static electricity causes black out of HDMI extender - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-23-2012, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have an Atlona AT-HD4-SI40SR HDMI extender over a single UTP solid core cat 6 cable. Sometimes if I have a static electricity buildup and touch my metal treadmill that is in the entertainment room, the picture will black out, then come back a second later. Also, other times it will black out without a spark.

Does this sound like an EMI issue or more of a power line issue? I hope there is a remedy short of buying shielded cable (which really isn't a great option due to hassle in re-wiring, cost, etc.) Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-24-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Interesting. Is the treadmill connected to the display, physically, or are the treadmill and display plugged into the same outlet?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 8 Old 01-24-2012, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

Does this sound like an EMI issue or more of a power line issue?

EMI...due to the burst of RF produced when you discharge.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-24-2012, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks everyone for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Interesting. Is the treadmill connected to the display, physically, or are the treadmill and display plugged into the same outlet?

The treadmill and display are plugged into separate outlets, but I'm pretty sure the ac lines are shared and run through the ceiling. The ethernet cable also runs through the ceiling which might explain it. Also, I unplugged the treadmill then touched it with static and there was no picture disturbance, only happens with it plugged in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

EMI...due to the burst of RF produced when you discharge.

Ah, I was afraid of that. Interestingly enough, after I unplugged the treadmill I thought that would mostly solve the problem, but then my wife moved a blanket and we could hear a ton of static shocks. At that point the display blacked out even when we hadn't touched anything. I think the shock must have caused EMI that penetrated the cable in the ceiling.

So, at this point I'm not sure what to do. Could this be due to an Earth leak? Or is my only option to put in shielded cable? I paid around $200 for the Atlona extender, I assumed it should be a good quality unit, I hope it's not to blame. It seems like the most likely culprit is the cable, but I don't know.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-25-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 86
What model Atlona extender? You may want to call their tech support for input.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 8 Old 01-25-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Maybe consider clear fiber cable/extender, though it would be more expensive than the Altona. It would eliminte EMI/ground issues.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-25-2012, 05:00 PM

Liked: 22
This is a good field trip topic. Ever see a Van de Graaf generator? It uses a belt similar to the one on your treadmill, and it generates LOTS of "static" electricity.

The Borscht Belt solution:
Patient: "Doctor, when I do this it hurts!"
Doctor: "Then don't do that."
(rimshot)

Since it's wintertime, one thing to do is use a humidifier to make the air less dry. The water vapor in the air will dissipate electrostatic buildup safely, and is good for your skin too. Even in the summer when the A/C is running, you may need to put back some of the humidity that the A/C removes. A thermometer/hygrometer costs about $20 at a big box home improvement store. IME 35% RH is good enough without feeling muggy.

You should probably contact the treadmill company. Yours might be defective or improperly grounded.

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-25-2012, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not sure if this is important to the discussion but I have the exact same extender. About 6 months ago during a major thunderstorm there was a power surge in my house. Since then I get major sparkles when Deep Color is turned on through this extender. I figured that something with the power surge damaged either the extender or the cable but since it was just a Deep Color issue I haven't worried about it too much.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page