New home multi room installation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-23-2012, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I have a new installation i'd appreciate some suggestions on please. 5 zones ( bedroom, bathroom, kit, 2nd floor hallway, patio ). No hardware at all installed yet. Each zone has a cat 5 cable ran to the future wall plate in each of the areas for the vol control. All of the speakers and cat5 are terminated in a Media niche ( knockout in the wall large enough for multiple components ). I have a media room and games room that are both 5.1 prewired discrete to each room.

I'd like to be easily able to switch between sources. Itunes library....mabye driven from an airport express or apple tv , att uverse, stereo receiver( fm for example)

I certainly want the ability to control the vol in each zone.....ideally remotely....ipod perhaps, ir remote? My wife does everything on her iphone so any hardware that supported that would be easy to sell to the wife!

Ideally i'd like to be able to play different music on each of the sets of speakers....which is the 1st question. Does anyone do that in reality? We have teen age kids.....so i can see them maybe wanting different music in different areas but the games room and media room are going to have inpependant av for movies anyway so we can still accomodate that. I worry that the complexity of anything anywhere might be more frustrating than its worth

Second question.
I have seem multi room amps, receivers, splitters, distribution modules....etc. i'm lost on where to start or what might be a good value product. If i were to have 2 options. 1. Each zone playing different source. And 2. Each zone playing same source. Any one have any favorite hardware to reccomend?

Lastly. These are all in ceiling speakers. Im going to set up a sub in the main listening area ( kitchen). But otherwise the only base will be from the in ceiling speakers. Any thoughts on size and brand of a reasonable in ceiling speaker?

I dont have a budget in mind but expect im not getting away for less than 3 k with speakers. Especially when i see some amps in the 1500 range.

Anyway. I know its a long winded question but i appreciate any thoughts from those of you who have been at the beginning of these setups before.

One last comment. If it isnt simple. My wife wont use t and i'll have spent several thousand....and she'll be listening to itunes from her computer speakers!

Thanks.
Mac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Doing some more research on the hardware that I can use for this and i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the components.

I found a setup by Home Theater Direct (HTD.com) who also sell speakers - though i dont know the quality of either. They have a beginner, intermediate and advanced setup.

The intermediate has a 40w per ch - 6 ch amp. Comes with 6 wall control pads that allow you to change source and volume either at the pad or from an IR remote. What is real interesting is that there is an add on that is a "web server" which allows you to control the entire setup from a wireless device like an IPAD, IPOD or IPHONE...it isnt an app however - you connect directly to the web server. All in for that system is ~ 1700 before speakers.

The other system I found to so similar is KNOLL Systems 6 ch multi zone amp ( GSZ-67 ) 7 source, 6 zone 50 w per channel. They too have the keypads that allow you to select zone and volume.
This system has an RS232 connection that i guess you can connect to ab ITACH device ( wf2sl) which with some software ( iruleathome.com) allows the same control as the system above such as selecting source to zone, volume, multiple settings...etc.
Sounds like this is a little more involved than the HTD stsyem however.

Anyone have experience with either of these systems? or should i just bite the bullett, spend the extra 1000 and get control4

Cheers
Mac
post #3 of 16 Old 04-24-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 363
HTD is well-respected around here for a good budget system. The "limitation" with their systems is the lack of metadata/menus at the keypads. Yes, they do have an iDevice control app, but it will be separate from the sources, too.

Take a look at the NuVo Simplese or Grand Concerto, paired with the MusicPort Server (MPS4 or MPS4e). The server adds iDevice support and gives you a wealth of Internet music service support as well as a local digital library.

Building a setup from "scratch" using iRule is going to be a PITA, quite frankly. The NuVo systems should still be less expensive than Control4. Although that may depend on what your future plans are...

Jeff

(PS - Bias, I own a NuVo GC)

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 16 Old 04-25-2012, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdenewf View Post

Doing some more research on the hardware that I can use for this and i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the components.

I found a setup by Home Theater Direct (HTD.com) who also sell speakers - though i dont know the quality of either. They have a beginner, intermediate and advanced setup.

I have the HTD Mid level system with the KC7 keypads, it works fine for me and I don't really care about not having metadata on keypads because I can control it from a touchscreen. I have my system controlled through CQC home automation software and I can see what is playing on my iPods and iPads and get all my metadata from there. I don't really need the keypads for my setup.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-25-2012, 11:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 80
And, for that matter, if you have a Grand Concerto type system, CQC can also push metadata out to the keypads for you as well, and you can control CQC via buttons on the keypads, in addition to having it available on your touch screens directly via CQC's interfaces, so there's a lot of flexibility there.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

www.charmedquark.com

post #6 of 16 Old 04-28-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks...i'll look them both up.
The metesada..is that just the song title? Sounds like a nice to have but i dont know if i'd care too much.

I think what might be more important would be the ability to control what was going on on the source as well. The programming option woul dget me there but i totally agree.
Pain in the a$$

Thanks Again
mac.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-28-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The metesada..is that just the song title? Sounds like a nice to have but i dont know if i'd care too much. I think what might be more important would be the ability to control what was going on on the source as well.

