Locking down outdoor mounted bose speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-02-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure where to put this question but given that this section has many people who have probably run into this here it goes....

I am going to mount some speakers on my porch. Has anyone thought of clever ways to deter theft from the would be burglar looking in the back porch? The speakers are $400... One thought was a sticker that says "you are on camera" or an actual camera etc... Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-02-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finger123 View Post

Not sure where to put this question but given that this section has many people who have probably run into this here it goes....

I am going to mount some speakers on my porch. Has anyone thought of clever ways to deter theft from the would be burglar looking in the back porch? The speakers are $400... One thought was a sticker that says "you are on camera" or an actual camera etc... Any other ideas?

You mean the Bose sticker on the speakers are not a big enough deterrent?
post #3 of 14 Old 04-02-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Ouch.

Might consider a camera, although the camera might be stolen too. And, a DVR would be useful.

Dummy cam might be cheap.

Security screws might deter the novice local kid, the real pros wouldn't bother with the time required for any screws.

Depends on the neighborhood.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 14 Old 04-02-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Chain large, mean dog to porch. Still won't stop someone who really wants to steal them. That is what you buy insurance for.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-02-2012, 06:12 PM

Liked: 32
Get the same cable & theft deterrent system that is used to keep laptops, monitors, desktop computers and printers from walking. The glue on the piece that the cable attaches to, is not something that can just come off. The piece becomes permanent.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 374
The cable system is probably the best advice so far... But I wouldn't worry too much about them. The "market" for used outdoor speakers isn't exactly as liquid as regular A/V gear, and very unlikely someone would be able to tell that they're $400 speakers and not $40 speakers.

And honestly, if someone wants them, and has come so far into your property to get their hands on them - you don't want cables, glue, security screws etc. - you want it to come clean off the house without causing expensive damage.

Example: Someone stole the logo from my car (on the trunk, not the hood, but same difference). Turns out those are easily pulled off with just a bit of effort. Because it's easy to replace the $10 part - instead of a $500 dent/scratch/paint job if it was held on tightly such that it takes a prybar to steal it...

Jeff

PS - Glad I didn't have to make the Bose joke! Objoke - "I left my banjo in the back seat of my car. Someone broke in, and left a second banjo..."

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #7 of 14 Old 04-02-2012, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayW View Post

You mean the Bose sticker on the speakers are not a big enough deterrent?

Well said!

To the OP: If you're really that proud of the speakers, install them upside down. There aren't too many people who would see the value in a set of 3508 speakers.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-03-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Cable lock. And/or an NRA sticker
post #9 of 14 Old 04-03-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

They could be wired to a house alarm, too.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #10 of 14 Old 04-03-2012, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Ok, I'm not using this approach but, I just thought I'd post this as food for DIY thought:
http://www.connevans.co.uk/store/vie....do?id=2663675

Yeah, at best, this sort of cage approach certainly lacks aesthetic appeal but, for some situations/placements a good DIYer might come up with a better and workable take on the idea that would provide better protection than a cable. (As my shed's previous padlock would attest: the bad guys know all about bolt cutters.) - Obviously, such a cage approach wouldn't be totally theft-proof either but, by increasing the difficulty, time requirements and noise needed, it could act as a significant deterrent.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-05-2012, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

To address some of the Bose jokes, does anyone have suggestions for better outdoor speakers (I have not bought them yet). I have been very happy other Bose products?
post #12 of 14 Old 04-07-2012, 06:11 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by finger123 View Post

To address some of the Bose jokes, does anyone have suggestions for better outdoor speakers (I have not bought them yet). I have been very happy other Bose products?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1403363
"There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the 'No Bose Zone'. "
post #13 of 14 Old 04-07-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Bose, IMO, aren't bad, they're just overpriced for what they deliver.

They spend a lot on marketing.

post #14 of 14 Old 04-08-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Several years ago, I had used a couple of pinned hex screws to attach my speaker to the mount and and 8 or 12 security metal screws to attach the mount to my fence post. One day I came home from work and found the mount bent out of shape. Someone couldn't get the speaker off, nor could they do anything with the screws holding it to the post.

Gave me a good laugh.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page