Simple single source whole house audio question (wired parallel or ??) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-03-2012, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have a simple setup, six or eight speakers wired to a pair of binding posts (L/R). Each pair of speakers has an impedance matching volume knob and that's it. No CAT5, no source selection, etc... just all speaker wire.

My questions is - I'm assuming these volume knobs are all just wired in parallel? The tap is not in an ideal location and I want to relocate them to my HT rack down stairs and I can easily jump off a volume control down there. Re-routing the original set would be a pain, so I thought I would just add second set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-03-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
They should be in parallel, and if there's only one set of binding posts for all of them (tied together), hopefully the volume controls are impedance-matching. You can tap into that anywhere, just make sure you keep the impedance correct for the amp...

Use an ohmmeter to check the nominal resistance (impedance) and make sure it's in a decent range...

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 05-03-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I think that should work in theory, but seems kind of...ghetto.

No way to run a 4 conductor cable from the current home-run location, to the basement location?

Will you ever want more than 1 source playing at the same time?

When I moved my home-run location, I upgraded to a multi-source setup.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 5 Old 05-03-2012, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I figured so. I really only use it to provide background music in the kitchen and deck, the other two zones I don't really use. I don't need multiple sources since I just just airplay and play selections from my phone/ipad. For my family and rec rooms I use zones off my Denon 4311 .. this whole house system is just background music (kitchen, deck, dinning room and formal living).
post #5 of 5 Old 05-03-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Obviously, tap into the run before the IMVC.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page