Need help with planning RG6 retrofit - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-18-2012, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I'm totally new to this and don't know anything about satellite and home wiring, etc... so please bear with me here.

I currently use cable but am planning to make the switch to satellite some time in the future.

I'm having an electrician come wire RG6 to the house but i'm having a hard time knowing exactly needs to be run where. I've been doing a lot of reading but still don't have all the answers. I'm having everything brought into the house into a central distribution center and then distributed out to the rest of the house.

From what i read initially, typically you need 2 RG6 cables for satellite DVR, so when i asked him to quote me i initially told him to run 2 RG6 to each room and terminate at the distribution center. However based on what i'm reading maybe that's not necessary... so i have a few questions

1) How many runs do i need coming in from the satellite? I've seen some diagrams with 3, some with 4, and some with 5. I would like to be able to get OTA and HDTV also. I guess i need that and also one additional run coming from the street for cable internet.

2) Since i'm still using cable now, can i ask him to pull all the runs to the outside of the house to where the cable connections from the street currently are?I would of the runs to the cable line from the street for now and continue to use that one for the time being. I plan to continue using cable for internet in the future so one of those runs will always be connected to the cable from the street. And down the line when the dish or DTV installer comes, I assume it should be fine for him to run his cables from the satellite down to that point in order to patch into the house.

3) In the distribution center I will need a multiswitch, i don't know if i need a 3x4 or 5x8, depending on the answer to #1 i guess.

4) From the distribution center it looks like i only need 1 run to each room coming out of the Multiswitch. Then in each room i'll need a diplexer to split the signal again. is this correct?

I drew up a small diagram to try to visualize this. Hope the diagram is clear... Any help is appreciated!
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-18-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 379
You're on the right track, but some of your info may be out of date with the latest gear. You should read and/or post over at DBSTalk, where there are gaggles of Sat guys around...

For DirecTV installs now, you only need one RG6 from the dish to the central hub, and then just a power injector and a simple splitter to all of the receivers/DVRs - so it's wired just like CATV. This is a change as they've brought out their Single-Wire-Multiswitch (SWM) gear, which should be used for new installs (definitely ask about it).

Dish Network is different, though, and any desire for OTA means I would stick with your plan for 2xRG6 to each room. Never have too much wire. As for the run from your central hub to the "service entrance(s)", this will depend on where your dish vs. cable entrance would be. Most dish installs are done on the roof these days, so as long as wire can be run easily from the attic or eaves to your central hub, the installer will take care of the rest. But definitely pre-wire to the CATV service entrance, and if you can determine a suitable line-of-sight location for the (future) dish, getting 1-2 RG6 there wouldn't be a bad idea.

Regarding OTA, I'd really avoid doing any plans involving diplexers - always a pain (and may not be possible with the least-expensive gear). If you can run 2xRG6 to each room now, do that and you probably won't need them.

If you're thinking about Dish Network, I'm not familiar with their current "best" wiring...

If anything, some flex conduit from your hub to the attic/basement for futureproofing would be just as important.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 7 Old 05-18-2012, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

You're on the right track, but some of your info may be out of date with the latest gear. You should read and/or post over at DBSTalk, where there are gaggles of Sat guys around...

For DirecTV installs now, you only need one RG6 from the dish to the central hub, and then just a power injector and a simple splitter to all of the receivers/DVRs - so it's wired just like CATV. This is a change as they've brought out their Single-Wire-Multiswitch (SWM) gear, which should be used for new installs (definitely ask about it).

Dish Network is different, though, and any desire for OTA means I would stick with your plan for 2xRG6 to each room. Never have too much wire. As for the run from your central hub to the "service entrance(s)", this will depend on where your dish vs. cable entrance would be. Most dish installs are done on the roof these days, so as long as wire can be run easily from the attic or eaves to your central hub, the installer will take care of the rest. But definitely pre-wire to the CATV service entrance, and if you can determine a suitable line-of-sight location for the (future) dish, getting 1-2 RG6 there wouldn't be a bad idea.

Regarding OTA, I'd really avoid doing any plans involving diplexers - always a pain (and may not be possible with the least-expensive gear). If you can run 2xRG6 to each room now, do that and you probably won't need them.

If you're thinking about Dish Network, I'm not familiar with their current "best" wiring...

If anything, some flex conduit from your hub to the attic/basement for futureproofing would be just as important.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks, i'll have to check out DBS talk. I'm not sure which provider i'm going to go with yet so trying to make sure that it's going to be compatible with everything since i'm running wire anyway.

So do you mean that DTV will run over existing cable COAX in my house? Or does it still need RG6? Sounds like i don't even need a multiswitch, so i could just use the 8 port coax splitter i have in my distribution center? \\

On a different forum someone told me that dish only needs 1 RG6 run to a "hopper" and then to the "Joeys" it can use the regular coax.

How does the OTA work in conjunction? Do I bring a cable down from the OTA antenna into a regular COAX splitter, where as the Satelliet feed comes in through the multiswitch?

Actually my central hub is on the first floor of a two story home, so it won't be easy for the installer to get there. That's why I want to bring it out all of the required cables to the service entrance now as a provision, so they installer can bring the cables down from the antenna to the service entrance and doesn't have to worry about going into the house.

Sorry... lots of questions.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-18-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I install 4 runs of RG6.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #5 of 7 Old 05-18-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortskoolbus View Post

So do you mean that DTV will run over existing cable COAX in my house? Or does it still need RG6? Sounds like i don't even need a multiswitch, so i could just use the 8 port coax splitter i have in my distribution center?

Correct. The SWM setup will work on RG59 and 'good' splitters - but only split as many as needed. (don't use an 8-way if you have 4 TVs)

Quote:

On a different forum someone told me that dish only needs 1 RG6 run to a "hopper" and then to the "Joeys" it can use the regular coax.

Haven't looked into Hopper/Joey, but that may very likely be correct. Definitely a topic for the "other half" crowd on DBSTalk...

Quote:

How does the OTA work in conjunction? Do I bring a cable down from the OTA antenna into a regular COAX splitter, where as the Satelliet feed comes in through the multiswitch?

Haven't done any OTA in conjunction with SWM - especially with SWM built into the dish (so single wire all the way). If you're running new cable, dual-run for OTA anyway. On a multiswitch-based setup there are diplexers available...

Quote:

Actually my central hub is on the first floor of a two story home, so it won't be easy for the installer to get there. That's why I want to bring it out all of the required cables to the service entrance now as a provision, so they installer can bring the cables down from the antenna to the service entrance and doesn't have to worry about going into the house.

Well, wherever you bring all the coax together is fine - if you've got AC power at that location, much easier to deal with the sat gear or a CATV amp/splitter. If not, there's solution (power injectors for coax, which is what will power the dish on a D* SWM system anyway).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #6 of 7 Old 05-18-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
FWIW, RG6 and RG59 are 2 types of coax that are commonly found in US homes.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 7 Old 05-18-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
If you decide to get DirecTV or Dish, they'll come out and add the cables that you need.

If you want one of the installers to come out on your dime, they may try harder to do a better job - if that's what you want.

Most people just go with the free cables and hardware, installed by the DirecTV or Dish installer.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page