Outdoor speaker volume too low - need help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-09-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought an inexpensive outdoor rock speaker to put on my deck. I wired it into my Pioneer receiver's B speaker input. It works fine I get audio and can turn the volume up from my iPhone app. The problem I have is that if I run both the indoor (A speakers) and outdoor (B speaker) at the same time I have to raise the volume too high which causes the indoor speakers to be too loud. I need to be able to boost the outdoor speaker volume while keeping the indoor speakers volume reasonable. To be honest I haven't checked the receiver's settings yet, in fact just thought to see if there is a speaker level that might help. If that doesn't work, would I need an amplifier between my receiver and the outdoor speaker?
Would something like this work?
http://amzn.to/Inrad2

I'm not concerned with audio quality. Just a simple solution to get some sound out on the deck for either listening to a baseball game or some background music without blowing out the indoor speakers in the process.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-09-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Yes, if your receiver has a pre-amp output (or perhaps a tape record loop), adding an external / separate amp is the answer... The speaker A/B connections are essentially hooking both pairs to the same amp - hence they'll get the same volume.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 4 Old 04-10-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apparently Pioneer put out a firmware update for my receiver. It now has airplay which is cool. The manual also says I can setup a zone 2 which is something I will try before investigating the amp purchase any further. Thanks for the help.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-10-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1DIMMER View Post

Apparently Pioneer put out a firmware update for my receiver. It now has airplay which is cool. The manual also says I can setup a zone 2 which is something I will try before investigating the amp purchase any further. Thanks for the help.

If your receiver has a zone 2 output, you should definitely just go the amp method, but note that most receivers will only route analog audio signals to zone 2. Check the manual regarding internal sources (internet streaming) and zone 2 before doing anything...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page