The 2-way displays do both: allow menus and control of the sources (and be able to see what's selected), and display metadata (song/artist/info/etc.). Don't underestimate the value of the metadata display - especially when used with Internet streaming services, where you'll hear new music all the time. Once you have a display with this info, you'll never do without it...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #8 of 16 Old 04-28-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:

Thanks...i'll look them both up.
The metesada..is that just the song title? Sounds like a nice to have but i dont know if i'd care too much.

I think what might be more important would be the ability to control what was going on on the source as well. The programming option woul dget me there but i totally agree.
Pain in the a$$

Thanks Again
mac.

That is what you get with a full control system like I have with CQC. I am using as sources Squeezeboxes, XM Radio, Audio from the Server, Direct TV and an iPod. I can see what is playing from any of the sources and control it, having the info on a small keypad really is not needed if you have an iPhone/iPod/iPad, for control, I see no advantage to standing at a wall keypad to use the system when I can control it from anywhere on my iPods or iPads.

CQC even has an I.P. driver for Direct TV so I can control it as just an audio source without having to have a TV on and see what is playing on the iPods and iPads.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-28-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Russound C-Series multichannel amp and controller, plus a Russound music server, would be comparable in price to the Nuvo options.

I've been happy with my Nuvo GC and Nuvo music server.

Call local Nuvo and Russound dealers for estimates.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #10 of 16 Old 04-28-2012, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDB123 View Post

I have the HTD Mid level system with the KC7 keypads, it works fine for me and I don't really care about not having metadata on keypads because I can control it from a touchscreen. I have my system controlled through CQC home automation software and I can see what is playing on my iPods and iPads and get all my metadata from there. I don't really need the keypads for my setup.

Have you used the web interface at all to be able to control the zones and vol?
Was looking on feedback how user friendly or useful it is.
Mac
post #11 of 16 Old 04-29-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:

Have you used the web interface at all to be able to control the zones and vol?
Was looking on feedback how user friendly or useful it is.
Mac

I am using CQC to control the HTD MCA 66, that way I don't have to jump back and forth from one program to another.
I have not purchased the web server for the HTD MCA 66 yet, I want to so I could leave it with the house if I ever move.
post #12 of 16 Old 04-30-2012, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Mac
post #13 of 16 Old 05-01-2012, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I always see people reference NuVo or Russound when metadata displays come up over HTD.

If no metadata is a dealbreaker (meaning HTD is out), without starting a war, which of these is regarded as being better? (such as Grand Concerto vs. MCA-C5)
post #14 of 16 Old 05-01-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw886 View Post

I always see people reference NuVo or Russound when metadata displays come up over HTD.

If no metadata is a dealbreaker (meaning HTD is out), without starting a war, which of these is regarded as being better? (such as Grand Concerto vs. MCA-C5)

Hopefully someone truly unbiased can chime in...

The decision at the time I bought mine was easy because NuVo had a digital music source (MusicPort) and Russound did not. Now they both have similar capabilities, implemented quite differently. But take the base systems as very similar, and both should absolutely be considered in conjunction with their server/streamer products as "required options". That's the MPS-4 or MPS-4e for NuVo and the DMS-3.1 for Russound.

The Airplay feature of the Russound is a good answer, as it allows a lot of the Internet services to function without requiring support directly from Russound. I assume metadata from an Airplay stream will show up on the keypads - if not, that knocks the solution down several notches. I don't know how much control (if any) you'd get over an Airplay stream from the keypads. Assuming none - then an Airport Express tied to a NuVo system gets close, depending on how much metadata the Russound solution could provide (AE to NuVo wouldn't get you anything).

NuVo's server/streamer holds the Internet services support natively, so you'll get what providers they offer, but a nicely integrated solution. I like the integrated solution because it doesn't require someone to have an iPhone laying around to start an Airplay stream. Being able to use the system completely from the keypad is a big plus in their favor.

Other big difference is the look and feel of the keypads. NuVo's OLED displays are easy to see from quite a distance away. The small text on the Russound LCDs probably not as easy to make out, but may provide more space for information. Navigating on the hard buttons of the Russound may be a plus.

Jeff

post #15 of 16 Old 05-02-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
If using a pro installer, he may be able to give you a demo of 1 or both.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #16 of 16 Old 05-03-2012, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Let me confule this even more. I really like the idea of control 4. I’ve been wanting this for several years but the total cost seems out of reach ( 8 zone amp 2500, 800 series controller 1100, multi switch rool vol control 180 each * 6 …programming 500 to 1000). One of my initial options was controlling an Home Theater Direct MZ amp from software such as iruleathome……..let me ask this.
If I buy the 6 zone HDT mid range system….could this be controled via rs232 or IP from a control 4 main unit? I want to do the control4 but I don’t have 4k to spend on the system right now. Will I be 2k out if I buy the HDT or will control 4 be able to interface?

Sorry to confuse the issue…and I do appreciate the replies so far.

Mac
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page