Are there any industry wiring standards? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-15-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys. I've been a long time creeper and a first time poster. I'm looking to pre-wire my new home. Are there any industry standards that I need to follow or guidelines that are available as a reference tool when I do this?

I've pre-wired home theater before and I find myself quite capable to get the job done. But I just want to make sure that everything I do follows correct code and work practices. Is there any reference material or manuals available anywhere that you guys know of?

Thanks!
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-15-2012, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Not particularly, but there are common / best practices - the Cocoontech Wiki has a lot of info.

For "whole house audio", the CEA does have a specification (paid content), which can be summarized easily (and often quoted here): home run speaker wire, loop it through a volume/keypad location in each zone, and run a cat5e control wire in parallel to the keypad location.

Post some sketches / floorplans and your list - you'll get lot of input. Just double the amount of wire you think you need before you start, and then the stuff we'll suggest won't seem so crazy on top of it.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The CEA 2030 standard was revised in Feb 2011. I don't know what, if any, changes were made. It only covers distributed stereo audio, and is nicely summarized, IMO, by jautor above.

If one is considering intercoms too, then it would be 2 cat cables to the KP location, instead of only 1.

Dennis Erskine's group also does Resi LV design. You may me able to hire a local CI for the design work, too.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 06:22 AM

Liked: 32
Some areas in the U.S. require the installer or home owner to be licensed to install low voltage (money grabber is why), where as others do not require a license for low voltage wiring. Follow the IRC & NEC if in the U.S., if in Canada or California, follow their codes, and you should be fine.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
So, California is not in the US now? Could be. So many people here speak Spanish, Russian, Ukranian, etc.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

So, California is not in the US now? Could be. So many people here speak Spanish, Russian, Ukranian, etc.

It never was, due to they are like Chicago. Live in their own fantasy world, and unlike Chicago, California believes that everything is bad for you, and that there should be regulations and taces for everything.

Where as Chicago is full of hot air and crooked politicians, that they think that Chicago IS both the state capital and they rest of the state they are attached to, is nothing but a bunch of backwoods toothless rednecks.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, California, like Mexico, has adopted the NEC as its code. Even LA county has signed on after years of doing things their own way.

Funny thing about taxes. My total tax bite (property tax, income tax, sales tax, etc.) is lower than it would be in Texas.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply guys (and the hijack).

Basically I know HOW to do it. I have done 5.1 prewires before. But I just wanted to make sure I am not violating any codes. And also if there were any industry standards I should know about.

My main concerns are wiring in exterior walls, ceiling speakers where there is a vapor barrier present and where and where not to drill holes in studs. I am having a tough time finding any info regarding running pipe or conduit for future. Where I have to run it, is 3' up and 2' over through a stud.

If there was a book to consult I would just do that and learn a little bit more. As it is I'm learning as I go.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankuz View Post

...I just wanted to make sure I am not violating any codes.

You will have to check with your local jurisdiction to find out what codes are in place. We talk about NEC around here a lot, but that is a model code. It doesn't have the force of law until it is adopted by reference by your state, county, or municipality. Most adopt some version, but the version they adopt differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and it is not uncommon for them to make modifications.
Quote:

...vapor barrier...

You want to maintain the integrity of the vapor barrier.
Quote:

...where not to drill holes in studs...

There are limitations on where you can drill holes in studs, beams, etc., and the size they can be. You will have to check you local building code.
Quote:

..a book to consult...

Home depot has books that may help. And this might help you.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Wow that does help a lot. Thanks.

I will have to do some more research about local codes though (Manitoba, Canada).
post #11 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 05:14 PM

dankuz, there is some great info at the buildingscience.com website regarding structures and keeping airtight. Sorry for the derail, but you have to inject some form of humor into threads to lighten things up sometimes.

Over at diychatroom.com, there are a few Canadian electricians and other trades that can help answer about your vapor barrier questions. The IRc would state building codes, but local jurisdiction may have their spin on it, same for electrical.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 81
When I retrofitted conduit in my house, I ran it by the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) first, to make sure I was using the right product, and installing it correctly. He was more than happy to discuss it over the phone. In fact, he talked my ear off. Really helpful guy.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #13 of 13 Old 03-16-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankuz View Post

...local codes though (Manitoba, Canada).

So, NEC would probably not apply. I think Candian Electrical Code is the equivalent for Canada. Works the same way. It is adopted by reference by the local jurisdiction. May be local changes. CSA is trying to harmonize it with NEC.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page