What should I pair with MZC-66 for streaming Audio/Video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-08-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a new home that is set up for use with the Speakercraft MZC-66. (Speakers, nodes, wiring in place)

I would like to be able to use the nodes to control whatever music I am playing but do not want to use an Apple device. I know I could use my laptop or the Control4 HC-800 (Great looking device, but then the price of the MZC-66 and the control 4 HC-800 start to add up).

Is there something else I could use? Western Digital Live TV perhaps? If you are running the Control4 HC-800, can you tell me how it is working for you? Could I use a different set up than the MZC-66 and still use the nodes?

I am new to this area of home theater/automation.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-08-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
It's a little unclear from your post, but do you have the MZC-66?

And, what is a node? Keypad? Keypads are installed?

From the MCZ-66 manual, it looks like category cable run to the keypad location, and speaker cables are home run.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 7 Old 05-08-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will be purchasing the MZC-66 since the builder only installed the speakers, wiring and the Nodes(keypads).

The main question is, what can I connect to it to stream music or movies. They used to sell a jukebox which allowed you to see the name of the artist and song and play, pause etc, but I don't believe that is available anymore, and as I stated before, I am not going to hook up any apple product.

I read the Control4 HC-800 works with it, if you buy drivers form Extra Vegetables. I am looking for an alternative solution, or if that is the only one, how well it works.

Thanks
post #4 of 7 Old 05-08-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by deolrx View Post

Nodes(keypads).

It's called a Mode, not node.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-08-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Why are you so dead set against using an Apple product. Most systems are geared for iTunes and it is fairly cheap to do.

If you want multiple streaming options, Sirius, Last.fm, Pandora, Spotify, etc. then you want to look at Autonomic Controls MMS-5 for 4 multi-zone outputs into the MZC-66. The unit gives a digital output to the surround system receiver or processor (hence the 5 in MMS-5).

Nuvo also makes something similar which I believe is a rebranded version of the MMS-5. If this is what you want, then you might want to go with a complete Nuvo system.

But it's still good if you have iTunes on a computer as it can pick them up from your network.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-08-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Control4 is pro-install only. You'll have to have a C4 dealer install it.

If you're on a tight budget, and want to DIY, check out Home Theater Direct. I've read good things about them, here on AVS.

The Nuvo Essentia + MPS4 music server will be an expensive, but good option.

The MMS-5 is also pro install only.

You may want to have a talk with a local custom installer, to see what they can offer.

Not sure what those Mode KPs can control, other than the Speakerkraft MCZ.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 7 Old 05-08-2012, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

The Mode kps can control a docked idevice through their Mode Base, Mode Adapter and PS-3 power supply. It gets the metadata from the dock and sends it to the kps.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page