Newbie needs advice, tips, and help on wiring install - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-03-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have tried searching for this info, but there is so much, that i have info overload. Im more confused than ever and need any help I can get

I am in the middle of a major house renovation. The house is a single level home that is 2,800 square feet of living area. I'm currently tearing out sheet rock to the studs and insulating the exterior walls since this was never done, (older house). I'm also remodeling the kitchen by knocking down walls to an existing computer room to expand the area of our kitchen. While I have the studs exposed, I want to improve my current internet connections & network capabilities.

My current setup involves a desktop in a computer room, with a modem and wireless router.

My "theater room" is our living room, and is located on the complete opposite side of the house. I have a TV, (Mitsubishi WD-60638), PS3, A/V receiver, Wii, & DirecTv connected in this room. The PS3 & Wii are connected to the internet wirelessly to the router in the computer room. The directv is not connected to the network because I could never connect it wirelessly. The in-line systems could never be made to work by any tech guy that tried. The wireless is average in this room. I know it could improved with the proper wiring.

The new kitchen will also have a computer nook/workstation built-in. This wall of cabinets will also contain a TV, another directv box, and a DVR system for security cameras above the desk.

What I want to do is this:

Since the majority of my family's wireless activity, (ipads, iphones, and laptops), occurs in the living room, I want the strongest possibly signal I can get located in this room. Due to this, I would like to move the wireless router to the living room. From that location, I would like to hard connect the A/V receiver, the PS3, Directv HDDVR box, and the Wii directly to that router, (a Linksys EA3500 Router), to eliminate the wireless connection those components are currently using.

Then in the kitchen at the work station, I would also like to hard wire the directv box to the internet. The TV, a Sony BRAVIA KDL32BX330 TV will connect to a Denon AVR-1312 via HDMI. The speakers for this set up are in-ceiling ones. My current desktop, which contains all audio and video files, would be located in the desk. I would like to be able to "stream" my audio and video files between the two different TVs, but dont know how to do this. This is an older Dell desktop with the basic usb, audio, and video input/outputs. It does not have wireless connectivity capabilities.

The security system, a Night Owl Poseidon-85 8 Channel H.264, has its on video cables and will connect to the Sony TV. It also needs to be connected to the internet inorder for remote viewing.

So my question is, what do I need to tie all this in together. I would like my hub to be behind my living TV. Would cat6 cables run through conduit be all I need?

I've seen mention of switches, hubs, etc, on this site but have no clue what all that is and if I need that.

I thought I could move my modem and wireless router to the living room, connect my components there directly to the router, then tie it to the kitchen by running 100' cat6 cables from the living room to the kitchen. While my construction knowledge and skills are good, my tech knowledge is minimal.

Anyone have links to diagrams that show this basic set-up? I assume this is basic.

Or can someone be so kind to link specifics items needed to complete this?

Sorry for all the info. I'm sure this has been asked before, but couldn't find it. I'll take any help I can get
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-04-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Now everyone doesn't have to answer at the same time.

Is my post too long?

Too confusing?

Too dumb?

Not enough info?

Needs more clarity?

On the wrong board?

I have to be doing something wrong
post #3 of 8 Old 05-04-2012, 05:20 PM

Liked: 18
Move your router to the living room. You may or may not want to move your modem as well. If you move the modem, remember you'll need whatever kind of wire it requires, to be moved/extended as well ( i.e. cable modem=RG-6, vs. cat5 for DSL/phone line).

You need to run a Cat5 from where the router will be and the kitchen and plan for a 4-or 5-port Ethernet switch in the kitchen.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-04-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Too long.

You want to install category cables 'home run' to the router location, from each location. At locations where you have more than 1 component/device, you'll install a switch there.

The router you use now is also a wireless access point. You can also purchase 1 or more wireless access points to be used remotely from the router, so you can have good reception everywhere.

You can scour the forums for a dozen hours, or buy a book. Or look for 'articles' online covering the setup of WAPs.

Hire a pro, or become one. Put some energy into it.

Home Networking For Dummies might be a good starting point. I own it, it is a good start.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 8 Old 05-04-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 341
If you've got the walls open, take the opportunity to install a central wiring hub (enclosure or a nice piece of plywood on the wall if you've got a basement). Run cat5's and coax to most every room, especially on the exterior walls where it makes sense, since those are difficult to add later. Think about speaker wiring for the future, too.

Sounds like you're planning to be in the house for a while - it will never be anywhere near this cheap to install structured wiring now...

(and ditto to everything else said so far)

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #6 of 8 Old 05-05-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

You want to install category cables 'home run' to the router location, from each location.

thanks for the response.

Forgive my ignorance, but what does this mean? The "category cables home run" part?
post #7 of 8 Old 05-05-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Home Networking For Dummies might be a good starting point. I own it, it is a good start.

Thanks for the tip.

Just ordered it from Amazon.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-05-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Home run means every cable is run to 1 location.

You may want to consider an alternate location for the router, near the modem. I like jautor's idea of a hidden low voltage enclosure, perhaps in a basement mechanical room. Plan room for a switch there too. You can use a central switch, as well as additional switches in individual rooms, e.g. family room TV where you may need multiple Ethernet connections.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page