distributed audio systems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello, i'm looking to purchase a distributed audio system, i have 5 zones, one of which i'd like to have surround sound on, but its not necessary, i can always have that zone be a separate system. but i'd really like digital keypads in each zone. my budget is 1500$ or thereabouts. i was looking at the aton dh44 and the russound cav 44. i like the russound but the only inputs are composite. anyone recommend a decent system? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Yeah, the Aton DH44 or the Xantech DDS (similar Digi5 systems). Also look at the NuVo Essentia which has a metadata display on the keypads that you can take advantage of now or in the future...

What wiring do you have in place, or are you able to run cabling to all these locations?

And yes, keep your surround sound zone separate, feed sources to both systems if needed. And if you like the Russound, just ignore the composite video stuff...

What sources are you wanting to distribute?

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 05-02-2012, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jeff,
It's a new construction and I ran 14 gauge speaker wire to each speaker and a cat5 to the control in each room. Also the drywall isnt up so I can change that if I needed to.
Perhaps I misspoke about the Russound- what I don't like about it is the the only input type seems to be the RCA type connection and I'd prefer hdmi or optical.

My sources will be a custom xbmc box, fm radio, and a turntable. Maybe an apple tv too
Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 381
No reason for a whole house / distributed audio to use even digital audio, let alone HDMI... You're not going to find one that does anything except good old analog RCA connections - cause that's all that's necessary.

Did you home run your speaker wire, or does it just terminate at the control location? If not, think about home running a 4-conductor speaker cable - then you'll be set for any of the systems on the market.

For distributing those sources, note that "remote controlling" the sources is a very important part of making the setup usable. Otherwise it means trips to the sources every time you want to use the system, which in my experience means the setup doesn't get used nearly as often.

Jeff

PS - AppleTV doesn't have an analog audio output, but there relatively inexpensive DACs to take care of this - or just use an Airport Express instead.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht