Help with 5 zone audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Here is a breakdown of the current status of the house and my goals for the A/V system. All equipment and speakers have not been purchased so I'm looking for suggestions on how to go about this installation as well as equipment suggestions to meet my goals. I've had B&W speakers in other homes and never had any issues with them and enjoyed their performance. My friend and I plan on installing and setting up the equipment so ease of installation, setup and very simple final use are of utmost importance. My budget is around $15k for speakers, A/V equipment (not including TV's) and anything else I need to get this up and running.

There is a dedicated A/V closet on the main floor adjacent to the Living Room (but it doesn't face the Living Room).

There is a network panel in the garage that has CAT5 run to all of the rooms in the house including the A/V closet.

There is a Mac computer in the Kitchen that will be the main source of music since it has the 20k+ song (MP3) collection on it's hard drive. I would like to have an iPod dock in the A/V closet as a secondary source of music.

There will be a CableTV DVR box with HDMI in the A/V closet that will provide the A/V to the 5.1 system and an LCD in the Living Room. There will also be a CableTV DVR box with HDMI in the Master Bedroom for the A/V to the LCD and the pair of wall mounted speakers in that room. There are no other video displays in the house.

There are two security cameras (no audio) with CAT5 run to the network closet. What device will allow me to view live/recorded video from these cameras on my Mac, two LCD TV's and iPhone/Android?

Here is a breakdown of the zones (All speaker locations have had 16/4 wire run from the A/V cabinet except for the pair in the Master Bedroom):

Zone 1 (Living Room): 5.1 system consisting of 4 ceiling speakers, a wall mounted center above or below on-wall LCD and a freestanding subwoofer. I have a Denon receiver that can handle the audio in this room but would like to be able to listen to the music from the networked Mac as well as audio from the CableTV DVR box in the A/V closet. A dedicated remote for this room would be fine but it would need to be able to control the receiver, the music from the Mac/iPod dock, the LCD on the wall and the CableTV DVR box.

Zone 2 (Kitchen/Bathroom/Great Room): Bathroom has 1 ceiling speaker, Kitchen and Great Room have 2 ceiling speakers each. Total speakers in this zone is 5. Source of music for this zone are the songs stored on the Mac in the kitchen as well as an iPod dock in the A/V closet.

Zone 3 (Outdoor Patio): 2 wall mounted speakers facing the ocean so salt corrosion is of high concern. Ocean side speaker suggestions? Source are again the Mac and the iPod dock.

Zone 4 (Master Bathroom): 2 ceiling mounted speakers. Dedicated remote for this and the Master Bedroom? No on-wall options for control are available unless its a completely wireless solution. Source of music: iPod dock and Mac

Zone 5 (Master Bedroom): 2 wall mounted speakers on either side of the wall mounted LCD. These speakers need to be able to play the songs from the Mac that's in the kitchen as well as the audio from the CableTV DVR box which is on a piece of furniture below the TV. These speakers have not been wired to the A/V closet but there is a CAT5 cable run from the LCD location to the network panel. Is there a 2 channel amp that can be connected to the Mac on the network with on screen music selection as well as audio input from the DVR?

Goals with questions: I would like to be able to independently control each device from a couple of handheld control units (RF remotes or Android device or iPod/iPhone). Is there a handheld device that can display the song library on the Mac as well as offer volume control/speaker selection for each zone independently? I've looked at the ATON speaker selectors but am unsure about this full capability.

Here are my ultimate goals... My son can watch TV in the Living Room and if he wants to can listen to and access my MP3 collection on my Mac.

While he's doing that, my wife has the TV on in the Master Bedroom with the audio coming out of the pair of speakers on either side of the TV. She has the TV on even though she's showering in the Master Bathroom while listening to music stored on my Mac or the iPod that's cradled in the A/V closet.

My daughter is in the kitchen and would like to listen to some music from her Pandora account (Mac as the source?).

While they're all in the house, I'm outside on the front patio enjoying a mimosa listening to the waves crash against the coastline and music stored on my Mac on the pair of outdoor speakers. If I hear something suspicious out back I can select from my Android device or iPhone the security camera to see what the noise is coming from. I can also yell into my son to put Camera 1 up on the TV in the Living Room.

Can this be done and how!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-10-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So I've done some research and have found the Sonos system that will most likely offer the solution I'm after. Except for the security camera integration...

Here is a rundown of what I expect to work well for me:

Sonos Dock for the iPod integration.

Sonos Connect feeding the Denon receiver for the Living Room.

Sonos Connect feeding a 2 channel amplifier to power the pair of outdoor speakers.

Sonos Connect feeding a 5 channel amplifier to power the 5 speakers in Zone 2.

Sonos Connect Amp to power the Master Bedroom speakers and audio input from the CableTV DVR. (This unit will be within the Master Bedroom)

Sonos Connect Amp to power the pair of speakers in the Master Bathroom.

A Sonos control to leave in the house for guests to use.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-10-2012, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I think you need to be looking into basic automation rather than just Sonos. Check out Control4.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page