Series/Parallel Wiring Russound ABus - Awful Idea? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-06-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,
I am completing a system for Russound A-Bus. I have a A-H484 hubs and A-K3 keypads throughout the home. Oddly, a keypad was installed in the master bedroom and speaker wire run to attic space, but no speakers installed.

My goal for the space is very low volume background. Quality over quantity. The space is 18' x 14' with 9' tray ceiling.

In general the A-bus system works well for background, but what I don't necessarily like is the localization of the sound. With carpeted areas, the highs seem to shoot straight down and get absorbed. I believe this leads to a general muddy sound and stereo nature gets lost.

Given the very small amp in the keypad and the nature of the system, I do not want to mess with speaker impedance with the Russound system too much.

One of my thoughts was to buy four in-ceiling stereo speakers (with the left and right in one housing) and wire each set of four virtual speakers in series/parallel. I would install reasonably close to the four corners. This should present the amp with correct load and would perhaps distribute the sound better.

I realize that I would be fighting some noise cancelling in the application. I would look for as efficient speakers as feasible.

Does anyone have experience in this or would offer suggestions on the basic issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-11-2012, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Speaker size and position will play a roll in how well the sound will disperse. 6" speakers in that size of a room will most likely lead to disappointment on its own, power is needed as well. I'm not gonna tell you that you need a dedicated amp however the Russound abus keypads don't have a lot of power.

If you have access to an old av receiver or amp you could temporarily hook it up to see if more power would solve your problem, this would be the cheapest way to trouble shoot the issue. Next step would be bigger/more speakers, to answer your impedance question you would want to keep the load at 8 ohms. from my experience as long as the amp is seeing a load in its capacity you shouldn't have problems.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page