Apple TV, outdoor speakers, multiple TVs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-06-2012, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. I'm brand new to this forum. I hope this is the correct place for this thread. If not, please point me in the right direction.

Here is the goal for my setup:
1. Have an indoor and outdoor television, both receiving separate cable inputs from separate boxes.
2. Have outdoor speakers (wired or wireless...I haven't decided yet, and I don't think it matters for these purposes) that can play music directed from my iPad OR receive input from the outdoor TV. I would like to be able to switch between these inputs as I please.
3. Assuming all of this would be made possible only with Apple TV, I'd like to be able to run Apple TV on both of my TVs. If there is a way to use my iPad to remotely control my outdoor speakers without Apple TV, then I don't necessarily have my heart set on having Apple TV.

I have drawn a crude diagram of how I see it working out. I'm hoping someone can:
1. Provide me a reality check as to if this setup would even work.
2. Tell me if there is a more efficient/cheaper way to do this, or if there is are some subtle changes that might give me a more integrated setup.

Thanks everyone!

Attachment 245734
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-06-2012, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, also to clarify: When I say I want to be able to control the speakers (ie control what music is being played...in other words, iTunes), I mean I want to do so wirelessly. That's why I ASSUME I need Apple TV, because I don't think there is any better interface that the iPad will control (but I'm open to hearing differently).

Thanks!
post #3 of 6 Old 05-07-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

As I'm doing more research, I'm starting to suspect that I might need an amplifier between RCA inputs and the speakers. The input on the speakers is speaker wire (there are +/- leads coming out of the speakers). Is this true that I need an amp? If so, is there a good cheap solution?
post #4 of 6 Old 05-07-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 360
You definitely need an amplifier (sources output at 'line level'). Easiest path is any AV receiver (Onkyo, Denon, etc.) with AirPlay support and an iPad/iPhone control app. Then you hook all of your sources (cable box, AppleTV, etc.) to the receiver which powers the speakers.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 Old 05-07-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

You definitely need an amplifier (sources output at 'line level'). Easiest path is any AV receiver (Onkyo, Denon, etc.) with AirPlay support and an iPad/iPhone control app. Then you hook all of your sources (cable box, AppleTV, etc.) to the receiver which powers the speakers.

Jeff

Thank you for your reply. If I got a receiver that supported AirPlay AND I got an AppleTV, wouldn't that be redundant? Wouldn't getting one or the other do the job (ie an AirPlay equipped AV Receiver OR a non-network receiver with AppleTV). The reason I ask is that the price difference between AirPlay equipped receivers and non-network receivers appears to be ~$200. Given that AppleTV is only $100, it seems like it might make sense to buy a cheaper AV receiver and AppleTV, thus saving myself $100 and having the ability to mirror my iPad screen if desired.

If I am way off, please let me know. I am such an amateur on this stuff and I may be getting bad info via google! Thanks!!!

Chris
post #6 of 6 Old 05-07-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceedubbadubba View Post

Thank you for your reply. If I got a receiver that supported AirPlay AND I got an AppleTV, wouldn't that be redundant?

Sorta, yeah... (should have said either/or)

Quote:

he price difference between AirPlay equipped receivers and non-network receivers appears to be ~$200. Given that AppleTV is only $100, it seems like it might make sense to buy a cheaper AV receiver and AppleTV, thus saving myself $100 and having the ability to mirror my iPad screen if desired.

If you want to control the AVR with your iPod/iPad, it will need to be a network receiver to have IP control. Otherwise you're looking at IR repeaters or other 3rd party solutions, and won't be able to use the pre-built apps for control. The network receivers also have lots of Internet music services built-in, which will include lots of stuff not in the Apple universe.

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page