Integrate intercom and whole-house audio. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-20-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a communications controller available to non-dealers that mimics Elan's whole-house audio with a telephone intercom system?

When I built our house eleven years ago, I wired it with CAT5, co-ax, and speaker wire and for IR controls. I had a dealer install an Elan system, because I couldn't find a system like it available directly to consumers.

My wife and I have been pleased with it. It distributes audio to eight rooms plus the garage and patio. Its PBX capability enables you to pick up a phone in any of eight rooms and, by dialing 7, page over all the speakers throughout the house. Picking up any other phone disables the speakers and enables private conversation between handsets. Dialing 3 connects any handset to entries and exits.

We've found this arrangement much more convenient than the wall-mounted NuTone intercom we had in our previous house. It's on an uninterruptible power supply and has rarely been turned off. It has worked perfectly for eleven years, but it just gave up the ghost.

By the time the dealer charges for his time, it may prove less expensive to simply replace the Elan with something anyone can buy. I have a preamp and enough stereo amps to serve all the speakers, but I want the intercom too. A single unit combining a communications controller that integrates a PBX system with an amp would be ideal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-20-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Have you considered upgrading to new Élan system?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 4 Old 03-21-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the suggestion, Neurorad. Yeah, we've had such a fine experience with the first Elan system that I'm definitely interested. Elan's C2 communications controller sells for $1370, not counting the installation fee, and while I do have three amplifiers, I wanted to keep using them downstream from the Elan amp to control volume and other settings in individual rooms.

I've retired since I paid for the original Elan, so I'm more cautious about spending money. Not only might alternative systems be cheaper, but it would be nice to avoid the installation fee.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-21-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 76
$1370 msrp? Might want to call 1 or 2 installers, as they may give you a discount.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page