post #1 of 3 Old 05-01-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Devices:
Ps3, 360, HTPC, Cable Box -- All HDMI
Surround Sound : Onkyo HT-S5100 7.1
Projector : Epson 8350, or Optoma HD33 (still deciding)

Will a simple HDMI Switch to the trick?
4 Devices ===(4 wires)==Switch--Onkyo--Projector

Most projectors only have 2 HDMI's and no optical audio inputs. So will the switch serve for both audio and video as long as my sound system has audio/video pass through? What do I need to find out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-01-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 350
I don't believe that Onkyo unit processes HDMI audio - it treats it only as a pass through, so it's essentially an HDMI switch. And you have more HDMI sources than the Onkyo anyway. No reason to run audio to the projector, just need video...

Two options:

1) Connect everything to a 4-port HDMI switch, and the switch output directly to the projector. Run separate audio cables from each source to the Onkyo. You'll be switching audio and video separately. This can be a PITA unless you're using a Harmony or other 'activity' remote to handle both functions together.

2) Run as many sources as you can to the Onkyo using HDMI and audio cables. Run your most frequently used source to the projector directly, and the audio to your Onkyo. This requires two HDMI cables to your projector...

With the lack of HDMI audio capability in that receiver, I'd really suggest saving up to replace it (keep all the speakers) with anything that has proper HDMI audio support. It will make running the setup much simpler, and you won't invest any time/money in switches and other stuff that would be better spent on a receiver...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 3 Old 05-01-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thnx Jeff, I think option 1 will work for me now. thnx for laying it out the way u did. The Harmony remote is also on my to do list, so should take care of my problem. Wanting the Rf remote
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page