Who would still buy a NUVO Music Port? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 04-20-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Nuvo Essentia EG6 which I am very happy with. I want to integrate my music libraries from my PC. The current music porthardware is fancy and nice but is VERY expensive. I found a older technology, the NV-MP music port, that might do 'just' what I am looking for and not a bit more! IS THIS WORTH BUYING at a decent price?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 04-21-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
It's still a good deal. They have not upgraded it in quite a while, but Pandora and the InternetRadio functions work well. Just don't expect new services to be added...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 32 Old 04-22-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Jautor, are you still using the original Music Port?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 32 Old 04-22-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep... Autonomic is still supposed to release another update "sometime". Would love to add Spotify (doubt it) but would really appreciate some bug fixes and Apple Lossless support. I have my server reboot itself every other night, which took care of the process crash issue I've had forever...

I'd consider upgrading to the MPS4, but really hoping NuVo will do a new amp-less server based on the new 3-zone wireless system. That would be a no brainer.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #5 of 32 Old 06-15-2012, 07:24 PM

Jautor et al.

I am still using original music port as well. I am running the newest autonomic MCS version but still have strange bugs. Pandora works well for the most part. I have most of my issues with internet radio. It is a crap shoot which stations will play (most seem to not). I have my system reboot EVERY night otherwise radiotime REALLY gets flaky. The most strange bug that I have experienced is starting radiotime on one of the music port sources (I have 3) and have the audio actually being played on one of the other music port sources. NO IDEA how this happens! Also get the occasion connecting to source message.

I have never gotten very good support from Nuvo on this device. Autonomic was pretty good for a while but now they just refer me to Nuvo where I am promptly ignored.
post #6 of 32 Old 06-16-2012, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiteclub View Post

Jautor et al.
I am still using original music port as well. I am running the newest autonomic MCS version but still have strange bugs. Pandora works well for the most part. I have most of my issues with internet radio. It is a crap shoot which stations will play (most seem to not).

I had a similar problem where most Internet Radio stations wouldn't work at all. It turned out there was a number of MP3 codecs installed (who knows why) and there was some conflict/incompatibility/whatever. I rebuilt the server from a fresh Windows OS install and then it worked fine (and I don't install other audio-related stuff on that machine, assuming that's what got it mucked up in the first place).
Quote:
The most strange bug that I have experienced is starting radiotime on one of the music port sources (I have 3) and have the audio actually being played on one of the other music port sources. NO IDEA how this happens! Also get the occasion connecting to source message.

I'm only running one source off of the MP, so I haven't seen anything that weird. Rebooting the machine regularly to get the services back in order is definitely a must-do... That's usually why I'll get the Connecting to Source messages - one of the Autonomic Mirage processes has crashed, and fails to restart itself. Apparently it gets confused by Windows update / Security Center into thinking the machine is shutting down, and therefore it shouldn't restart its service. Now, why the service crashes in the first place, i never got any resolution on that one...
Quote:
I have never gotten very good support from Nuvo on this device. Autonomic was pretty good for a while but now they just refer me to Nuvo where I am promptly ignored.

There was a recent update for the MPS4 server (Spotify, some other stuff IIRC), but overall I don't think they're on good terms any more. NuVo is using "someone else" for their new wireless system / streamer, and I think NuVo was unhappy with Autonomic bringing out their own hardware bundled solutions, too... Don't know the whole story, so don't know who's to blame. I'd love to know who's doing the new system software, so I could start providing some suggestions!

