Installing touch Screen Car Stereo In Wall - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 01-26-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the process of adding some ceiling speakers to my bedroom to play music. I love the idea of having a wall mounted touch screen that would control the music. After doing some research on this site, it looks like touch screen stereos that are designed for cars are much more affordable than any product that is made for in house installation.

Most car stereos should have enough power to push out to the speakers and I can use a computer PSU to convert the current. Has anyone tried this? Is there a better alternative or anything that I should be worried about?

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-29-2012, 07:55 PM

Liked: 12
ipad?
post #3 of 18 Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Interesting idea of using a car stereo. It could have it's benefits but power conversion would be tricky.

Here's something with Kindle fire that you may be able to use for information but it would involve software and a device to power the speakers. Maybe a better solution in the long run as network capable devices are becoming more and more prevalent.

http://www.hometoys.com/ezine/11.12/...on01/index.htm
post #4 of 18 Old 02-01-2012, 09:13 AM

There is a reason for them being more affordable, the power supply is not required since they run on 12 Volts Dc power. It will be a big challenge to find the proper power supply to feed your system. The other option is a Whole House audio system 6-12 zones which can be controlled from any smart device (Iphone/Ipad/ipod/smart phone/networked Pc etc..) using your wireless network. That will be way more economical than purchasing 6-12 car stereos and having to deal with the power supply.

How many zones do you need?
What sources are you looking to play?

You would also need to choose in ceiling speakers with a 4 ohms resistance. There is only 1 company that I know that make those: Emotiva.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-01-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 340
And I don't know about the code/safety issues with putting a car stereo into the wall. Yeah, it's "low volt", but hmmm... Bigger issue is that they all going to be deeper than a 4" standard stud wall cavity.

I agree that a wall mounted ipod/ipad dock feeding an amp or WHA system would be a better route. Getting Internet/networked sources is the way to go.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #6 of 18 Old 02-01-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

It will be a big challenge to find the proper power supply to feed your system.

12V DC power supplies are pretty easy to find.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-01-2012, 12:46 PM

The difficulty with plugging a car stereo to a 12 Volt power inverter is to find the appropriate inverter that will enable the output to be appropriate. Plugging a car stereo, the power comes from a battery with the capability of delivering thousands of watts, though limitted by a 15-30 amp fuse.

A power inverter works well on a continuous use application (laptop) where the power demand is stable. A car stereo as any other audio (dynamic) amplification device will have peaks & troughs. That means the power supply will need to have double the capacity of the car stereo requirements.

Again, you must look at cost to do this and problems versus the use of a Whole House Audio system....
post #8 of 18 Old 02-01-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sure. If that's what you want. Be aware car stereos work with 4 ohms speakers and the stereo has less air to push in a confined car environment. Your living room needs more power, but add an external amp ez enuff.

Now in the car the touch screen is always immediately accessible, in living room, u are not sitting in one spot 24x7. Ask yourself if every time u wanna change something u are willing to go "up to the wall" so to speak. Cool idea, but reality? U decide.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #9 of 18 Old 02-01-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

The difficulty with plugging a car stereo to a 12 Volt power inverter is to find the appropriate inverter that will enable the output to be appropriate.

Finding a high current 12V power supply is not difficult.

Quote:

A power inverter works well on a continuous use application (laptop) where the power demand is stable.

Computers are highly dynamic loads.

Quote:

That means the power supply will need to have double the capacity of the car stereo requirements.

No, the power supply has to be capable of supplying the current that the load demands. This is not a difficult task.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 PM

As stated several times. Power isn't going to be the issue. 12 volts with enough amps is a simple equation to find the right 12volt power adapter to run the deck.

You can get an 8 Ohm amp to run the home speakers which solves that problem.

Most decks will accept IR and have a remote or hands free steering adapter which gives you access from anywhere in the room.

Ultimately the issue is really why would you want to spend $500-$2,000+ on a Deck, adapter and Amp to install in your home?
post #11 of 18 Old 02-03-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr3wlo0se View Post

Most decks will accept IR and have a remote or hands free steering adapter which gives you access from anywhere in the room.

His post specifically says he's in love with the touch screen.

post #12 of 18 Old 02-05-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

His post specifically says he's in love with the touch screen.

The way i read it he is in love with the idea of having a wall mounted touch screen. Unless i'm reading it wrong.

He references using a car stereo because he states it looks like a cheaper solution. In the end after you modify everything to make it work it is not.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-05-2012, 10:43 AM

I installed a Jensen marine radio in by bathroom for similar reasons. I wanted waterproof controls for the system, and going with a marine system instead of something designed for the home was by far the cheapest way to go.

For power, I found a high power 12V supply from Mouser Electronics for arund $60, but it's a semi-open chassis, so not sure I'd use it if I did it all over again. You could also look at using an Xbox power adapter -- you can get a 203w on eBay pretty cheap, and you'd have a nice clean brick instead of a kludge.

The wall depth issue noted in previous posts would seem to be an issue. My system has two pieces, sot the only thing on the wall in the bathroom is a surface mounted control panel, with the main unit and power in a nearby closet.
post #14 of 18 Old 02-05-2012, 10:57 AM

Liked: 11
Dont most car stereo systems run particularly hot?? I'd want to ventilate the heck out of the unit when mounting...

I like the marine radio idea, a friend had one in his boat and they seem designed to take a better beating than an average 'in dash' head unit.
post #15 of 18 Old 02-06-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck_fr View Post

The difficulty with plugging a car stereo to a 12 Volt power inverter is to find the appropriate inverter that will enable the output to be appropriate. Plugging a car stereo, the power comes from a battery with the capability of delivering thousands of watts, though limitted by a 15-30 amp fuse.

How do you figure that? P=VA So a 12v 30amp circuit is only 360 watts. I think your are confusing "cranking amps" with continuous power capacity. Sure you can get a few hundred amps for a few seconds while starting the engine but that's it.

Most car electrical systems only produce around 70 amps max so that's less than a kilowatt and you still have the rest of the cars electrical load to run like the HVAC fans and lights, both of which take significant power.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #16 of 18 Old 02-06-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

Sure. If that's what you want. Be aware car stereos work with 4 ohms speakers and the stereo has less air to push in a confined car environment. Your living room needs more power, but add an external amp ez enuff.

So put two 8ohm speakers in parallel on each channel. Problem solved. Or you can run 8 ohms speakers on a 4ohm rated amp if you get enough volume for the room. You may only get half the power out but it will not do any damage to the amp, in fact it will run cooler.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #17 of 18 Old 02-08-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainiac View Post

Dont most car stereo systems run particularly hot?? I'd want to ventilate the heck out of the unit when mounting...

Only the ones with the built-in amplifier (RECEIVERS), but a touch screen most likely is a non-amp'ed unit which will require and in this case no big deal, an external amplifier. Unless it's one of those all-in-one, triple DIN unit (ugly).

post #18 of 18 Old 02-17-2012, 06:36 AM

Powered sonos with an ipod touch (or whatever smartphone you currently own). $499 + $199 if you don't have a smartphone
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page