bad wire, what now? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-12-2012, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a speaker wire that is run for a left channel in-wall... it's about 80ft from the rack to the speaker.

Anyway the wire is bad (I get no sound). I have troubleshot it like crazy, it is def the wire.

The only other cables that are going to that location are 2 cat5... but I don't think I can use those to carry that voltage?

So any wireless solutions out there? I have tried one from best buy but it is about 20 feet too far out of range.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-12-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Are both conductors bad? Did you try basic wire troubleshooting by connecting the two conductors together at one end, and checking with an ohmmeter for continuity?

You can strip and combine the wires in a cat5 cable to get a "larger" wire. If you can salvage 1/2 the speaker wire, and burn an entire cat5 for the other, you'd get a ~16AWG wire (assuming 24AWG cat5). If the speaker wire is completely bad, you can either:

1) Use 1 cat5, twist 4 wires together for each lead (+/-) for an effective ~18AWG. Not great, but probably ok.

2) Consume 2 cat5's, twist all 8 wires together for each, get an effective ~15AWG.

I would go with option #1, but try it for 1/2 the speaker wire if you can determine if you find the other half ok. Start by twisting 4 of the cat5 wires together, and use that to replace one of the speaker leads - if that doesn't work, try the other lead. Still nothing, twist the other four wires together to make a new 'pair'...

Good luck!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 7 Old 03-12-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Oh boy! I saw this outside home distribution as the latest response and thought it said Bad Wine! What now? LOL

I agree using cat 5 cable will work fine. Some people twist up speaker cable using twisted pair cable.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-12-2012, 05:53 PM

Liked: 12
I would try the continuity test first. Make sure you can identify the issue. Get a fox and hound if you can, this can even tell you which lead is bad. I used a cat 5 twisted together for speaker wire at my hunting cabin, cause I left and forgot that wire. I wasn't pushing lots of power, just 45w zampv2 from para sound. It worked out ok, since it's mine I didn't care to much. I would prefer also to try to salvage 1 good lead from cable and use it for positive terminal.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-12-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronomy View Post

thought it said Bad Wine! What now? LOL

One of the few things cat5e can't fix.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #6 of 7 Old 03-12-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
great thanks guys... I tried it with 4 wires twisted and it worked... turns out the red wire is bad and the black is ok.

So would it be better to use all 8 of the cat5 rather than 4 for the red?
post #7 of 7 Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoulos View Post

great thanks guys... I tried it with 4 wires twisted and it worked... turns out the red wire is bad and the black is ok.

So would it be better to use all 8 of the cat5 rather than 4 for the red?

I would. I'm not sure it will help too much, but sending that kind of voltage thru it you can't use the other leads for anything anyway, so I say go for it
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page