Jeff

post #7 of 32 Old 06-16-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

I had a similar problem where most Internet Radio stations wouldn't work at all. It turned out there was a number of MP3 codecs installed (who knows why) and there was some conflict/incompatibility/whatever. I rebuilt the server from a fresh Windows OS install and then it worked fine (and I don't install other audio-related stuff on that machine, assuming that's what got it mucked up in the first place).
Interesting. I am running on a clean install of Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit. I have not installed any other audio software either. Just Itunes. What software do you use to view installed codecs? Any clue which ones are the bad actors?
Quote:

I'm only running one source off of the MP, so I haven't seen anything that weird. Rebooting the machine regularly to get the services back in order is definitely a must-do... That's usually why I'll get the Connecting to Source messages - one of the Autonomic Mirage processes has crashed, and fails to restart itself. Apparently it gets confused by Windows update / Security Center into thinking the machine is shutting down, and therefore it shouldn't restart its service. Now, why the service crashes in the first place, i never got any resolution on that one...
Well, I turned off Windows updates and do that manually every so often.
Quote:

There was a recent update for the MPS4 server (Spotify, some other stuff IIRC), but overall I don't think they're on good terms any more. NuVo is using "someone else" for their new wireless system / streamer, and I think NuVo was unhappy with Autonomic bringing out their own hardware bundled solutions, too... Don't know the whole story, so don't know who's to blame. I'd love to know who's doing the new system software, so I could start providing some suggestions!
Jeff

This is news for me. You mentioned that Nuvo is still planning to have a software upgrade for the original MP. Are you saying that this will be done by this "someone else"?

Thanks for your reply

Bill
post #8 of 32 Old 06-16-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiteclub View Post

Interesting. I am running on a clean install of Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit. I have not installed any other audio software either. Just Itunes. What software do you use to view installed codecs? Any clue which ones are the bad actors?

Honestly don't remember where it was - I think buried somewhere in WMP. And there was no indication of which one was "bad". Autonomic was driving via remote session, I should have taken notes! smile.gif
Quote:
This is news for me. You mentioned that Nuvo is still planning to have a software upgrade for the original MP. Are you saying that this will be done by this "someone else"?

Autonomic has told me on numerous occasions that an update for Mirage 3.0 was "coming". As in the software developer's definition of "soon". So, someday between now and the end of time.

And no, I don't mean someone else will update the MPS4 or MusicPort - I meant the new wireless NuVo products are not using Mirage as their core. And so I would fully expect NuVo to come out with a replacement product for the MPS4 / MPS4e that uses the same codebase and feature set. Would only make sense to have consistency in their products - both for the dealers and customers.

Taking the 3-source/3-zone P3100 unit, removing the 6x20 amp and adding a NuVoNet connection - that would be a great companion for the Grand Concerto... The P3100 is supposed to MSRP at $1299 - I'd buy the amp-less version for the same price in a heartbeat.

Jeff

post #9 of 32 Old 06-17-2012, 03:11 PM

Jeff,

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers.

Bill
post #10 of 32 Old 06-26-2012, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I am trying to become a dealer with autonomic and getting ahold of them has been impossible. I applied on the site may 9th. Said a response within a day. I waited weeks. Left messages. Got someone in person. Took my number. Said someone would call back within a day. No reply. Left another message. Finally got a call back and a vm as I missed the call. Call him back 3x and left messages. No reply. Called other day, explained situation and women sounded kind of bothered and rude. Said someone will get ahold of me.

No response. Is autonomic usually this awful? There are limited products of this type in the field and I really like what they offer. I need access to their stuff. I needed the MCS software like yesterday.
post #11 of 32 Old 06-26-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Autonomic may be under the impression that you're not a professional integrator, with a custom installation company, and don't want you to sign up as a dealer.

I'm sure that if you were a pro, they would have signed you up promptly.

Don't bad-mouth Autonomic if you're trying to masquerade as a pro installer, and they won't sign you up.

But, I applaud your effort.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #12 of 32 Old 06-26-2012, 01:47 PM

no their response was they have been busy moving to a new location. aside from the general application info they know nothing about my business to even make a decision as i haven't spoken with anyone other then a secretary one time for 10 seconds. Glad to see there is one of you on every message board who can't wait to post up replies like that.

now back to my question.... is autonomic general poor at being able to contact them and customer service because from what I am seeing i'm starting to think twice about buying their products.
post #13 of 32 Old 06-26-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard143 View Post

no their response was they have been busy moving to a new location.

