How do I get analog from HDMI? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-03-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got a Yamaha RX-V671 & Samsung PN59D6500DF. They work fine. Unfortunately the V671 does not output analog audio from an HDMI source.

I have a really good stereo system (Nikko Alpha VI, NAD 1155 & big JBL speakers) that I want to use with this new home theater system. My HDMI sources are an HD cable box, Samsung BluRay and OPPO DVD.

It looks like Yamaha & all the other A/V receiver companies expect you to chuck everything and use their stuff. Basically, I want to use my existing 2ch stereo system for left/right and the V671 for everything else. Thought about using HDMI splitters to HDMI/component converters but it seems that all the reviews say they are junk.

Thoughts? Solutions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-03-2012, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
post #3 of 11 Old 03-03-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting device. I could insert it between the A/V receiver HDMI output and the TV. Problem is it is only HDMI 1.3 compliant and I will be doing 3D. If I understand things, I'll need HDMI 1.4.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-03-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

The TV has an optical output (but no analog outputs). Is there a way to adapt the optical output to good old analog for my stereo? That might be the simplest way to solve this.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-03-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsquared View Post

It looks like Yamaha & all the other A/V receiver companies expect you to chuck everything and use their stuff. Basically, I want to use my existing 2ch stereo system for left/right and the V671 for everything else.

Well, not chuck everything, just the pre-amp and amp that the receiver has built-in and you paid for...

Better solution would have been an AVR with pre-amp outputs such that you could hook up your Nikko as mains and then use the built-in amp channels for the rest of the system. Still wouldn't re-use the NAD piece, which really is duplicating the switching/pre-amp functions of the AVR.

I am surprised that the Yamaha doesn't have pre-amp outputs. Many other brands/models in that price range have them. Not at all uncommon (among the AVS crowd at least) to use an external amp with an AVR.

Only suggestion without exchanging the Yamaha I would think would be a speaker selector to switch between the NAD and Yamaha depending on which source you're using.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #6 of 11 Old 03-03-2012, 04:21 PM

Yes. I have been looking into this to solve a different problem

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=21729976

I have found two optical to analog converters that should do the trick for you.

Sewell Digital to Analog 5.1 Dts/ac-3 Decoder Surround Sound (Toslink/coax to Rca)

GefenTV Digital Audio Decoder
post #7 of 11 Old 03-03-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Like Jautor said.

Return the receiver for one that has pre-outs to send to the Nikko amp then to the JBL speakers. Do not use the NAD.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-05-2012, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Need to retain the NAD because I have other devices for it. To summarize, the Yamaha A/V doesn't output analog audio from HDMI sources. The Samsung TV doesn't have Toslink or any analog output. I suspect HDCP is involved in all of this.

Here is what I'm going to try:

1x2 Powered HDMI Splitter PRO Series from cabletrain.com
Monoprice HDMI to Composite Video Converter from monoprice.com

Don't know if they will work but it should be a binary yes/no. Must say that in the last 3 days I've learned a lot about HDMI etc (more than I really wanted).

As for (modern) A/V receivers, it looks like none of them provide analog audio from an HDMI source. We can probably thank Hollywood and HDCP. I could be wrong and would love to be corrected. I have to believe that I'm traveling a path already traveled by others. Can't imagine an audiophile chucking his Krell for an A/V receiver.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-05-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Need to retain the NAD because I have other devices for it.

Meaning you have analog sources that you don't want to route through the analog section of the Yamaha?

Quote:

To summarize, the Yamaha A/V doesn't output analog audio from HDMI sources. The Samsung TV doesn't have Toslink or any analog output. I suspect HDCP is involved in all of this.

Maybe, but more likely the digital processing is just downstream from the analog switching, and besides, that AVR doesn't have pre-outs for *anything*.

Quote:

Here is what I'm going to try:

1x2 Powered HDMI Splitter PRO Series from cabletrain.com
Monoprice HDMI to Composite Video Converter from monoprice.com

Don't know if they will work but it should be a binary yes/no. Must say that in the last 3 days I've learned a lot about HDMI etc (more than I really wanted).

What do you think that is going to do for you?

Quote:

As for (modern) A/V receivers, it looks like none of them provide analog audio from an HDMI source. We can probably thank Hollywood and HDCP. I could be wrong and would love to be corrected. I have to believe that I'm traveling a path already traveled by others.

Again, probably more about the design of the digital / analog sections than HDCP.

Quote:

Can't imagine an audiophile chucking his Krell for an A/V receiver.

Nope, they wouldn't. Any audiophile worth his green felt pen would create a dedicated 2-channel system in a room without some nasty TV and center channel speaker in the way...

The rest of us just use a pre/pro (not a receiver) and a nice big amp.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #10 of 11 Old 03-05-2012, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

jautor,

"What do you think that is going to do for you?"

I hope that the devices I mentioned will provide the analog l/r signals for my 2ch stereo. Could be wrong. This all started because I was "informed" that the Yamaha was one of the few A/V receivers that had analog audio outs. After buying, I learn that it's not with HDMI sources. I'm not a well healed audiophile. My 2ch stereo and home theater have to fit in the same room in my castle. What's a pre/pro? Have the nice big amp.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-05-2012, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hope that the devices I mentioned will provide the analog l/r signals for my 2ch stereo. Could be wrong.

I think it's going to cause you pain and suffering...

If it does produce analog L/R out, it's because it has downshifted the HDMI sources to 2-channel PCM, which it will do all the time, even if you wanted to use the 5-channel stuff.

Why not just dual-run the analog outputs from your HDMI devices to your NAD in parallel with the HDMI that goes to the Yamaha. You still have the speaker switching to deal with.

Quote:

This all started because I was "informed" that the Yamaha was one of the few A/V receivers that had analog audio outs. After buying, I learn that it's not with HDMI sources.

Seriously, can you take/send it back? Or is it too late?

Quote:

What's a pre/pro? Have the nice big amp.

Pre-amp / processor. The modern equivalent of your NAD. Better feature set / performance than the receiver, and would work well with your amp (plus another one for the rest of the setup). Two well-known and respected examples:

http://www.integrahometheater.com/mo...eamplifier&p=i

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=AV7005

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page