HT & Multi-Room A/V Equipment - need some help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-19-2012, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I'm in need of some assistance and advice. My brother is helping out a neighbor who recently bought some furnishings out of a rather large house. As part of this acquisition, this neighbor ended up with some Home Theater and Multi-Room Audio equipment that he does not intend to use. My brother is helping this neighbor dispose of his excess furniture and equipment. As luck would have it, we have an opportunity at first pick of the equipment.

I'm hoping I can get some insights on some of the equipment and maybe some recommendations. Here is a quick list of most of the equipment.

2 AudioControl Architect 100 Amps (2 Channels - 80 watts @ 8 ohms)
3 AudioControl Architect 560 Amps (12 Channels - 60 watts @ 8 Ohms)
2 Crestron STX-1700C Wireless Touchpanels (2-way RF LCD Touchscreen)
3 Crestron PAD8A Audio Distribution Processors (distribution of 8 stereo audio sources to 8 room outputs)
1 Crestron Pro2 Professional Dual Bus Control System (brain of a complete integrated AV or automation solution)
1 NAD C422 Stereo AM/FM Tuner (It's a radio)
1 NAD T572 DVD/CD Changer (5 Disk DVD Changer)
1 NAD T517 DVD Player
1 NAD T773 A/V Receiver (7x110W)
1 Vidikron Vision Model 80 Video Projector (1080P 3 Chip D-ILA (HDCP Compatible))
1 Vidikron VDP-80 Digital Video Controller/Processor (Pre process video delivered to projector)

I'm actually in the middle of building my own HT and would generally have jumped on many of the items but I was also able to recently find someone who was selling the equipment out of his home and I picked up most of pieces already. My equipment is a bit similar in that it is reasonably high end but a bit out dated.

Here are my questions

The Audiocontrol amps appear to be built for multi-room audio. Would these be appropriate for use in offloading some of the speakers off of a receiver in a home theater? I'm not sure how multi-room amps differ from home theater amps.

The Creston touch panel and control system appear to need software to setup and it doesn't seem that the manufacturer provides the software to end-users. I ended up with a couple of URC 3000 remotes in my acquisition that are pretty much useless for the same reason. I think the control system is probably beyond my technical capabilities anyway but not having software makes it unappealing to me and probably others as well.

I'm not really sure how the Creston Audio Distribution Processors work. Either the house didn't have controls in the rooms or the neighbor didn't get them. I guess you can control the sounds going to each room from the main equipment location. I'm not sure why you need these either. The amps appear to be able to send the audio to the speakers in the different rooms. Are these distribution processors needed to allow you to have different audio sources go to each room?

I'm also interested in some opinions.

I'm using a Yamaha RX-V1 Receiver in my home theater. Can anyone provide some input as to how this receiver compares to the NAD T773. They seem comparable. My main issue with the Yamaha is a lack of hdmi ports but the NAD has the same problem.

I'm using a JVC RS1 Projector. From what I've been able to tell, the Vidikron is basically a repackaged JVC and appears to be a similar model to the RS1 but an earlier version. The Vidikron cost much more, seems to have higher end lens (not sure just looks like it) and has the video controller/processor. Any comments comparing the two would be helpful. I could probably try out the equipment but wanted to do some research first.

I'm not sure how they will end up disposing of the equipment my brother and I are not interested in. I'm pretty sure they only want to do a local deal, which probably means inland empire craigslist or seeing if a dealer may be interested.

My apologies for such a long post. Any feedback would be appreciated. This is my first new thread (which makes the length worse). If my etiquette is off let me know and I apologize in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-19-2012, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jripley View Post

Here are my questions

The Audiocontrol amps appear to be built for multi-room audio. Would these be appropriate for use in offloading some of the speakers off of a receiver in a home theater? I'm not sure how multi-room amps differ from home theater amps.

The amount of power for theater amps is much more powerful. 80 watts can be very limiting for theater unless you have very efficient speakers.

Quote:

The Creston touch panel and control system appear to need software to setup and it doesn't seem that the manufacturer provides the software to end-users. I ended up with a couple of URC 3000 remotes in my acquisition that are pretty much useless for the same reason. I think the control system is probably beyond my technical capabilities anyway but not having software makes it unappealing to me and probably others as well.

