Nuvo Concerto Installation Question (EZ Port Related) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a complete Nuvo Concerto system (not the Grand Concerto) second hand from someone upgrading their system. Picked up the unit, tuner, 8 control pads, all the IR connections. Even got the IR Learning accessory. The only thing that was missing was the EZport.

I have an electronics background and am fully capable of installing this system, however, finding an answer to the compatibility of other EZ ports with the Concerto is proving to be difficult to find out.

As it turns out I'm having trouble finding one (the EZ port). Authorized sellers won't talk to me, and can't seem to find the particular model that was to have originally come with this unit.

I was wondering if anyone knows if an Essentia EZ port would work on a Concerto system.

I have been able to find the NV-E6DEZP for sale through an unauthorized vendor, however, I haven't been able to find the NV-I8EZP port that's specified in the manual. Although I'd prefer having the one specified in the manual, I was wondering if anyone would know if the other EZ ports for the other models would be compatible for combining the CAT-5 connections from all my pads into my Concerto box.

Anyways, if anyone happens to have some experience or knowledge they could share on this topic, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-17-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 341
The Essentia uses a different connection than the Concerto/GC. The Essentia has a 25-pin (I think) "Allport" connector, the GC's is just an RJ45 "NuVoNet" connection. The EZPort for the Grand Concerto *MAY* be compatible with the Concerto. It looks like the differences are some additional ground pins, and potentially some re-working of the IR signals - but the "important" pins are all in the same places between the two.

Smarthome has the Grand Concerto EZport:

http://www.smarthome.com/8270GEZP/Nu...-I8GEZP/p.aspx

I'd email NuVo Tech Support (they've always responded well for me) and ask if the GC's EZport can be used with the Concerto.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 10 Old 04-17-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply... I've sent off an e-mail to them to see if the Grand Concerto pad is compatible with the Concerto. Would be nice if it was, as I was just on chat help with smarthome (thanks for the link by the way), and they confirmed that I could have it shipped to myself in Canada through a third party US address.

I'll definitely post any results that I find out from communications with Nuvo. Hopefully I'll get some sort of response from them.
post #4 of 10 Old 04-17-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Here's what I heard back from Nuvo Customer Support! The news is good.

Sir or Madam,

Yes, the NVI8DEZP Concerto EZ Port is interchangeable with the new NVI8GEZP Grand Concerto EZ Port.

Regards,

Technical Support Representative
NuVo Technologies
3015 Kustom Drive
Hebron, KY 41048
(p) 859.817.7200 | (f) 859.817.7250
post #5 of 10 Old 04-17-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Sweet! And that's another good bit of info for our forum "database"...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #6 of 10 Old 04-17-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Further to my investigation on the EZ Port, I also found out that you cannot use any of the more recent control pads on the original Concerto.

There also never were any single gang control pads available for the original Concerto. The only control pad that can be used is the double gang control pad.

Just thought I'd throw that in. Although it's not directly related to the EZ Port, I figured someone may be able to find this information through a search in the future...

P.S. Thanks again Jeff for the link to Smarthome and putting me on to the Grand Concerto's EZ Port.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-17-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Correct. There was an upgrade program to get a Concerto to a Grand Concerto. I know it involved a board swap, not sure if there were any other changes. The GC with recent firmware installed can use either the single gang or double-gang OLED keypads, as well as the color touchscreen...

Jeff

post #8 of 10 Old 04-17-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

That's very interesting!

Nuvo support is going to get tired of hearing from me... I'll have to inquire to see if this path is still available or not.

Thanks for the info!
post #9 of 10 Old 04-17-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COREi7 View Post

That's very interesting!

Nuvo support is going to get tired of hearing from me... I'll have to inquire to see if this path is still available or not.

Thanks for the info!

It was not a cheap upgrade - I don't know if it included the keypads or just the system unit, but regardless, probably better off picking up a used GC in the future if you want to do the upgrade. The OLED keypads show up on eBay all the time for ~$120-150.

Jeff

post #10 of 10 Old 04-18-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the comment.

I think for now, I'll move forward with installing and configuring the system as is. Now that I have the EZ-PORT enroute that NUVO said will work with my concerto system, I can start messing around with it. Eventually, I suppose I could always buy a whole GC system and unload this one on e-bay if I decided to go that route. For now, I'll have fun setting this one up and enjoy what it can do for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

It was not a cheap upgrade - I don't know if it included the keypads or just the system unit, but regardless, probably better off picking up a used GC in the future if you want to do the upgrade. The OLED keypads show up on eBay all the time for ~$120-150.

Jeff

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page