Moving Existing WHA to New Location - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-12-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks. I currently have a whole house audio system using a Russound controller, SMS Audio Server, and intercom system. The system is located in a closet in what has now become my wife's craft room and small business office. She would like for me to move the system to the home theater. The theater isn't far away but obviously requires additional cat5 and speaker wiring. My initial thought was to connect the existing cat5 to a keystone jack and then run terminated cat5 to the home theater. This would require me to purchase terminated cat5 cable long enough to reach the home theater. I could also go the following route: cat5 - keystone jack - short terminated cat5 - keystone jack - cat5 to home theater. However, before I purchase anything I thought I would check to see if anyone had any better idea. The audio cables could be spliced to new wires going to the home heater using mire nuts - any issue with this? I should mention all wires/cables are in the attic.

Thanks,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-12-2012, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I'm a fan of the Wago Lever Nuts for splicing speakers wires.

Limit the number of category cable connections, use grommets or scoop pass-throughs if possible. Don't bury splices behind drywall.

Hide the splices in the closet with a low voltage flush mount enclosure.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 5 Old 04-13-2012, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

I'm a fan of the Wago Lever Nuts for splicing speakers wires.

Limit the number of category cable connections, use grommets or scoop pass-throughs if possible. Don't bury splices behind drywall.

Hide the splices in the closet with a low voltage flush mount enclosure.

Thanks, Neurorad. I agree that the number of connections should be minimized. Leads me to the first method of purchasing terminated cat5 cable.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-13-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI, Wago Lever Nut connector

idiot proof, and, IMO, more secure

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 5 Old 04-13-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I protect my attic splices with a plastic single gang junction box, with a blank cover.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page