Well, that part is certainly true, was talked about a bit on their MMS5A webinar last week...
Quote:
Glad to see there is one of you on every message board who can't wait to post up replies like that.

Just as plentiful as the customer service rants for relatively minor offenses... rolleyes.gif
Quote:
now back to my question.... is autonomic general poor at being able to contact them and customer service because from what I am seeing i'm starting to think twice about buying their products.

I'm not a dealer, but have had both good and mixed customer service with them as an end user. I say mixed because I still have outstanding issues unresolved, but did have very good experience with them as they debugged and resolved other issues through remote console.

Could they do better, yes, but so can just about everyone... Hopefully you'll get some other input from some actual dealers.

Jeff

post #14 of 32 Old 06-26-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

The Autonomic site requests a dealer website, to screen out the riff raff. What did you put there? Did they request a tax ID? From what I've read, they went to a sales rep distribution model, about a year ago, IIRC. Call your regional rep to sign up.

post #15 of 32 Old 06-26-2012, 06:14 PM

Filled it out completely. Corporation name. Website. Tax id. even put resale certificate number in comments section. Whole deal. Perhaps they are just that busy.
post #16 of 32 Old 06-26-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard143 View Post

Filled it out completely. Corporation name. Website. Tax id. even put resale certificate number in comments section. Whole deal. Perhaps they are just that busy.

Not going to make excuses for them... They did move, and shipped their new product this week, so they might have been buried. But they should at least acknowledge those requests... Especially when they provide the web form - not like they can't read your writing or something! biggrin.gif

post #17 of 32 Old 06-26-2012, 08:40 PM

Well I'll keep trying. Not the end of the world. Thanks guys
post #18 of 32 Old 08-18-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm actually considering a new Nuvo Essentia setup and although the keypads and tuner look good I dont like the look of the MP4S as it does not seem to have NAS support. I have an existing server/NAS that could run the MCS-EX software but is hardware/software available to allow it to integrate properly with the Nuvonet and RS232 port on the Essentia? I did see mention in another thread of a $500 adaptor.
post #19 of 32 Old 08-18-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

I'm actually considering a new Nuvo Essentia setup and although the keypads and tuner look good I dont like the look of the MP4S as it does not seem to have NAS support. I have an existing server/NAS that could run the MCS-EX software but is hardware/software available to allow it to integrate properly with the Nuvonet and RS232 port on the Essentia? I did see mention in another thread of a $500 adaptor.

The MPS4/elite has support for network shares. That's one of the big differences between it and the "regular" MPS4...

You could also look at Casatunes paired with the NuVoNet adapter to see if that fits yours needs...

Jeff

post #20 of 32 Old 08-19-2012, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thank you for the info Jautor, Casatunes looks like it might be the best choice. Is MCS-EX also an option if combined with the Nuvo adaptor?
post #21 of 32 Old 08-19-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

Thank you for the info Jautor, Casatunes looks like it might be the best choice. Is MCS-EX also an option if combined with the Nuvo adaptor?

That's what I'm using currently, but MCS hasn't been updated in quite a while, so it's support of online services, codecs, etc. is limited. I can't remember I got FLAC working or not by using the VLC codec packs... But Pandora and Internet Radio (TuneIn) both work well. I have to reboot my machine every few days because of a bug that causes MCS to crash after Windows / Security Update. I just schedule a reboot at 4am so it doesn't bother me much...

Jeff

post #22 of 32 Old 11-17-2013, 04:57 PM

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has insight on this.

I'm currently building a house and I found great deal on a new Nuvo Essentia. We pretty much ONLY listen to internet radio now but I don't want to spend $2Kon a new Music Port just to listen to that anywhere in my house. I was wondering if anyone has heard any rumors about any integration of the wireless systems and the Essentia or Concerto? That would be nice and competitive against everyone else.

