recording video and audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 02-23-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure this is the right place to post this but I haven't found any more suitable forum. Please refer me to one if this is the wrong place.

I'm thinking about recording myself playing the piano, both audio and video. I have a very simple digital camera and the sound is pretty low quality. I have various options:
  • Use the camera as is though this is pretty low sound quality but the simplest
  • Use a better "external" microphone to record the sound
  • piano is able to output midi (best sound quality)

My problem is with the 2nd and 3rd options - how exactly do I end up combining/merging the video and audio? This is something I'm completely unfamiliar with and was hoping to get some info.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 68
For option two, can't you just plug an external mic into the camera?

MIDI isn't an audio signal.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-24-2012, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

For option two, can't you just plug an external mic into the camera?

MIDI isn't an audio signal.

My camera is one of those super thin ones without too many features. It doesn't have a microphone jack. I assume I'll have to find some software and stream both video and midi input to my PC and the software will handle that. However, that is something I've never done before and was looking for some help/tips.
post #4 of 23 Old 02-24-2012, 08:31 PM

Liked: 32
You will need a midi card for your computer, and yes you will need software such as Cakewalk, etc. that will interpret the midi input. Also, you can use midi output to playback on the piano, depending on the software.
post #5 of 23 Old 02-25-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, MIDI is not audio, my mistake. I guess it should be called digital (or just MIDI)?

I heard about Cakewalk and will look into it. However, I'm not sure I read about it in the context of recording video too.
post #6 of 23 Old 02-25-2012, 09:49 AM

Keep in mind, Cakewalk has a huge learning curve to it. It is one of the more mature products out there.
post #7 of 23 Old 02-27-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess it should be called digital (or just MIDI)?

It is called MIDI.

You don't need cakewalk.
You need something to produce audio from the MIDI data....or just record the piano's audio output.
You'll need some video editing software if you're going to record audio and video seperately.
post #8 of 23 Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
While you CAN do all of the above suggestions, they will all cost SOME money in terms of additional cables/software/etc., along with time for the learning curve. One alternative that I might suggest is that you go buy an inexpensive consumer-level DSLR that has video capability (or a dedicated video camera) and ensure you have the connections to use an external microphone. I suppose it comes down to what you have - more time and patience for learning how to sync different streams of audio and video, or more money to go buy an appropriate tool for what you wish to do.

I must admit, even though I play piano and drums, I'm still a little lost on MIDI, but I was under the impression that the piano acts as the trigger and you'd still need a sound source on the pc? Meaning that while every press of the key on the piano transmits digital information about the velocity, tone, sustain, etc. of the note, the computer uses that information and applies it against a sound source - meaning a stored sound file. So, you wouldn't really be getting your piano sound through midi unless your pc application has the exact sound files for your piano. At least, that is my rudimentary understanding of MIDI.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-27-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post

While you CAN do all of the above suggestions, they will all cost SOME money in terms of additional cables/software/etc., along with time for the learning curve. One alternative that I might suggest is that you go buy an inexpensive consumer-level DSLR that has video capability (or a dedicated video camera) and ensure you have the connections to use an external microphone. I suppose it comes down to what you have - more time and patience for learning how to sync different streams of audio and video, or more money to go buy an appropriate tool for what you wish to do.

I must admit, even though I play piano and drums, I'm still a little lost on MIDI, but I was under the impression that the piano acts as the trigger and you'd still need a sound source on the pc? Meaning that while every press of the key on the piano transmits digital information about the velocity, tone, sustain, etc. of the note, the computer uses that information and applies it against a sound source - meaning a stored sound file. So, you wouldn't really be getting your piano sound through midi unless your pc application has the exact sound files for your piano. At least, that is my rudimentary understanding of MIDI.

I don't mind the learning curve, and I'm fairly certain that recording the MIDI is the way to good - much better quality. I'm also thinking about having fun with software that will write the notation as I play.

