Whole home audio: what to use for multiple audio sources??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-03-2012, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Dakaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did it, I took the plunge and installed a whole home audio system when we built a year and a half ago. I have 10 zones, two HTD 6 zone controllers/amps with two zones unused. In each room I can select one of 8 sources, working great except.... how do you get 8 sources of content????

What are people using for multi-source audio? I always envisioned having a genre (rock, country, top 40, etc) per source but the only way I can see doing it is with 8 independent devices. I have one Grace Digital GDI-IRDT200 plus a few zones that have local inputs for iPods, etc. Do I just have to go out and buy 6 more devices or is there a better answer?

Thanks all
Dakaz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 05-03-2012, 06:32 AM
Senior Member
 
WayneDB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakaz View Post

I did it, I took the plunge and installed a whole home audio system when we built a year and a half ago. I have 10 zones, two HTD 6 zone controllers/amps with two zones unused. In each room I can select one of 8 sources, working great except.... how do you get 8 sources of content????

What are people using for multi-source audio? I always envisioned having a genre (rock, country, top 40, etc) per source but the only way I can see doing it is with 8 independent devices. I have one Grace Digital GDI-IRDT200 plus a few zones that have local inputs for iPods, etc. Do I just have to go out and buy 6 more devices or is there a better answer?

Thanks all

Well if you have complaints from people that there are not enough options then you might need to add more sources,
I have as sources a couple of Squeezebox receivers, an AM/FM HD tuner, XM sat radio, Direct TV audio and an iPod.
WayneDB123 is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 05-03-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Neurorad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Give a monkey a brain...
Posts: 5,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 79
My Nuvo music server provides 4 sources.

Options include internet radio, Pandora, Rhapsody, Spotify, music files from networked PCs, internet SiriusXM, Last.fm.

Not sure how compatible it would be with HTD, but I'm guessing it could be made to work.

Nice iPad app, for the music server.

I guess the Autonomic Controls Mirage Media Server 2 or MMS-5 would also be considerations, but pricey.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Neurorad is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 05-03-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Casatunes just announced a new, lower-cost server with 3 outputs as well. Only thing it's missing is Pandora.

But back to the original question - what are you trying to accomplish? Adding more sources for the sake of filling up the inputs doesn't sound like a good plan...

I've got my music server, an AM/FM tuner, my DirecTV receivers (for TV audio), and an iPod dock as sources.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is online now  
post #5 of 13 Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Senior Member
 
WayneDB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

My Nuvo music server provides 4 sources.

Options include internet radio, Pandora, Rhapsody, Spotify, music files from networked PCs, internet SiriusXM, Last.fm.

Not sure how compatible it would be with HTD, but I'm guessing it could be made to work.

Nice iPad app, for the music server.

I guess the Autonomic Controls Mirage Media Server 2 or MMS-5 would also be considerations, but pricey.

What would be the advantage of using a very expensive source on the HTD system if you can't take advantage of the all the features that would be lost outside of a Nuvo
System?

I would recommend a Vortexbox, Squeezebox or even Sonos long before a Nuvo server, the HTD keypads won't show the metadata or have control ability and everything has a good iPhone/iPod /iPad app now.
WayneDB123 is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 05-03-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDB123 View Post

What would be the advantage of using a very expensive source on the HTD system if you can't take advantage of the all the features that would be lost outside of a Nuvo
System?

They can be controlled with iDevices, the same as Sonos. If you need 3-4 streams, the cost of the single server approaches that of 3-4 individual Sonos boxes, and may be easier to deal with (maybe). But starting with one or two Sonos Connect units and adding more if necessary would be my suggestion...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is online now  
post #7 of 13 Old 05-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Senior Member
 
WayneDB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

They can be controlled with iDevices, the same as Sonos. If you need 3-4 streams, the cost of the single server approaches that of 3-4 individual Sonos boxes, and may be easier to deal with (maybe). But starting with one or two Sonos Connect units and adding more if necessary would be my suggestion...

Jeff

It sounds like he (Dakaz) is not even sure if he needs anymore sources so adding one or two at a time, if needed is a better idea.


Below info is directed at the O.P.

A single Vortexbox server costs about the same as a single sonos player and has 4 audio sources available, it looks like a Squeezebox to the control apps.

I use a home built Vortexbox running on an 11 watt PC but I don't use the audio as a source. You can download an .iso at http://vortexbox.org.
Vortexbox is a ready to run server based on Fedora Linux.

