It's got to be simple, but.... I'M an IDIOT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-19-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have some outdoor speakers with a receiver indoors. The speaker wires are run and I am able to connect an ipod indoors and play it just fine on the back patio with the outdoor kitchen.

However, I would like to have an inexpensive touch panel on the back patio built in to a large wood/rock pillar that was built. There is a spot that was not covered by rock that has RCA cables and CAT 5 running to it and from the indoor receiver.

I am sure that this is relatively simple, but I have little-to-no experience this this stuff. Again, here is the setup...

-- Indoors - Receiver with speaker wires running to outdoor Polk Audio Speakers. Cat 5 and RCA available from receiver to Outdoor termination point.

Minimum goal - to play Ipod on speakers while having the Ipod outside.

Best Case goad - to play Ipod on speakers while having a small touch panel attached to my pillar to control Ipod songs, volume etc.

Thank you....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-19-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 76
What receiver?

How does your iPod currently connect to the receiver?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 8 Old 05-19-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Minimum goal = $99 Airport Express (assuming your receiver isn't AirPlay-equipped) hooked to the receiver, play anything from the iPod in your hand...

2nd option will be a wall-mounted iPod dock - there are several available. How exposed is that location? The question will be the wiring to it, but between the RCA audio and Cat5, you'll probably be covered. Here's one that uses cat5 for power and signal:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc..._term=50-10405

Your best case goal is not a simple nor inexpensive answer. The cheapest (by a longshot) way to control an iPod is with an iPod...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 8 Old 05-19-2012, 10:48 AM

How about bluetooth??? How far is the receiver???
post #5 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 10:24 AM

You could go bluetooth with an item like this: http://www.amazon.com/Cicada-Sewell-...7880199&sr=8-1 Range of blue tooth might be a problem depending on how far your receiver is... Bluetooth gets you like ~30ft
post #6 of 8 Old 05-24-2012, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Minimum Goal: EZ as already described.

Best Case: Here is where your method breaks down because the iPod is designed as a portable device and not really intended to sit in one spot (a music server) and have a remote controller telling it what to do.

When you have to remote control an iTune-based system, the controller can be an iPad, iPhone, Touch and your server is where iTunes resides, either a PC or Mac.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #7 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 76
He wants a permanent, mounted control solution.

I was thinking something like a programmed keypad, e.g. Xantech, controlling a networked AVR.

I couldn't find a weatherproof iDock.

I guess the point is moot, OP MIA.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #8 of 8 Old 05-25-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

I was thinking something like a programmed keypad, e.g. Xantech, controlling a networked AVR.

And the AVR running some sort of DNLA?

OP, is that what you want?

When one is used to the simplicity of an iPod interface, I bet $5 nobody wants to go back to a cranky DNLA-like interface. There are some stand-alone audio server boxes that sound decent, interface-wise, but OP seems to specify, I WANT TO PLAY WHAT IS IN MY IPOD, hence my reference to play the iTune's library instead which is, supposely a mirror-image or what's in the iPod, UNLESS OP is doing one of those manual sync thing, with no server back up of his stuff in which case, oiy, am out.

p.s.: I have heard of certain AVR boxes will give you full control of an iPod, but am highly skeptical, having dealt for years with auto head units really NEVER provided a trouble-free iPod interface to the user, then every time Apple updates the iPod firmware, the dang head unit goes into convulsion.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page