problems with my hdmi extenders - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-25-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Couple of months ago I had an electrician install outlets in my basement and above my fireplace as well as run 4 cat6 drops from the basement to my living room.

I purchased two hdmi extenders which use HDBaseT from monoprice

Everything works fine until I cut on the bathroom vent fan on the bottom floor. The signal cuts out (typically both audio and video) and then a few seconds later it cuts back on. It took a few months of me getting very aggrivated before I purchased a nice furman power conditioner and hooked it up in the basement.

Still no luck... I had an electrician out at the house the other day and he suggested it could be the neutrals coming to the house from the main line. So I had United Power (my power company) come out and check and they were all tight. The catch is that all of my equipment is on a separate breaker so the interference is coming from a different line.

Have you guys had any luck fixing this type of problem or seen it before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-25-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Sounds like the operation of your bathroom fan is generating considerable RFI when it starts up. That RFI can be conducted on the AC line or transmitted through the air. Most AV gear is pretty good at squelching RFI on the AC line. So, my guess is transmitted RFI is causing your problem, although I wouldn't put it past the power supplies furnished with the HDMI extenders to be part of the problem. In any case, the best way to deal with RFI is to eliminate it at the source. Could be as simple as tightening a connection or replacing a switch. Could require replacing the fan. What make and model fan do you have?
post #3 of 4 Old 05-28-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Put the HDMI extenders (each end) temporarily on a battery backup UPS. I use some low capacity ones on our printers and in-room DVRs. Mainly as a means to keep them running the minute or so it takes for our generator to kick-in. That and survive transient brown-outs that aren't long enough for the generator transfer to take place.

Unplug the UPS, leaving the extenders running off the batteries. If the problem goes away then it's clearly power line related. Then try it with the UPS reconnected to power. Most likely it'll still work as the UPS tends to filter noise.

But if it fails when using battery power then that fan must be making a helluva lot of RF noise.

My first thought would be to just replace the fan. But double-check the switch being used to control it. Is it just a plain on/off wall switch? Or is there something more complex, like a motion sensor or timer?
post #4 of 4 Old 05-28-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Its just a normal on/off switch for a bathroom vent fan. I put a power conditioner at the tv end a few weeks ago and that did not fix the problem but I may be able to find 2 UPSes that I could experiment with.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page