Help with suggestions on whole house audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need some advice on how to setup a multi source multi zone setup and what equipment to buy. As the house is built each zone has a volume control knob but no panel for audio source selection. Highest priority would be to create a setup to select source/zone via an iPhone or iPad. Here is the setup (see diagram):

I technically have a 4 zone setup with speakers already in locations:

Great room: 6.1 or 5.1 setup with in ceiling speakers (sorry wife wouldn't allow floor standing speakers for now but may introduce later if I can convince her otherwise)

Dining room (located directly behind great room, see diagram): 1 pair of in ceiling speakers.

Outside patio (not shown on diagram): 1 pair of in wall speakers

Master Bedroom (not shown on diagram): 1 pair of in ceiling speakers

So how do I get this going? I looked at a Yamaha rx-a2010 as it has 3 zone capability so I would make Great room/dining room zone 1 (wire it as a 7.1 or 8.1?), Outside zone 2, master zone 3. No messing with amps, source selectors etc... and use Yamaha AV controller to control everything. The downside, seems like using a behemoth of a receiver for a the job.

OR

Use something like a Nuvo system, individual amps, source selectors? My budget would probably be about $1500 (what it would cost for the Yamaha 2010). I currently have a 5.1 Yamaha Receiver that I could use to run the HT system. Any advice would be much appreciated.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-28-2012, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I suggest you keep the 5.1 separate from the Whole House Audio. Easier to control.

Take a close look at Sonos. It's beyond your budget, but could be installed in stages.

Nuvo would be too expensive for a single purchase, but they have a new system in the works that might be cheaper.

I don't know if HomeTheaterDirect.com has an iOS control option.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 4 Old 03-28-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

I suggest you keep the 5.1 separate from the Whole House Audio. Easier to control.

For what it's worth, I see this suggesten often and personally I disagree. How is it easier? I use my FR+FL+sub for the WHA and it works a treat, of course there might be cases where it's hard to get a good setup going but usually it's probably doable.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-28-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Any thoughts on using the Yamaha rx-a2010 for this application? Too much? I have Polk Audio Rti8, CS3, and Rti4 for the 5.1 setup if the ceiling options does not work.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page