help needed to hide all equipments - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-16-2012, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,
I am planning to hide all my equipments and move them in the basement here are the details of equipments

1- HDMI cable box
2- HDMI DVD
3- Composite dish set box
4- Media center PC

I just have coax and Ethernet connection available from my basement, and I would like to connect two TVs with these equipment, I need advise to buy A/V switch which can be connected through Ethernet and IR repeater to control over coax all these equipments from two rooms

I would really appreciate you guys if you can help me to chose the right equipment to do this setup.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-16-2012, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Any thougths?
post #3 of 15 Old 03-17-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Exactly what wire(s) do you have from the basement to each of the TV locations? Can you run more wire between them?

If the house wasn't wired for distributing video, your choices to do this without running more wire will be limited and relatively expensive.

You can do some reading around here, look for "HDMI matrix switch" and "HDMI over cat5" regarding distribution. IR remote repeating is built into a lot of these products, and if not, can be handled separately, or can be avoided by using RF remotes instead.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 15 Old 03-17-2012, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

I do have cat5/ethernate and coax wiring from basement and I don't have any choice to run more wires I am looking to have HDMI matrix switch which can handle HDMI, component and VGA.
Could you please suggest good matrix switch and RF solution which work easily
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Exactly what wire(s) do you have from the basement to each of the TV locations? Can you run more wire between them?

If the house wasn't wired for distributing video, your choices to do this without running more wire will be limited and relatively expensive.

You can do some reading around here, look for "HDMI matrix switch" and "HDMI over cat5" regarding distribution. IR remote repeating is built into a lot of these products, and if not, can be handled separately, or can be avoided by using RF remotes instead.

Jeff

post #5 of 15 Old 03-17-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.allaboutadapters.com/hdmuavcewico.html

Any thoughts for this product?
post #6 of 15 Old 03-17-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

You have individual Cat5e/coax runs from the basement to each TV location you want to use?

You need to get your sources to a common video type (HDMI or component), then look for an appropriate matrix. If your cable box and DVD player have component video outputs, that will be much, much easier and simpler to implement.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #7 of 15 Old 03-17-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomi640 View Post

http://www.allaboutadapters.com/hdmuavcewico.html

Any thoughts for this product?

Many PC video adapter can do component instead of VGA, otherwise that product is easily replaced by any modern AV receiver. But neither of those get you two outputs (for both TVs).

Unless you're ok with the same thing showing on both TVs at the same time? If so, this would work...

Jeff

post #8 of 15 Old 03-17-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You have individual Cat5e/coax runs from the basement to each TV location you want to use?

Yes I have Cat5e /Coax at both locations

Quote:

You need to get your sources to a common video type (HDMI or component), then look for an appropriate matrix. If your cable box and DVD player have component video outputs, that will be much, much easier and simpler to implement.

Jeff

I have 2 HDMI, one VGA and one composite (non HD) and I don't mind to watch same thing on both TVs becuase we using one at a time.

really appriciate your help.
Thanks,
post #9 of 15 Old 03-17-2012, 07:13 PM

Liked: 12
You'll have a very hard time with this, try to like Jeff said, get one video protocol ie hdmi, component etc. I would use 4 Zeevee boxes converted to rg6 for your sources and then you can choose what you wanna watch on how many tv's you want by tuning them to different channels. Then run ip control system like RTI or something similar. This way you can add tv's or move them or whatever. It's reliable and easy to use. And along the same cost line once you buy 20 different items to make this and that work.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-18-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxbrod View Post

You'll have a very hard time with this, try to like Jeff said, get one video protocol ie hdmi, component etc. I would use 4 Zeevee boxes converted to rg6 for your sources and then you can choose what you wanna watch on how many tv's you want by tuning them to different channels. Then run ip control system like RTI or something similar. This way you can add tv's or move them or whatever. It's reliable and easy to use. And along the same cost line once you buy 20 different items to make this and that work.

If I connect just one TV what is a cheapest option?
post #11 of 15 Old 03-18-2012, 12:54 PM

Using an av receiver that will handle all your source equipment
post #12 of 15 Old 03-18-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxbrod View Post

Using an av receiver that will handle all your source equipment

Any suggestions?
post #13 of 15 Old 03-18-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:

Any suggestions?

You can look at reviews and see which ones have the inputs you need. I can't recommend one for what you need, because I don't recommend doing it that way.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-21-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

I am still struggling to find out what kind of AV receiver should I review, should be AV receivers or the switches,
I was wondering are AV receiver such as Pioneer VSX 821-K AV receiver can serve the purpose or do I need to look different equipment for this?
I am thinking to have AV receiver plug in to HDMI to Cat5e adaptor to connect the TV on other end?
post #15 of 15 Old 03-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I am still struggling to find out what kind of AV receiver should I review, should be AV receivers or the switches,
I was wondering are AV receiver such as Pioneer VSX 821-K AV receiver can serve the purpose or do I need to look different equipment for this?
I am thinking to have AV receiver plug in to HDMI to Cat5e adaptor to connect the TV on other end?

That receiver will work. And I think it can be had new for ~$170 now a days. I don't think it has a VGA input though. Maybe you can upgrade your video card to one with an HDMI out? If you stick with VGA, you still have to worry about the audio part.

Connect a HDMI baluns to each end of your Cat5. Plug it into the receivers HDMI output, and your TV.

If feeling risky, you can add an HDMI splitter to your receiver's HDMI out, and then split the signal to both of your TVs assuming you have HDMI baluns for both.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page