HDBaseT vs. straight HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Closing up the walls in my house soon, and could use some help. I have 8 TV's to which I want to distribute HDMI, (incl 3D, 1080p/60, and future 4Kx2K if possible). Distances vary between 20 and 50 feet. There are two options I'm considering, and I'd enjoy hearing opinions about which option is better and why. I'd also entertain additional options.

1) Run Blue Jeans Cable Series-1 HDMI cables and use an Aurora Multimedia ASP-88 8x8 HDMI 1.4a matrix that is HDMI in, HDMI out.

2) Run UTP Cat-6 cables and use an Atlona AT-PRO2HD88M 8x8 HDMI 1.4a matrix that is HDMI in, HDBase-T out. Receivers would be Atlona AT-PRO2HDREC.

Within reason, reliability is more important than cost to me. Dropouts, sparklies, etc. are totally unacceptable to me at any price. I'd rather abandon centralized video and use all local sources than tolerate that. I'm after the best and most future-proof system I can self-install. Any thoughts about these two combos, or anything else? Please note that I've ruled out component distribution also.

So far, I have not been able to locate a single thread anyplace, where someone ran either of these two systems in their home. I will be sure to post results with whatever I decide. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 355
3) Run both. (minimum 2 cat6/cat5e, 3 or more is better)

Cat6/cat5e is much more "future-proof" than HDMI.

The Atlona piece is very new (is it shipping?), which is why you haven't seen postings about it. Never seen the Aurora units, but they don't have IR routing for source control which should be part of your system.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
if you can swing the money to do the Atlona version, HDBaseT is so much better of a solution.

disclosure... i work for Atlona.

Proud Daddy to Anastasia and Christopher.
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...
http://commonsensehasdied.blogspot.com/
post #4 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
it has been shipping since september.

Proud Daddy to Anastasia and Christopher.
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...
http://commonsensehasdied.blogspot.com/
post #5 of 11 Old 02-09-2012, 02:47 PM

Just one story but be wary of Atlona. My installer has been trying to track someone down in head office Cali for help with my quote (I suggested Atlona to him) for one month. The Ontario sales rep told my installer that he even has a difficult time getting in contact with head office. His exact words to my installer were "good luck". This was disappointing as I was looking forward to getting a quote on my project. I'm looking to install 8 by 8 or 16 by 16 HDBaseT. My installer is certified URC/RTI/crestron. He was looking to get into Atlona based on my suggestion. Looks like I'm going to get a quote on a DM system.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-12-2012, 12:10 PM

How does Intelix DIGI-HD-8X8 fare against Atlona AT-PRO2HD88M ?
post #7 of 11 Old 02-12-2012, 02:30 PM

Liked: 11
Its all built from the same people.
It goes, wyrstorm,anolta,and then every one els rebrands. SnapAV is the only one who makes and test there own stuff now,
You can go TBase but I would save your thousands and go with there regular double cats.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-12-2012, 05:10 PM

One of the most important things when doing HDMI distribution is the fact that most switchers downgrade the audio and video to the lowest common denominator. You will see hundreds of threads here or reviews on places like monoprice where individuals are upset that they are only getting 1080i or 2.0 stereo sound at their home theaters. Almost always it turns out that one of the switcher outputs is going to a basic TV with stereo sound.

I'm not sure yet if boxes exist to accept the full 1080p (or eventually 4k if you want) + HD audio and output it to the local TV. Just don't forget this in your search or you will likely be disappointed with the result.

I'm a big advocate of HDBaseT. You can see this thread I created. If you choose to run HDMI cables (don't forget the Blue Jeans series 1 are very thick are difficult to bend inside walls) do yourself a favor and run at least 1 but preferably 2 cat6 cables. This will vastly help if something does go wrong with one of your HDMI cables or an HDMI switcher. If you are adamant against sparkles I'd look towards something over cat6 and probably HDBaseT as that seems to work better than straight HDMI over long distances. Granted at 50' I doubt you'd have issues with straight HDMI but dealing with bends you may find you quickly get to 75 or even 100' when you thought it would be less.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrdsl23 View Post

I'm not sure yet if boxes exist to accept the full 1080p (or eventually 4k if you want) + HD audio and output it to the local TV. Just don't forget this in your search or you will likely be disappointed with the result.

There are boxes that accept the full 1080p + HD audio to output to the local TV, they're called $300 AVR's. Keep in mind, this will reduce the reliability on the video side.

AI Limited
post #10 of 11 Old 02-15-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Limited View Post

There are boxes that accept the full 1080p + HD audio to output to the local TV, they're called $300 AVR's. Keep in mind, this will reduce the reliability on the video side.

A lot of time the purpose of these types of switches is to not have to keep any local bulky A/V equipment for a clean look. Good luck trying to hide an AVR behind a flat mounted TV.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-17-2012, 02:33 AM

I'd go Cat6 if budget isn't too much of an issue. Run a couple to each TV and you should have an upgrade path in the future (you may even want to pull one more to hardwire internet to the TV at the same time).

Even the best HDMI cable money can buy will have a limited like with the speed things are moving at the moment.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page