Wii and Xbox to 2 TV's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-12-2012, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read similar posts but they're older, and not quite what I'm asking. I'm wanting to locate my Wii and Xbox (which I use for gaming and as a Media Center Extender) in a media closet. Then, I want to send the signal to 2 different TV's in different rooms.

Not for 2 player or anything like that, just so whatever room I'm in I can play. I'd also rather not mess with a switch, I'd rather it be 'on' to both TV's all the time. I'd just use the TV to flip between inputs. So same signal, just split to go to both TV's.

Of course Xbox would be HDMI, and Wii would be component. I'm assuming I can't just use a cable splitter without losing signal quality (correct me if I'm wrong). I also know there's a bunch of cheap splitters that don't work. Can anyone point me to a solution for each, or one that would do HDMI and component in the same box? Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 AM

Liked: 12
I think you can use this
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

for the hdmi. And this

for the wii.

post #3 of 11 Old 04-13-2012, 11:15 AM

This is something that interests me as well. Partially because I would like to be able to do the same thing. Plus it would allow me to hid the consoles which would thrill the wife.

But I am confused on how you would be able to still utilize the consoles as gaming machines. In that how would you send the signal from the Wii console to the nunchucks or from the 360 to the Xbox controller and then back again for actual gaming use? An IR repeater of some kind?

Additionally how would the audio be split so that it could be utilized in either room as well? Any clarification would be appreciated.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
The Xbox 360 controller is compatible with the monoprice USB over Cat5/6 extender. I'm not sure about the Wii though.

Edit - the above extender is USB 1.1 only though so its no good for the Kinnect.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-13-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the links!

For the audio, it says that HDMI splitter will carry audio. I guess I would have to split the sound on the Wii also.

In regards to the question about the controllers, I believe they are both bluetooth. Either way, I can use controllers for either anywhere in the house and it picks them up. I'm building a new house and putting the media closet in the basement. I actually thought about putting a vent above it, just in case!
post #6 of 11 Old 04-13-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasBuck View Post

Thanks for the links!

For the audio, it says that HDMI splitter will carry audio. I guess I would have to split the sound on the Wii also.

In regards to the question about the controllers, I believe they are both bluetooth. Either way, I can use controllers for either anywhere in the house and it picks them up. I'm building a new house and putting the media closet in the basement. I actually thought about putting a vent above it, just in case!

That's cool, I didn't know the bluetooth controllers had that much range. Hmmmmm, starting to get some ideas to mount a small computer screen in the bathroom. Stop looking at me like that, guys,....it's either that or I have to put a toilet in my living room. (I'm an addict and acknowledge that I have a problem).

As for the audio, if you have a receiver in the media closet and speakers in the rooms you could do the audio that way. Or else yeah, you'd have to split the audio. Monoprice has you covered on that too...for less than 6 bucks:

post #7 of 11 Old 04-13-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the links!

BRILLIANT! I forgot that the controllers were bluetooth, that makes things much easier. I think I was over thinking it, thank!
post #8 of 11 Old 04-13-2012, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
wiitohdmi.com has an HDMI adapter for the Wii if that changes your design any.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-15-2012, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I wonder if that converter actually improves the picture that much?
post #10 of 11 Old 04-15-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:

Wow, I wonder if that converter actually improves the picture that much?

No. Changing format isn't going to improve the picture unless your TV's upscaler isn't very good. Anyway, they're comparing composite (not component) to their HDMI output.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM

If you don't want or need matrix switching then going with hdmi for the wii only saves you from having to split both audio and video. In that case you need 2 of the hdmi splitters. I think it'd be better to use a matrix switch so you would have the option of having 1 thing mirrored on both screens or be able to put different things on each, especially if you have cable box, dvr, htpc or all the sources in the same media closet.

It'd be cheaper to go with component and fiber optic for the wii. Either way works, it just depends on your preference.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page