Finished Basement Audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-10-2012, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally getting around to finishing the basement. I want to run enough cable for distributed audio, touch screens, wired internet, and cable/sat TV.

1. Is 12 gauge cable overkill from Monoprice for the distributed audio? I am thinking just the 2 conductor cable.
2. Should I run Cat5e or just spring for Cat6? Not that much of a difference in price.
3. Should I run just Cat5e/6 to the touch panel locations?

Thanks
MIKE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-10-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapostol View Post

Finally getting around to finishing the basement. I want to run enough cable for distributed audio, touch screens, wired internet, and cable/sat TV.

1. Is 12 gauge cable overkill from Monoprice for the distributed audio? I am thinking just the 2 conductor cable.
2. Should I run Cat5e or just spring for Cat6? Not that much of a difference in price.
3. Should I run just Cat5e/6 to the touch panel locations?

Are you running just for the basement you're finishing, or for the whole house?

For distributed audio, 12AWG is probably overkill. 16AWG is probably fine. Assuming this is going to other areas/rooms, loop the wire through your control pad locations to keep all options open in the future.

Cat5e to keypad/touchpanel locations is fine. It's also fine for just about everything. But yes, the difference in wire price to Cat6 is relatively small, just note that it's harder to terminate and cat6-grade connectors are more expensive.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 4 Old 05-10-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jeff,

This is just for the basement as my upstairs is already wired (from when I built the house).

Is structured wire worth it or just pull the different types of cable independently?

Thanks
MIKE
post #4 of 4 Old 05-10-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Definitely just pull the types of wire you need. Especially if you're doing it yourself. The bundled "structured cables" only save (some) labor costs, and will almost certainly not have the correct count of each wire type for every location. So you're pulling excess or not enough, and so end up supplementing it anyway, and paying a gold-plated premium for your trouble (IMO)...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page