Multi-Zone Audio Configuration HELP NEEDED - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-18-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
we are currently under construction and would like to know how to do multi-zone/room audio.
We have a living room which would consists of the tv room which would be a 5.1 system.
In the great room(22X25) we are debating to go with either 4 inwall speakers or two floorstanding speakers which would be used for guests and parties loud music.
The other rooms would be outside, kitchen and dinning room each with a pair of speakers at more ambient.
How would i be able to play a source through all the rooms at the same time, while being able to control the volume of each room separately or having certain rooms play music while others not.
In terms of the speakers i already have the living room speakers (monitor audio silver line) but havent gotten the ceiling or wall speakers for the other rooms. Recommendations of how to achieve this? would a multi-zone receiver do? or would i need to go with separates?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-18-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Either a multi-channel amplifier, Whole House Audio product, or a speaker selector. If you go the speaker selector route, which can work if you only want one source playing in any of zone (or off), take a look at units with local keypad control options, like the Aton DLA series:

http://www.atonhome.com/DLA6Room.html

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 13 Old 03-18-2012, 08:48 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Either a multi-channel amplifier, Whole House Audio product, or a speaker selector. If you go the speaker selector route, which can work if you only want one source playing in any of zone (or off), take a look at units with local keypad control options, like the Aton DLA series:

http://www.atonhome.com/DLA6Room.html

X2. The Aton units are a very nice option for you.
post #4 of 13 Old 03-18-2012, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

so my setup would include a zone capable receiver and to the second zone, i would connect the aton unit? and to power these would the receiver for suffice or would i need extra amplification? sorry if this sound basics just very confused with this, thank you in advance.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-18-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballgms View Post

so my setup would include a zone capable receiver and to the second zone, i would connect the aton unit? and to power these would the receiver for suffice or would i need extra amplification? sorry if this sound basics just very confused with this, thank you in advance.

Yep. Either a receiver with a powered zone 2 or one with zone per-outs and an inexpensive amp, like the auto sensing AudioSource units...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #6 of 13 Old 03-19-2012, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

so would my system look something like this:
an receiver with 3zone capabilities
in which the first zone would be a living room 5.1 setup
to the second zone i would connect an speaker selector with individual volume control which would be used for the dining, entry and kitchen
to the third zone i would go to an external amplifier in which i would connect 4 speaker which would be the party room.

from this setup would i be able to play a movie/tv in the living room area while playing music in zone 2 and 3 at the same time?
post #7 of 13 Old 03-19-2012, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so would my system look something like this:
an receiver with 3zone capabilities
in which the first zone would be a living room 5.1 setup
to the second zone i would connect an speaker selector with individual volume control which would be used for the dining, entry and kitchen
to the third zone i would go to an external amplifier in which i would connect 4 speaker which would be the party room.

from this setup would i be able to play a movie/tv in the living room area while playing music in zone 2 and 3 at the same time?

You got it. With the limitation that all the rooms connected to either zone 2 or 3 are "tied together" - in that they have to listen to the same source (or nothing). But the way you've divided the zones, doesn't seem like that would be a real issue for you. And good choice to use an external amp for the zone that could likely use the power/headroom.

Jeff

post #8 of 13 Old 03-19-2012, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

thank you jautor for all ur help,
i was wondering in terms of receiver what would be a good receiver i was thinking of the pioneer elite sc55 or denon avr 4311ic. anything else recommended? would these receivers be overkill?
post #9 of 13 Old 03-20-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thank you jautor for all ur help,
i was wondering in terms of receiver what would be a good receiver i was thinking of the pioneer elite sc55 or denon avr 4311ic. anything else recommended? would these receivers be overkill?

No specific recommendations... Just note that 2-channel external amps suitable for 2nd/3rd-zone applications can be really inexpensive (~$100), so don't base your decision on built-in amps alone.

Some receivers allow you to re-purpose a 7.1 setup into a 5.1 plus Zone 2, which can be an efficient implementation, too.

Jeff

post #10 of 13 Old 03-20-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

i think we are going with 4 speakers in the party room so for that 2nd/3rd zone it would be a four-channel amp.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-20-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i think we are going with 4 speakers in the party room so for that 2nd/3rd zone it would be a four-channel amp.

Doesn't have to be. If the speakers are 8-ohm, you can wire them in parallel to most amps (just need to be 4-ohm stable).

post #12 of 13 Old 03-20-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

can you recommend both two channel and a four channel amp? for if i do go with a four channel, would it work if i connected just two inputs into the amp, would it then feed it to the four speakers?
post #13 of 13 Old 03-20-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, you can split the signal easily to power a 4-channel amp. 4-channel amps are a little rare for this application, though. What you'd like is an "audio sensing" amp that will turn itself on/off when needed, or has a 12V trigger input (as long as the receiver you buy has a trigger output!)...

I like the Audiosource (aka Phoenix Gold) AMP-100 unit. I have a similar Audiosource model and it's been great. They're dirt-cheap, too.

Jeff

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page