Cat 5/6 based IR extender that can handle dual band IR signals? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 34 Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The two way remote programming is called XMP. the remote and receiver communicate with each other to automatically program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 04-28-2013, 04:32 PM

Just wondering how did that HDMI/IR extender work for you. Did it handle the dual band IR?
post #33 of 34 Old 05-01-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Frustrations galore!
The beauty of the monoprice "4x4 matrix over cat6" is that it has one REALLY nice feature... It only sends IR codes to the specific device you've chosen to watch (via the matrix switcher) and not just bast em out to all the devices.
If anyone has tried any hacks that worked, I'm ALL ears.

I also just recently purchased & installed monoprice's 4x4 matrix product. I cut the chord, bought a tivo premeire and wanted a whole home video system. I didn't like the receiver/switch boxes that shipped with the 4x4 matrix so I bought my own IR distribution system.

Many of these IR distribution systems are re-branded products. Many are identical, same inputs/outputs/power supplies. These distribution systems supply 12V to the sensor/receivers. These sensor/receivers typically flash an LED (the 12V supplies are locally regulated @ 5V to power the IR receiver and the flasher LED).

I took apart one of the 4x4 matrix receiver boxes to see what made them tick (yes I'm an electrical engineer with years of experience so I am very comfortable with what I was doing).
The actual IR receiver part internally is almost directly wired to the CAT6 connector(s) to send back to the 4x4 matrix. I didn't seriously investigate the IR circuit but it seemed extremely simple (cheap) and thus I assumed it was not a dual band receiver.

The IR distribution products typically have an IR receiver "module" (device):
http://www.vishay.com/ir-receiver-modules/
These parts are specified as supporting single carrier frequencies.
If you look at the bottom of the list, you'll see some parts don't have specified carrier frequencies.

From their datasheets:
"AC coupled response from 30 kHz to 50 kHz, all data formats" or "AC coupled response from 20 kHz to 60 kHz, all data formats"
"the modulated output signal, carrier out, can be used for repeater applications and code learning applications."

HTH!

"HDTV the new designer drug"
post #34 of 34 Old 05-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
RF. The answer to the dual band IR problem. Use RF remotes and base stations. I like URC but many prefer RTI.

AI Limited
Reply Home A/V Distribution