Whole House Audio opinion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-15-2012, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This kind of a newbie question, one for parents.

I'm doing a WHA setup for new construction with equipment from HTD, and I'm trying to decide if I should install in my kids rooms.

I can do the whole house comfortably, 6 zones, each with an Aux jack for MP3 play or intercom, nice system. But we have not included the kids rooms. that will cost money I don't have right now. I can prewire, no problem there, and install later....but do kids really need it?

My friend in the industry says they typically ignore kids rooms, he says kids tend to have a boom box or something.

Ultimately, it comes down to what one wants, I know...just curious to the general consensus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-15-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfit View Post

that will cost money I don't have right now. I can prewire, no problem there, and install later....but do kids really need it?

I think you answered your own question. Absolutely do the pre-wire. Then, later, if the kids say "I wish I had that in my room", you're set for a simple job...

And "need" is a strong word for audio in most any zone.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 7 Old 03-15-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
My 8 year old has said that he wants a zone in his room. I'd like to have control over what he listens to - but whether it's the whole-house audio system (Nuvo) or an iTouch (or other music player), I don't think I'll have much control either way. For the time being, I'll hold off, but it would be very easy to add speakers and KPs to my kids' rooms (attic above).

How easy would it be to retrofit cables later? It will probably cost you a few hundred dollars to prewire a couple rooms for distributed audio.

You may want to consider wiring their windows with alarm contacts, depending on how easy it is to 'sneak out'.

Ron_

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 7 Old 03-15-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

How easy would it be to retrofit cables later? It will probably cost you a few hundred dollars to prewire a couple rooms for distributed audio.

Good caveat - if it will be easy to do later, you can skip the pre-wire. I didn't wire my spare bedrooms because I could get to it. But I've now wired them, and it took a lot longer than I expected. In hindsight, I would have pre-wired it (assuming $100/room).

If you're wiring it yourself, then yes, absolutely do it...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #5 of 7 Old 03-15-2012, 08:16 PM

I think (depending on your system) if you put the master controls maybe in the master bedroom and then had independent volume controls in each bedroom that wouldn't be a bad idea. With the HTD system for example you run all cat5s to the keypads in the master and the the speaker wire runs to the zones through independent volume controls. This way the kids have it, but you have full control.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-15-2012, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

I think you answered your own question. Absolutely do the pre-wire. Then, later, if the kids say "I wish I had that in my room", you're set for a simple job...

And "need" is a strong word for audio in most any zone.

Jeff

QED.

thats the answer.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-15-2012, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Excelent advice all around.

Thank you all.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List