Lepai amplifier question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-16-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have a question about the Lepai class T amplifiers that partsexpress sells (link below) and distributed home audio.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=310-300

I have 6 rooms in my house that have built in speakers and am looking for a good, low powered amp for them. I bought one of these lepai amps for a different reason and hooked it up to a few of the rooms and the power is more than adequate for the size of the rooms that have speakers in them, and I was happy with the quality of the sound as well (all monoprice speakers, so I'm certainly no audiophile ).

Anyway, my question is this:

I'm in the process of buying and putting in a full sonos system for all 6 rooms (zoneplayer 90s) and have yet to buy an amp. Can I just buy 6 of these Lepai amps and run the zoneplayers through them? It would entail me leaving all the lepai amps in the ON position all the time, as all the speaker wire runs into the basement. Are there any disadvantages to doing this (the power is minimal, about 2 watts at idle)?

The only bad think I can think is that the Lepai units would always be on and sending a signal to the speakers, 24/7, even if there's no sound coming from the sonos. Is this bad for the speakers? Will it lead to wearing them out over time?

If I just test the Lepai in a room with an mp3 player turned off with the Lepai unit still on I don't hear anything unless I get up very close to the speakers, then I can hear white noise faintly.

Should I look into something like this, that has "Audio Sense" and will turn off when not in use, though will use a lot more power when in use? http://www.ebay.com/itm/290699232870

Which is the better way to go here?

Thanks a lot for any advice
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-16-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 350
That's a tough call... You could also throw the Sonos Connect:Amp versions into the mix, too. I was going to suggest an HTD multichannel amp with audio-sense support, but at $22/each, it's kinda hard to argue against the Lepai 'array'... You're not going to wear out the speakers - and as long as you've tested the units to make sure they're "quiet" when the Sonos isn't producing audio, I think you'll be fine. And worst case, you don't have much invested in the amp solution.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 4 Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any thoughts about the Niles SI-1230?
post #4 of 4 Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

The only bad think I can think is that the Lepai units would always be on and sending a signal to the speakers, 24/7, even if there's no sound coming from the sonos.

If they're sending a signal to the speakers, you'd hear it.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page