Is ethernet over coax dead for retail? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-08-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Note - I posted this question in the networking forum, where I think it belongs. This thread can be deleted.

We're moving in to a new house at the end of the month and it is not prewired with Cat5e/6 - it might have Cat5 behind the phone outlets. I need to connect the office, which will have the cable modem, wireless router, NAS and office computer (plus laptop) with the basement which will have the Wii and Media Center PC and with the living room, which will have the Xbox 360, acting as a Media Center extender.

I originally thought about powerline adapters, but the basement is on a separate sub-panel and I don't think I would get great performance there. Someone recommended MoCA bridges, which I think will work well - there is no shortage of coax connections in the house.

The only problem is I can't find any retail store (local or online) that has them in stock. I'm looking for either the Actiontec, Netgear or D-link products. All 3 show out of stock at newegg, amazon, Walmart, Best-Buy, etc... all I see are off-sites I've never heard of. Am I missing something? Are all the main producers giving up on these in the retail market. If so, that's a shame, these seem to be exactly what I need. Are there other brands or retailers I should consider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-08-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 207
The coax already in the house is probably RG6 or RG59 for CATV. These are both 75ohm cables and will not work for Ethernet which used 50ohm cable. Yes a cable modem uses 75ohm cable but that's not Ethernet at that point.

Furthermore coaxial Ethernet (also called Thinnet) is obsolete. It was also limited to 10mbs which is too slow for modern applications.

Your choices are mainly wireless or CAT5E runs.

BTW, there is no cheating with the 75ohm cable. Many have tried and it simply won't work at all for Thinnet based Ethernet.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #3 of 12 Old 05-08-2012, 04:46 PM

Liked: 12
Coax has more than ten times the bandwidth of Cat5e, and there are plenty of medium to translate ethernet over it. Try looking into Wi3 WiPnet, allows Media Over CoAx (MOCA) and allows the cable and/or modem signal to pass as well. Dont forget the WiPlock filter so your neighbor can't bring home a WiPnet and get onto your network.
sivartechnology likes this.
post #4 of 12 Old 05-08-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

Furthermore coaxial Ethernet (also called Thinnet) is obsolete. It was also limited to 10mbs which is too slow for modern applications.

He's talking about the modern, residential-focued solution called MoCA, not thinnet.

http://www.mocalliance.org/

MoCA isn't dead, systems like DirecTV's DVRs use it (although in a different frequency range for compatibility with their setup).

I assume it's gone from retail because of the ubiquity of both wireless networking in the homes and the easy availability of wireless adapters (or just plain built-in) for the common devices that need it (game consoles, BD players, etc.).

Not sure why it's so out of stock online... AFAIK the setup works, so I don't think that was the issue.

I would look at either the simple dedicated wireless adapters for the game consoles (if you only have one component in the area that needs connectivity), and a wireless bridge to create islands in the room where you have multiple devices.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 12 Old 05-08-2012, 07:50 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

I would look at either the simple dedicated wireless adapters for the game consoles (if you only have one component in the area that needs connectivity), and a wireless bridge to create islands in the room where you have multiple devices.

Yep, wireless devices for these purposes are ubiquitous these days.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-09-2012, 05:59 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyja View Post

The only problem is I can't find any retail store (local or online) that has them in stock. I'm looking for either the Actiontec, Netgear or D-link products. All 3 show out of stock at newegg, amazon, Walmart, Best-Buy, etc... all I see are off-sites I've never heard of. Am I missing something? Are all the main producers giving up on these in the retail market. If so, that's a shame, these seem to be exactly what I need. Are there other brands or retailers I should consider?

You can use DirecTV's Broadband adapters for ethernet over coax as mentioned here > http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...ply-(DECABB1R0)

They can be had for as little as $20 each on ebay > http://www.ebay.com/itm/DECA-BROADBA...item519d4a6001
sivartechnology likes this.

Vin
post #7 of 12 Old 05-09-2012, 05:54 PM

Liked: 11
amazon has plenty of moca adapters including the actiontech
post #8 of 12 Old 05-20-2014, 04:39 AM

Try Dualcomm DECA-100 Ethernet over Coaxial Cable adaptor

Enable transmission of Ethernet/IP packets over Coaxial cables
Transmission distance up to 240 meters (800 feet) at 100Mbps(100Base-T) or 10Mbps(10Base-T)
Passive device. Small size and light weight
Great for IP camera video delivery over existing coax cabling
Reuse otherwise unused in-house coax cabling of IPTV users to build a robust and long-range home networking
post #9 of 12 Old 05-20-2014, 08:36 PM

I'd also look at tivo.com. They sell them because TiVos have MoCa built-in -- but you need an adapter for your router. I've found them to be cheaper than Amazon.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-21-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 38

and plenty of used Verizon Fios Modems on ebay.  These are MoCa

post #11 of 12 Old 05-22-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
DirecTV DECA adapters go for less than $10 each on eBay. I don't have DirecTV, but those adapters work great for me. Unlike MoCA, they will interfere with CATV frequencies, so be aware of that.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

DirecTV DECA adapters go for less than $10 each on eBay. I don't have DirecTV, but those adapters work great for me. Unlike MoCA, they will interfere with CATV frequencies, so be aware of that.

I do have DirecTV and besides using a DECA broadband adapter for it's intended purpose, I'm also using one to connect the streaming (non-WiFi) Blu-ray player in my living room to the internet.  I had an used coax there that runs back to the SWM splitter that gets its internet feed via another BB DECA.....and I've had no issues with the Blu-ray player being on my DECA cloud, works flawlessly.

Vin
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page