WHA set-up... Amp or AVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-03-2012, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to set-up a single-source 3-zone WHA system. Source will be an AppleTV gen1 using the analog outs controlled by the requisite idevices. I will be running 14/4, hopefully with cat-5 for the future, to volume controls and then to speakers. The 3 zones will be a 1-car garage, 15'x20' porch and backyard. I figure the garage and the porch zones won't need a whole lot of power, but the backyard zone will. I am gonna mount the backyard zone under the elevated porch and will throw out towards a fire pit 30' away.

Can I get away with a 7 channel AVR or should I go with a multi-channel amp? I am willing to spend some $, but don't wanna break the bank.

Other suggestions are welcome. The only thing I am set on is the AppleTV as it is something the wife and I are already used to using. Nothing else has been purchased.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-03-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Keep checking craigslist until you have the cables, VCs, and speakers installed. May take a while.

If you're installing VCs, you should strongly consider running category cables at the same time, for future upgrading. The cable is pretty cheap, just leave it unterminated behind the VCs.

You may end up with an AVR that integrates well with AirPlay, and may want to replace a VC or 2 with mounted iPads, iTouches, or dock.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 4 Old 05-03-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
A stereo receiver will do, with an impedence matching speaker selector to connect all the speakers to.

30' is a very long distance for regular residential speakers to cover. Is there any way to run pvc conduit in the ground, closer to the fire pit for placement of rock speakers or something? You would have to wire from the firepit in the conduit to the receiver location.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-04-2012, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the input. I am definitely running cat-5. I have stumbled upon some 14/4 with cat-5 bonded to it. Each zone will get its own VC, impedance matching of course.

I thought about conduit to the firepit, but the area is kinda temporary. And I just finished 60' of conduit to my satellite dish. My back can't take anymore.

Now to find my AVR and annoy my neighbors with my country music. Just kidding. Most of them are deaf.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page