Will continue to investigate, though thanks for the sound source tip. I will look into it and see what exactly that implies.
post #10 of 23 Old 02-27-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forummentat View Post

I don't mind the learning curve, and I'm fairly certain that recording the MIDI is the way to good - much better quality. I'm also thinking about having fun with software that will write the notation as I play.

Will continue to investigate, though thanks for the sound source tip. I will look into it and see what exactly that implies.

You have to understand that if you record MIDI, you are not recording what your piano sounds like at all. You're just recording what keys you're hitting, when and how hard (to over-simplifiy things). Then you can use that data to play back what you played on the piano on any other instrument that accepts MIDI. In your case you'd use a computer for this, and have a "virtual piano" in the computer play back what you played on the real piano. But it won't sound the same, just similar.

You might want to have a look at getting just a decent USB microphone and record audio and video separately, and then stitch it together in your video editing software of choice. Maybe something like http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001AS6OYC (I have no experience with it myself though).

Of course, you might end up wanting to do some audio treatment of your room to get a good result.
post #11 of 23 Old 02-28-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan.hallen View Post

You have to understand that if you record MIDI, you are not recording what your piano sounds like at all. You're just recording what keys you're hitting, when and how hard (to over-simplifiy things). Then you can use that data to play back what you played on the piano on any other instrument that accepts MIDI. In your case you'd use a computer for this, and have a "virtual piano" in the computer play back what you played on the real piano. But it won't sound the same, just similar.

You might want to have a look at getting just a decent USB microphone and record audio and video separately, and then stitch it together in your video editing software of choice. Maybe something like http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001AS6OYC (I have no experience with it myself though).

Of course, you might end up wanting to do some audio treatment of your room to get a good result.

Yes, I understood the midi part. I'll see if Yamaha has a sound source and see how similar it is to me playing. I would like to have it as close as possible to what I play.

Or..................

Something that just occurred to me - if I can use headphones to hear the keyboard, most likely I can hook a cable directly to my computer and record it. It won't be midi but it will be like the piano sounds and high quality.
post #12 of 23 Old 02-29-2012, 05:33 AM

Is there a line out on this keyboard, vs Headphone? A headphone jack plugged into a soundcard input is going to cause distortion. If this is for a audition, I would just record on a digital camera, or on the computer with a decent mic setup & camera, and Windows 7, you can use Windows Live Movie Maker http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...es/movie-maker to edit the final product.
post #13 of 23 Old 02-29-2012, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Is there a line out on this keyboard, vs Headphone? A headphone jack plugged into a soundcard input is going to cause distortion. If this is for a audition, I would just record on a digital camera, or on the computer with a decent mic setup & camera, and Windows 7, you can use Windows Live Movie Maker http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...es/movie-maker to edit the final product.

What exactly do you mean by "line out"?
The keyboard can output MIDI and "regular" audio (two headphone jacks). Why would the latter one going to cause distortion if I record it on my computer, as I'm going to connect a cable directly from the keyboard audio output to my PC?
post #14 of 23 Old 03-01-2012, 05:17 AM

Those are not headphone jacks. One should be a line out, so that you can hook up to a monitor speaker, and the other would be used to hook up to a sound board. Who is the manufacturer and what is the model of this keyboard?
post #15 of 23 Old 03-01-2012, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Those are not headphone jacks. One should be a line out, so that you can hook up to a monitor speaker, and the other would be used to hook up to a sound board. Who is the manufacturer and what is the model of this keyboard?

