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

That would be ideal, but my triple gang solution solves my first problem, which was the fact that I currently have 2 single gangs, and the sheetrock between them (about an inch and a half) is breaking. So I figured I'd add some jacks that I've wanted to do for awhile, but now have a good reason.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-22-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben525 View Post

I currently have 2 single gangs, and the sheetrock between them (about an inch and a half) is breaking.

Ah, ok, you didn't mention that...

I haven't used the decora inserts, but it probably will be difficult to get 6 heavy/inflexible cables to behave in those. Although I think your concern comes from using the Monoprice keystones in the Leviton decora frames.

You might try a mix and match, perhaps using the 2 or 3 keystone inserts, gang up the like cable types, so that if they aren't "compatible", you could replace one type of Monoprice keystone with a Leviton.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 7 Old 01-22-2012, 03:05 PM

Liked: 18
I have done a 3-gang with three 6-port Decora inserts with Leviton keystone RJ-45 inserts & various other keystones. Works fine. I haven't used an HDMI keystone in this configuration though.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-23-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Using Decora plates would be ideal. That way you could work on each gang with wires individually. I've done it for a 3-gang before, but it was mostly flexible wires (Cat5e/speaker) along with a few quad RG6 runs.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-23-2012, 06:41 PM

Liked: 11
You will be fine with ganged decora. One thing I would worry about though is usually anytime there is 1.5" between electrical boxes, it is because there is a stud between. Just something to check on.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page