One Source Multiple Rooms DIY Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2012, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am post employed computer guy, going back to school. I am very comfortable soldering and building electronics. When I was employed I had lots of toys but now I want to set up audio for multiple rooms coming from the same source with the equipment I already have. I cannot spend a dime more on this so any help would be great.

Here is what I have to work with:

Multiple PC's
Sony STR-DN1000
5.1 Speakers connected to the Sony
One set of PC USB 5.1 speakers
Plenty of wire

All I want is to hear the same audio from all the speakers in multiple rooms. I do not want to have to set up a monitor and computer in every room. I want to press play and be able to go in to another room and here the audio.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Assuming you want to keep the 5.1 setup, and that you can run speaker wire from the Sony to the "other" speakers, and that your computer is the source:

- Use the "B" speaker selector on the Sony to wire the "other" speakers to the receiver
- Add an impedance-matching speaker selector if needed (how many "other" speakers are there?)
- Connect a PC's audio line output to the Sony receiver
- iTunes for software, Apple remote app to run it remotely (assuming an iDevice for control)

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 05-09-2012, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

I have the 5.1 stereo speakers connected to the Sony and the PC is connected to the USB 5.1 Speakers. I don't care about control from the other room, controlling it from one place is fine. The USB 5.1 speakers will only run off of a PC.

Joshua
Old 05-09-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 380
So the PC speakers are the "other" speakers? Does your PC have an audio out? Just connect that to the Sony. Two coax runs can carry the analog audio the cheapest. Or a cat5 with a balun...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 05-10-2012, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Figured it out! I used the HDMI out on my video card to connect to the receiver then cut apart an ethernet cable and rewired it as a USB cable to connect the USB speakers in the other room. New features in windows 7 allow you to have multiple audio streams from the same source!

Thanks for your time, I hope someone else can get something out of this.

Joshua