I think there is some confusion. The piano model is MPC3 manufactured by Yamaha. It is an acoustic piano with silent mechanism - a level disengages the hammers and activates optical sensors. There is a control box with MIDI in/out as well as two headphone jacks.
post #16 of 23 Old 03-01-2012, 08:21 PM

Your only option will be, if you want to record the sound, you need a decent studio microphone and unit that allows it to attach to your computer, and you also will need a DV camcorder that you can take the finished product, pull into the computer to edit the soundtrack on, so that you get a final product, if using this as an audition tape or video.

http://www.pssl.com/USB-Audio-Interfaces?pg=100
http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equip...nterface.xhtml
post #17 of 23 Old 03-03-2012, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Your only option will be, if you want to record the sound, you need a decent studio microphone and unit that allows it to attach to your computer, and you also will need a DV camcorder that you can take the finished product, pull into the computer to edit the soundtrack on, so that you get a final product, if using this as an audition tape or video.

http://www.pssl.com/USB-Audio-Interfaces?pg=100
http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equip...nterface.xhtml

I have purchased a video camera with a microphone jack - that'll arrive in a few days and I can start playing with that.

In the meantime, I got a cable and connected it from the digital keyboard 1/4 jack (headphones) to my PC. The recording has no outside noise but it is quite crappy. Lots of static. I wonder if this is a super cheap cable, better software is needed to clear stuff up, PC hardware, or am I just missing something?

I recorded using two softwares: Windows Movie Maker and Sound Recorder. The latter one was better (less hiss/static) but I don't know if it was just random or not. Both recordings sucked.
post #18 of 23 Old 03-04-2012, 05:25 AM

You will get static using a headphone jack into a line input for a computer. You need to set up a good quality studio mic, using one of the boxes & linked, so that you can record the vocal part (ie piano), then edit into the video portion.

There is also Cubas for sound editing and recording, but again, you have to use a real setup, not something just thrown together. Even if this is just for friends and family, just set up the camcorder record, and do not worry about quality. If for an audition, you may be better to rent a studio that does this stuff. Especially if it is a one time deal.
post #19 of 23 Old 03-04-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You will get static using a headphone jack into a line input for a computer.

No, you won't.
But, if you plugged this line level signal into the PCs mic input, you'll get a lot of distortion.

Quote:

You need to set up a good quality studio mic,

No, you don't. You have an electronic sound source, you're already ahead of the game.

Quote:

There is also Cubas for sound editing and recording, but again, you have to use a real setup, not something just thrown together.

It's called Cubase, it's $500.00 and is used for composing using MIDI, its audio recording capability is secondary.
Windows movie maker will do what you want, and is free.

Quote:

I wonder if this is a super cheap cable, better software is needed to clear stuff up, PC hardware, or am I just missing something?

What did you plug it into?
post #20 of 23 Old 03-04-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

No, you won't.
But, if you plugged this line level signal into the PCs mic input, you'll get a lot of distortion.

No, you don't. You have an electronic sound source, you're already ahead of the game.

It's called Cubase, it's $500.00 and is used for composing using MIDI, its audio recording capability is secondary.
Windows movie maker will do what you want, and is free.

What did you plug it into?

I plugged the cable directly from the keyboard headphone jack to the computer's microphone jack.

I have examined the control box on the keyboard further. It also has AUX in/out jacks which I don't quite know what they are. Is the AUX the jacks I should use?

You mentioned "But, if you plugged this line level signal into the PCs mic input, you'll get a lot of distortion". What other options do I have?

Thanks.
post #21 of 23 Old 03-04-2012, 10:56 AM

As I stated before, the Aux jacks are for hooking the keyboard up to a monitor speaker or mixing board, and inputing secondary mixing source back in, so that the person playing can hear what the audience is hearing.
post #22 of 23 Old 03-05-2012, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What other options do I have?

Plug the "line level" output from the piano into the "line level" input on your PC.

Quote:
As I stated before, the Aux jacks are for hooking the keyboard up to a monitor speaker or mixing board,

The audio outputs can be connected to anything you want to feed audio to, in this case, your PC.
post #23 of 23 Old 03-05-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

I read a little bit more about this. As I understand, line in is definitely the way to go. However, my laptop doesn't have a line in (that would be the blue jack). From what I read, I'll have to buy some external device that is meant to do that and connect it via USB. The wire will go from the keyboard to this device to my computer via USB. Something like the following:
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA2.../dp/B000KW2YEI
or
http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Techno.../dp/B000BVV2IC
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page