Please recommend replacement/upgrade for dying modulator - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-04-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For almost 10 years, we've been using a ChannelPlus 9645 modulator to distribute the video sources from our living room to the rest of our house. A few months ago, the modulator started adding a "hum" (of varying volume and sound pattern) to all its outputs. A few weeks ago the issue escalated with addition of a scrolling picture distortion. Last night, a potential 3rd symptom showed up; a secondary TV lost all video and audio for 1/2 a second to 5 seconds a couple dozen times over a 2 hour period. (This one hasn't yet been isolated to the modulator, but it seems the likely culprit given the other issues).

Based on this behavior, I think our 5645 is dying, and I haven't been able to find a replacement for sale anywhere.

Can anyone recommend a replacement or upgrade for it? All our TV's will remain SD for the forseeable future, but as our DTivo is also approaching ten years, I would prefer a device that accepts SVideo and HDMI inputs. A 4 "channel" device would be best, but we could get by with 2.

I forgot to verify, but I believe our IR is handled by a separate device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-04-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 360
You're not going to get an HDMI input on a modulator, nor any sort of HD support, in any price range that wouldn't send you to the floor...

Best chance is to either pick up a replacement on eBay, or look at similar models (ChannelVision, etc.) - especially if you're using another solution for IR.

I don't recognize that model (9645), but the 5445 is probably the direct replacement. There's also the SVM-24, which adds stereo (MTS) and S-video input...

The other choice, since you're on DirecTV, is to upgrade to the single-wire (SWM) DirecTV setup and add receivers for each TV. This may make sense depending on how many sets you have.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 04-05-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My bad. It was a 5645, which as I recall, is just a 5445 with a SVideo input option.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-05-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade_X View Post

My bad. It was a 5645, which as I recall, is just a 5445 with a SVideo input option.

I believe the SVM-24 is the replacement for the 5645.

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page