What do you like for termination blocks? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-14-2012, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am wiring my house for audio, video, automation, etc. I am thinking about trying termination blocks. What do you like to use for these applications regarding terminal blocks? I'll have Cat5e, coax, speaker wire, etc.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-14-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
You mean patch panels.

Terminal blocks might be useful for patching audio - I suggest barrier/Buchanan terminal blocks for this purpose.

For patching category cables, you'd use a category cable patch block.

Try searching using patch + block or patch + panel.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 8 Old 05-14-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. If you know of some links to items for sale, that would help too. A picture is worth a few dozen words?
post #4 of 8 Old 05-14-2012, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Oh. What about for telephone/PBX?

Thanks.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-15-2012, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Will you use a low voltage enclosure, a wall mount rack, or a simple piece of plywood screwed to a few studs in a mechanical room?

There are a variety of options for patching phone lines (usually category cables), category cables for Ethernet, and audio (most people don't patch audio cables; the speaker cables are usually run straight to the amp or speaker selector box).

Patching adds a level of complexity that for some people isn't necessary; running category cables for ethernet, from each room, straight to the switch is common. A patch panel allows for easier changes to a configuration - not common in a residential setting.

Leviton, and many other manufacturers, have removed the complexity of 110 blocks for phone category cables in the mechanical room, and replaced them with simple modules/brackets. These devices can be easily snapped into the perforated back of a low voltage enclosure. Spend some time searching online, and visit the low voltage aisle of Home Depot or Lowes to see what's available.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 8 Old 05-15-2012, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
monoprice, parts express, markertek, and there are others. If you want something simple, use the Leviton panels.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-15-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Ok. Thanks for the information. I will look for the low voltage panels and see if I get some ideas from those. I don't yet know if I will really need these panels, so we'll see.

Thanks.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-15-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

That Leviton phone module/bracket, detailed above, is not a patch panel; it's for connecting all your phone cables to a single (or multiple) incoming lines. You'll need something like that, if you want landline phones.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page