Basic question about Home Audio Distribution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-09-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It seems to me that this question is so basic, that it must have been answered before, but I have been looking around the various threads and cannot seem to find where it has been asked in this basic form. Sorry if I am asking an often repeated question

We have SOME rooms in the house set up with a Russound ABus system which is fed by a computer connected wirelessly to the home network.

We have other rooms in the house fed by a home theater system including a computer directly connected to the network.

Goal:
I would like to use the computers to feed audio to both receivers so that we can listen to the same audio programming simultaneously.

Question:
Is there a basic (inexpensive) way to get audio distributed across a home network (wired and wireless preferably) Audiophile quality is not necessarybut listenable at least?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-09-2012, 08:48 PM

Liked: 10
Could use some bluetooth adapter
post #3 of 8 Old 04-10-2012, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
post #4 of 8 Old 04-10-2012, 06:58 AM

Liked: 10
Or Airplay (or Airfoil).
post #5 of 8 Old 04-10-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I have looked at Sonos, but my impression from discussions at a stereo store a few years ago is that it is quite expensive.

I started poking around the web using the other names that have been suggested so far and ended up thinking that Tversity might be what I need.

I installed it on the machine I use regularly and was able to access it from the Blu-ray Disk player in the home theater.

I then went to a laptop (running XP) that is connected wirelessly to the home network, hoping to be able to look in "My Network Places", see Tversity running on my main computer and immediately be able to listen to what the Tversity server was sending to the Blu-ray in the H.T.

Unfortunately I have not been able to discover the Tversity server with that networked computer. It is an older laptop.

Tversity was visible on the network when looking from the Blu-Ray player, but not from the wirelessly connected computer.

Am I on the right track, or am I looking to do something that Tversity can't do for me?
post #6 of 8 Old 04-10-2012, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Update:
I have messed with Tversity a bit more and gotten it to be discovered by the wirelessly connected computer and I can play music on that computer from this computer. BUT- I could do that before just by sharing files over the home network.

What I am trying to achieve is to have THE SAME music playing in two parts of the house at the same time so. I want it to be set up so as you walk from one part of the house with music playing which is driven by one computer, you can go into a part of the house where the sound system is driven by the HT setup and hear the same music.

Can Tversity do this?

Thanks! I hope I am not being too thick!
post #7 of 8 Old 04-11-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

After reading what I could find on AVSForums and talking with a brother of mine who recently purchased an AudioEngine AW1, I have gone ahead and ordered one of those.

It seems that the AW1 is actually a product that has been retired, but the replacement product (the AudioEngine AW3 or W3) is not yet available and will cost 50% more.

It sounds as though the AW1 will allow me to play audio in the home theater and simultaneously stream that audio to another amplifier in another part of the house.

Since the AW1 is discontinued there were not a lot of sources for them on the internet and the prices were from $89 to $149.

I will report the results when I receive the unit and give it a try.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-04-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE:

It has been a long time since I purchased the Audio Engine AW1, but I was having trouble with the Sony AV receiver I had purchased for the home theater and ended up waiting a LONG time for the replacement receiver to arrive. (original receiver was sent in for warranty repairs - took a long time - returned not fixed - shop went out of their way to make it right, but it took months. Now using a new receiver of a different brand.)

So, now I have the opportunity to try the Audio Engine AW1 with a receiver that actually has output! I connected the transmitting unit in the equipment room off the home theater and the receiving unit upstairs in the living room. Our house has standard weight concrete floors so getting the signal through was a bit of a challenge, but I found a hole where some wiring was going up through the slab and I pushed the transmitting unit up through that opening a bit.

It works well! I can turn on music in the H.T. and then wander throughout the house and it continues seamlessly from one area to another. It does what I wanted it to do!

I am not an audiophile, but the sound bears up to careful listening on my part.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page