Multi-Source Speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-15-2012, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will be using the rear surrounds in my living room area for the WHA as
well. How do I accomplish this?

I would like it set up so if I am listening the the WHA system and turn on the TV with surround sound, the rear speakers that were playing music are overridden and start playing the movie content without interfering with the rest of the WHA.

I would Be doing this in the living room, kitchen, and master bed room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 53
why not just use the whole surround system as your WHA in that room?
Old 03-16-2012, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 99
What WHA system?

You could use the WHA output as a source to the local 5.1 AVR.

Or, use a level-sensing switch to share the rear speakers. The switch has 2 inputs, the local and the WHA. If the switch senses an audio signal from the WHA, it switches the output to that, from the local.

Take a look at the Niles SAS-1, it's one of many available. I've never used that one, as Nuvo has their own sensing A-B switch.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Old 03-16-2012, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

I will be using the HDT MC66Set-KC7 for the WHA.

Using the WHA as an input to the 5.1 is an option but only for the living room, I will need to do this in the kitchen and master bedroom.

I like the idea of the level-sensing switch. I will do some research on those. Is there anything particular I should be looking for in one?
Old 03-16-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVavra View Post

Using the WHA as an input to the 5.1 is an option but only for the living room, I will need to do this in the kitchen and master bedroom.

You have 5.1 setups in those room as well, or do you just want to hear the TV audio on the WHA speakers?

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 99
As jautor alluded, you'll need a switching amp to listen to the TV audio over the kitchen and MBR speakers, and not just a simple level-sensing switch.

Nuvo offers both.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Old 03-16-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

If you're distributing video, you can also just connect the set-top box to your WHA system as a source as well. Then the "TV audio" simply shows up as another source...

If not, there's also the Niles TVA50 to do this for non-surround zones.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Old 03-16-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

The kitchen and master will not have 5.1. And I do want to here the tv on the WHA speakers in those rooms.

I am distributing video. Hooking up the sat receiver as an aditional source is an option if I have an available input.

I am still in the pre-wiring stage and want to make sure I have speaker wires ran to where I need them to accomplish what I am looking to do. Home running them back to the rack should be enough to accomplish what I am wanting to do correct?
Old 03-17-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVavra View Post

I am distributing video. Hooking up the sat receiver as an additional source is an option if I have an available input.

If you just want TV audio playing in the zones, you should absolutely plan on making the sat receiver a WHA source. I use this all the time for sporting events and listening to the morning news.

Quote:
I am still in the pre-wiring stage and want to make sure I have speaker wires ran to where I need them to accomplish what I am looking to do. Home running them back to the rack should be enough to accomplish what I am wanting to do correct?

The interrupt for the 5.1 system needs a bit more wiring, but yes, home run all the WHA speaker wires. For the surround interrupt, home run WHA wire to wherever your 5.1 system will be terminated, so that all the wires are in one place. For flexibility I would home run a cat5e to that spot, and also run one between there and the local zone's keypad location. That will allow you to use any of the schemes for sharing the speakers.

Jeff

Old 03-17-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Luckily everything will be housed in the central rack so hopefully I will be ok with the wiring possibilities.