Snap AV 4x4 matrix - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-12-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I am in Sydney Australia and have been reading about the Snap AV products, they seem to be good quality and work out of the box coming from the little information i can find.

I jam looking for an out of the box matrix plug and play system that will do HDMI over one or two cat6 to 4 displays with IR passthrough to control all 4 components. I know there is alot of variables but i just want one that works.

I'm pretty keen on getting my hands on Snap AV's 4x4 HDMI 0ver cat5/6 matrix but I am not sure if the B-210 or the new B-300 is more suitable.

Problem is I can't buy direct from Snap AV nor from Australia due to the fact they only sell to installers as you are all aware.

Now to the B210 or B300 question.

Over here with our paytv (foxtel) remote IR is at 56Khz and all matrixes we can get out hands on will not work with this. I have bought a few units and the only one that has worked so far is the atlona but the 4 x 4 matrix is fairly costly, which is the main reason why I am keen on the Snap AV unit.

Now in regards to the B210 over the B300 I have had someone extensively test the B210 unit, he threw all he could at it to get it to fail and it didn't. Now I am no AV expert but I have done alot of reading and asked for alot of advice. so buying the B300 from the other side of the world when I don't have 100% knowledge and confidence in it is not ideal. I would prefer to have local knowledge and support which I can get with the B-210. Now you might ask why not buy it locally well the price i got for the B210 locally was 2.5 times the price I could get the B300 for from the US. Hence why I am here. The prices we pay in Oz for Av gear is ridiculous.

Also the specs of the B300 are actually not much better than the B210 anyway. The video bandwidth is the same 2.25Gbps over one of the three TMDS data channel as compared to 6.75Gbps over three channels. So basically the same video bandwidth. Also I don't really need the bi-directional control that the B-300 has.

I believe that the IR will not be reliable when it comes to the B-300 being only over one cable, it will interfere with the DDC and CEC channel as they are all serial data connections that work around a similar frequency.

My house has already been wired up with two cat6 to each display and then back to a central hub. The cable requirements for the B-300 are pretty specific and i believe the b-210 would be more stable. If I put the b-300 on unshielded data cable, you can cut the max lengths down a fair bit (in this case, in an ideal environments the B-300 can transmit 1080P @60Hz ~ 10m less than the B-210)

The option of the Hd BaseT is probably just on the little too expensive and maybe a little overspec for what i require but maybe my only option.

Is anyone her able to get there hands on a B-210 matrix, 4 x baluns, targets and emitters and are willing to ship to Sydney Australia. Or does anyone here with hands on experience think the B-300 would be ok for my situation.

Cheers
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-12-2012, 06:25 PM

Liked: 12
They are real nice units. I've used 8-10 of them in my spec house jobs. I have configured them, then reconfigured them in 10 was from Sunday, and have had no issues with the B-210. The only issue that arose had to do with using 1 3D tv and 3 non 3D with a 3D player set to auto play side-by-side. The issue was not necessarily with the 210, but protocol. We just manually set 3D when desired too we changed the rest of the units to 3D. No biggie, just those things you deal with when new technologies show up. I couldn't help you wholesale though, I'm only a retailer. I do not have a wholesale license, and I do not know of any wholesales that sell snap. It's a direct to dealer only item.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-12-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

jmaxbrod

Cheers thanks for your reply. I have only heard good things about the units. I am open to both the 210 and 300 models.
post #4 of 14 Old 03-12-2012, 07:24 PM

Liked: 12
With that said the 300 is an improvement. But I have lots of confidence in the 210.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-12-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I think that's what I need a few actual end users and installers to let me know that the B-300 is a great unit like the B-215

Hard sometimes being down at the arse end of the world to find these things out.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-29-2012, 09:58 PM

A bit of a thread resurrection

I am in the same boat as Bent Banana. Living in Australia has many drawbacks

If there is anyone here willing to sell to an Aussie please send me a PM
post #7 of 14 Old 10-18-2012, 12:48 PM

Hi Guys-

Came across this post and wanted to give you a quick reply that we do sell in Australia though a distributor. Here is the website:

http://www.snapav.com.au/media-distribution/switchers.html

And a link to the dealer application page:

https://www.snapav.com.au/customer/account/create/

If you have any issues or questions, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Thanks,
Erin
post #8 of 14 Old 11-20-2012, 04:02 AM

Liked: 11
Hi Erin,

How about you sell it to me for the US RRP and I will pay the freight?
post #9 of 14 Old 11-21-2012, 01:27 AM

Erin, there's a $700 difference between Australian prices and what it can be had for in the US.

why is that?
post #10 of 14 Old 11-21-2012, 07:05 PM

It appears Erin has lost her enthusiasm for promoting SnapAV to an informed community.

It is a travesty that the importers of this gear see fit to gouging Australia simply because they can.

The list is endless and they are all as bad as eachother.
drarthur likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-21-2012, 08:16 PM

The list truly is endless

I was looking at Control 4. The price of the controller was $2300 in Australia, can be had in the US for $900. Only problem is that when should you import yourself they will block it via the net once it's registered.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-22-2012, 03:51 PM

pm me an emale addy
post #13 of 14 Old 05-28-2013, 08:50 AM

Have a SnapAV B300 matrix. Most of the time it works fine, but every now and then it will flicker and drop the video for a few seconds and keep doing this for a minute or so unless I switch away from the source and back a few tiems. Also sometimes the matrix will freeze up and will not change sources anymore unless I physically power cycle the matrix. Anyone else ever had this problem? It is controlled by a Pro Control Prolink Z system.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-24-2014, 07:05 AM

>>> Problem is I can't buy direct from Snap AV <<<<br />

Right, and that is why you should look for something else. SnapAV is just too hard to acquire (even in the U.S.). There are many other similar products that you can readily purchase.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page