Distribution amp with Remote "App"? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-28-2012, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been hunting for a multi-channel audio only distibution amp to pair with my Sonos Zoneplayer 90 that can handle at least 6 speaker zones.

There are a number of options available (Niles, Channel plus, etc), but none seem to have network capabilities that allow a remote "Itouch" App to control volume and speaker selection (Zone control).

Do any of you know of any upcoming products that will have this function?

I'm not looking for an home theater amp - I'm currently using an older JVC 7010 coupled with a manual speaker selector.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-28-2012, 07:52 AM

Take a look at Russound C-series systems. I believe they have a 6 zone amp that you can add rnet and then control each zone thru an ipad, ipod, or iphone.

Ronnie, CT,DMC-E
Crestron Programmer/Designer
Owner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-28-2012, 08:21 AM

Won't it be a hassle to have to use two different apps to control your music?
post #4 of 13 Old 03-28-2012, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Ronnie - thx for the heads up. I'll look into that system (although 20 watts per channel may not rock the house...)

Stefan, 2 Apps would certainly be preferred to the current back breaking, soul crushing requirement to get up from my chair, walk over to the speaker selector, and push some buttons .
post #5 of 13 Old 03-28-2012, 07:06 PM
DGF

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Have you looked at the current crop of iPad/iPod remote apps - such as iRule, Roomie, DemoPad, etc.?

You can easily couple any of these, via something like a Global Cache converter, to a wide variety of whole-house controllers.

FWIW, I use Roomie on an iTouch, to a Global Cache GC-100 to control my B&K CT600 via IR. Response time is ostensibly instantaneous, and the connection is rock solid.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-28-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

DGF - Thx for the input. I've considered an IR control, so I'll look at this one.
I've walked the DIY road (to the point of soldering a riser to motherboard to get a coax SPDIF out for my old sqeezeplay solution), so I'm leary of going back to a setup that needs any TLC to keep rolling.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-28-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin BC View Post

Stefan, 2 Apps would certainly be preferred to the current back breaking, soul crushing requirement to get up from my chair, walk over to the speaker selector, and push some buttons .

Hehe, true And expanding with actual Sonos Connects for each zone would be quite an investment. Awesome, but costly, compared to using an amp + one more app
post #8 of 13 Old 03-29-2012, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Actually, 5 Sonos Zoneplayer 120s would fit the bill and you only have 1 app.

The price would be equalivant or cheaper than a Crestron, RTI, Speakercraft, Russound and etc 6 zone system, plus the cost of installation and programming. The Sonos would then eliminate any keypads you would need to control these systems as well. The other problem is that the volume on the Sonos app would control the volume throughout the house and would not be independant if you are choosing a DMS or a simple multi-channel amplifier.

I have used multiple Sonos players in a distributed house music system several times and they work great.

I am assuming that you have the required wiring and speakers already in place for a distributed msuic system anyway. If not, then why not add several Sonos Play3s or Play 5s?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-29-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
But if you want to something cheaper, then you can use the Aton DLA6 http://www.atonhome.com/DLA6Room.html powered speaker selector with a Aton DLA6 RF Remote http://www.atonhome.com/DLA6RoomRemote.html for control. You wouldn't have it all one your iPhone but, you can't have everything.

Keep in mind that you would only have 1 source.

post #10 of 13 Old 03-29-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Hey - I'd love to, but I'd have to claim that the 5 Sonos 120's fell off a truck, then burn every bank statement and credit card bill for the net 4 years to sneak them past the wife

I do think I need to demo a Play3 though - It may a fit to fill a gap in my system. I'm using crappy speakers in my workshop that need an upgrade.

I actually do want "everything" - and I'm willing to wait for it. It seems to me that a networked distribution amp should be on someones road map - so I may just endure that walk over to the selector switch a while longer until the market and my wallet find a common meeting point.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-29-2012, 09:57 PM
DGF

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

DGF - Thx for the input. I've considered an IR control, so I'll look at this one.
I've walked the DIY road (to the point of soldering a riser to motherboard to get a coax SPDIF out for my old sqeezeplay solution), so I'm leary of going back to a setup that needs any TLC to keep rolling.

I hear you on the DIY route - I too have been in the weeds, but now definitely prefer a more mainstream (low overhead, low maintenance) approach.

I was able to get a reasonably sophisticated config up and running using Roomie in under 15 minutes - the only "DIY" aspect is the customization of the layout of the remote buttons, and even that is optional. My setup is really solid - absolutely no soldering, machine code, atom-splitting, bondo or caulking involved!

You could invest in cost effective hardware, address all of your current needs, and have the basis for a system that can grow with you.

I have no affiliation with any of the companies I mentioned - but having previously spent large amounts of time and money creating hugely complicated setups, I'm definitely a convert to this new paradigm.

Dave
post #12 of 13 Old 03-30-2012, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Hey - I'd love to, but I'd have to claim that the 5 Sonos 120's fell off a truck, then burn every bank statement and credit card bill for the net 4 years to sneak them past the wife

Clearly you aren't from NY! Because in NY the equipment doesn't fall off the truck, the driver falls out of the truck! I'm just saying'
post #13 of 13 Old 03-30-2012, 02:02 PM

The HTD whole- house audio systems offer remote control from any browser (iOS or Android smartphones) at a reasonable price.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page