A Squeezebox radio cost less than half of a Sonos player and can also be controlled with an iPhone app. I think Squeezebox is easier to control in a full
H/A system .vs Sonos.
WayneDB123 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 05-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Member
 
mike mcdaniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North of Atlanta Ga.
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a couple of Logetech squeeze boxes, Htpc, hd tuner, apple tv/express. We like the squeezeboxes. Affordable source that is controlled with iPhone. You can have 5-13 sources in one.
mike mcdaniel is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 05-03-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Dakaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDB123 View Post

It sounds like he (Dakaz) is not even sure if he needs anymore sources so adding one or two at a time, if needed is a better idea.

I definitely want to add at least 4 more permanite sources. It's much more convenient to just turn the audio on and select a source than look for the iPad and start a source. Plus, I don't have a huge music collection so a music server doesn't really do much for me. Doesn't anyone else have internet radio playing 24/7?
Dakaz is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 05-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Member
 
stefan.hallen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakaz View Post

I definitely want to add at least 4 more permanite sources. It's much more convenient to just turn the audio on and select a source than look for the iPad and start a source. Plus, I don't have a huge music collection so a music server doesn't really do much for me. Doesn't anyone else have internet radio playing 24/7?

What... hm... This is a bit confusing

What do you think a "source" is if you expect to be able to just turn the audio on and select a source, but not have to actually control the source?

Do you want the sources to just behave like separate radio channels that are constantly playing?
stefan.hallen is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 05-04-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Dakaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan.hallen View Post

What do you think a "source" is if you expect to be able to just turn the audio on and select a source, but not have to actually control the source?

Do you want the sources to just behave like separate radio channels that are constantly playing?

Yes, exactly. Thats how we use the Grace internet radio now, we have a station constantly tuned on it, sometimes internet radio, sometimes a pandora station. I feel kind of dumb... isn' that how most people use their whole home audio? I want music on 6 different sources all the time... but I don't want to buy 6 independent internet radios, so I'm looking for options and trying to figure out what others with the same situation are doing.
Dakaz is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 05-04-2012, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakaz View Post

isn' that how most people use their whole home audio?

Nope. Stuff will timeout eventually too, and not exactly a friendly use of bandwidth to leave a bunch of stuff streaming 24/7 with no one listening...

Quote:


I want music on 6 different sources all the time... but I don't want to buy 6 independent internet radios, so I'm looking for options and trying to figure out what others with the same situation are doing.

You get one device for each "simultaneous" session you need. If you think you'll have two streams in use, you need two sources - regardless of the content. Same answer if it was FM radio...

Figure out a plan to control your source(s) - you'll be happier and not confining yourself to some static setup that you'll curse every time you want to change or have to restart, and venture to the closet to kick it.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is online now  
post #13 of 13 Old 05-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Senior Member
 
WayneDB123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: So. California
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakaz View Post


Yes, exactly. Thats how we use the Grace internet radio now, we have a station constantly tuned on it, sometimes internet radio, sometimes a pandora station. I feel kind of dumb... isn' that how most people use their whole home audio? I want music on 6 different sources all the time... but I don't want to buy 6 independent internet radios, so I'm looking for options and trying to figure out what others with the same situation are doing.

If your equipment is in a rack it shouldn't matter if the Internet Radios are separate or not if you were to use Squeezebox radios, the Squeezebox touch is a good price and
You can easily control multiple radios with iPeng on an iPhone/iPod/iPad. I use the Squeezebox receivers that were a part of the Squeezebox Duet system and iPeng is better than the Duet controller that came with the Squeezebox receiver. If you have your equipment on display, a bunch of Your Grace Digital radios would look nicer in a
Stack but I don't know if the control app is designed to be used with multiple radios. For clarification I have been using Squeezebox Radio in a generic sense and Logitech makes a radio called the Squeezebox Radio, if it were me I would get the Logitech Squeezebox Touch version but all my equipment is hidden in a rack in a closet.

I am not sure about the Vortexbox that is sold ready to go as a multiple source setup, I believe it can split a 7.1 sound card into four separate outputs but you might not get all the services that you would with an actual Squeezebox, I only use my home built Vortexbox box to serve music to my hardware Squeezeboxes but I see the Vortexbox show up as a player in control apps like iPeng.


I don't leave my Squeezeboxes playing unless someone is actually listening.
WayneDB123 is offline  
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off