Crestron needs to be programmed by a certified Crestron programmer for your needs. If you don't have the program with the old system, a new one must be done for the equipment. This can be expensive. The Crestron STX-1700C and the PRO2 work together. The PRO2 is the brains of the system.

Quote:

I'm not really sure how the Creston Audio Distribution Processors work. Either the house didn't have controls in the rooms or the neighbor didn't get them. I guess you can control the sounds going to each room from the main equipment location. I'm not sure why you need these either. The amps appear to be able to send the audio to the speakers in the different rooms. Are these distribution processors needed to allow you to have different audio sources go to each room?

The Crestron PAD8s are multi zone audio processors designed to be mated to the Crestron control processors. It looks like they fead the Audio control amps for whole house audio. The Crestron touchpanels would have controlled the whole house audio system as well as possibly controlling the thermostats, lighting, alarm system and many other things.

Quote:

I'm also interested in some opinions.

I'm using a Yamaha RX-V1 Receiver in my home theater. Can anyone provide some input as to how this receiver compares to the NAD T773. They seem comparable. My main issue with the Yamaha is a lack of hdmi ports but the NAD has the same problem.

Both receivers have their weak and strong points, but they are about the same now since they are both outdated.

Quote:

I'm using a JVC RS1 Projector. From what I've been able to tell, the Vidikron is basically a repackaged JVC and appears to be a similar model to the RS1 but an earlier version. The Vidikron cost much more, seems to have higher end lens (not sure just looks like it) and has the video controller/processor. Any comments comparing the two would be helpful. I could probably try out the equipment but wanted to do some research first.

The JVC will outperform the Vidikron in almost every way... Actually, get the Vidikron and send me the JVC RS1 and I will pay for the shipping.

The only pieces that are still useful are the amps (if you can find a use for them) and the Crestron PRO2. Everything else is outdated.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-19-2012, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply ifor. My main interest is probably the amps at this point. If the main issue is power I may go ahead and take one of the 560's as I don't have much in the way of dedicated amps. I would have liked the touch panels but already have a couple I can't program without the software. Same problem with the Crestron Pro2. I may want to distribute to some other rooms someday but don't really know how these boxes work or if they need the Pro2 to work.

I'm a little surprised that the JVC is that much better. It appears to be the next model in the lineage but the msrp when new is so much lower $29k vs $5k-$8k. I'm planning on keeping the JVC (I just put a hole in my ceiling and mounted it) and it looks quite nice up there. I'm pretty sure my brother and his neighbor don't want to deal with shipping but you appear to be in La Quinta which isn't too far had you wanted something. I've been out there a few times recently related to groundbreakings and ribbon cuttings for the new interchanges being built on I-10.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-19-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

lol, I was just kidding about sending me the rs1.

The 560 amps are really meant for distributed music throughout the house, as it will power 6 pairs of speakers. You are correct that the Crestron needs a control processor for everything to work.

I will take the Pro2 and Pad8s if your brother's neighbor doesn't want them.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-20-2012, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info ifor... yeah, I knew you were kidding.

I was able to find the manual for the 560 amp and it appears the channels can be bridged. The manual states that the normal power is 60 watts @ 8 ohms and 210 watts @ 8 ohms when bridged. I'm thinking I can off load some of the work from my Yamaha R1. Thinking of running a couple sets of rear speakers through the amp and let the Yamaha push the front speakers.

When these guys figure out what there going to do I'll send you a PM.

I am curious about your desire for the Pro2 and Pad8s. It doesn't appear to me that these can be used without the software. Do you have access to this or would you have a dealer set it up. The reason I'm asking is because I would like to get the software for the touch screens. Both the Creston and URC. I don't really have a need to distribute audio and the Pro2 seems beyond me but I'd love to get the remotes working.

I think there's a Creston dealer in the Ontario area. If so, I may stop by and see what they have to say.

Thanks again...
post #6 of 8 Old 04-21-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I was interested in the Crestron because I am a Crestron programmer. I wanted to use it at my home as I don't have one here yet.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-02-2012, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

interesting ifor... I've not gotten back with my brother but I expect to talk with him some by this weekend and will see what's up. Any chance you work with URC remotes?
post #8 of 8 Old 05-03-2012, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I do. I am a dealer as well.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page