Or are there any alternatives that allow me to control Pandora from the keypads? Right now my plan is to run my Roku player to the Nuvo system and then control the Roku Pandora app through phones/ipad. This isn't ideal but it will work
post #23 of 32 Old 11-17-2013, 05:33 PM

Lots of other options depending..... What keypads are you running? Nuvo keypads? I prefer not to go with closed system keypads. Really limits ya. A control system with in wall iPads for ex with music control is so much more flexible. Could use a vortexbox, vidabox squeeze solo and a couple other routes.
post #24 of 32 Old 11-18-2013, 11:19 AM

I purchased the Nuvo keypads as well. I didn't realize I could use other keypads with a Nuvo system. I will look into the other pads that you mentioned.

I still have a few months before implementation. We are just starting the pre wire of the house.
post #25 of 32 Old 11-18-2013, 11:33 AM

sure you can. most major control systems like control4, rti, creston etc offer a nuvo driver. you install the driver on the processor then design the interface on whatever touchscreen you decide to go with whether it be the control manufacturer branded screen, ipads, iphones, androids, hell even a pc display or a tv. it can be designed however you like versus being locked into what nuvo decides is their layout. the advantage is you can later control whatever you want from that same touchscreen. lighting, hvac, security cameras, tvs, whatever. the downside is increased cost. not only would you need panels but frames and a way to charge the devices (which some frames incorporate like iport cm series) but you also need to factor in program time which can be quite extensive.
post #26 of 32 Old 11-18-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholden52 View Post

I purchased the Nuvo keypads as well. I didn't realize I could use other keypads with a Nuvo system. I will look into the other pads that you mentioned.

It's probably more correct to say that if you buy any of the larger, integrated systems with in-wall controls / touchscreens / keypads, they will all be able to control a NuVo WHA system unit.

The NuVo systems enable the NuVo keypads only - anything else requires additional hardware, and / or an integrated automation system (Control4, Savant, etc.)
Quote:
I still have a few months before implementation. We are just starting the pre wire of the house.

Concentrate on getting that right! Add extra cat6 lines to potential keypad / controllers in "key" areas like main hallways - in addition to zone keypads for WHA control.

Jeff

post #27 of 32 Old 11-18-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:

It's probably more correct to say that if you buy any of the larger, integrated systems with in-wall controls / touchscreens / keypads, they will all be able to control a NuVo WHA system unit.

The NuVo systems enable the NuVo keypads only - anything else requires additional hardware, and / or an integrated automation system (Control4, Savant, etc.)
Concentrate on getting that right! Add extra cat6 lines to potential keypad / controllers in "key" areas like main hallways - in addition to zone keypads for WHA control.

Jeff

It you ever want to expand it's not a bad way to go. Nuvo is nice without a doubt and if all you want to do with those keypads is whole house audio then your all set.
post #28 of 32 Old 01-26-2014, 03:04 PM

I have both a new unused Nuvo Music Port Adapter and a new unused Nuvo NuvoNet Adapter. Both are for sale at a very reasonable price. The NuvoNet adapter not only connects as a source to a Nuvo Essentia or Concerto system you can also connect it via RS 232 port for communications withe different home automation controls. please contact me to discuss.
post #29 of 32 Old 03-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So I have a question. Based on another thread on here, I can't tell whether the MPS4 (and Elite) have been discontinued or not? They are still shown on the Nuvo (now Legrand) site. I have an existing GC system, and my AM/FM/XM tuner crapped out a couple of years ago so all I've been living off has been the hard drive server (M3?). I have been wanting to replace that and the dead tuner with an MPS4 but never spent the money. What's the deal with these? I have no desire to spend more money than the cost of installing an MPS4 to replace the entire Nuvo system. I'll just live with the M3.

And can one of you remind me - is the MPS4 (non elite) controllable from the iDevice app? Or do you have to use the Elite version to have access to that control? I think I asked this a year or so ago, but I'm old and my memory is shot.

Thanks, guys!
post #30 of 32 Old 03-06-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

It's still current, and yes the app works with both...

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page