Confused? Whole House Audio Setup with 3312 CI - AVS Forum
Home A/V Distribution > Confused? Whole House Audio Setup with 3312 CI
adynitr's Avatar adynitr 06:49 AM 05-26-2012
Hello Everybody,

After hours of googling I am kind of not yet clarified regarding multizone using Denon 3312 CH.

This is my setup.

1)Home Theater Room 7.1
2)Zone 2 with 2 Rooms (Living Room, Kitchen)
3)Zone 3 with (2 Bed Rooms)

If i purchase Denon 3312 CI will it solve multizone problem?

Are there any limitations with 3312?
a)Will i be able to hear music from USB/IPOD/PC in zone 2 or zone 3 while somebody is watching a movie in home theater?
b)Will airplay work in zone 2 or zone 3 while somebody is watching a movie in home theater?
c)What are the extra accessories i need to buy other than Denon 3312 CI for zone 2 and zone 3 (Excluding stereo or mono speakers)? I mean do i need to buy any amp etc?
d)How should i be able to control specific room i.e in zone 2 there is living room and kitchen? how can i switch off kitchen speakers and hear music only from living room?

jautor's Avatar jautor 11:47 AM 05-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by adynitr View Post

1)Home Theater Room 7.1
2)Zone 2 with 2 Rooms (Living Room, Kitchen)
3)Zone 3 with (2 Bed Rooms)

If i purchase Denon 3312 CI will it solve multizone problem?

So you have 5 zones, and you're trying to combine them down to 3.

Quote:


Are there any limitations with 3312?

The Denon is better than most AVRs in that it (according to the manual) will play PCM digital sources in Zone2/Zone3. Typically you have to run analog cables in parallel to digital sources to get audio in the zones. For HDMI sources, looks like you'll still need to run either a digital or analog cable in addition for the zones to get audio from those sources.

Quote:


a)Will i be able to hear music from USB/IPOD/PC in zone 2 or zone 3 while somebody is watching a movie in home theater?

Yes, the source selections for Zone 1 / Zone 2 / Zone 3 are independent. That's true of any multi-zone system.

Quote:


b)Will airplay work in zone 2 or zone 3 while somebody is watching a movie in home theater?

It should.

Quote:


c)What are the extra accessories i need to buy other than Denon 3312 CI for zone 2 and zone 3 (Excluding stereo or mono speakers)? I mean do i need to buy any amp etc?

The Denon can assign the surround rear channels to be a zone amp, but you'll lose 7.1 support (becomes 5.1). So if your main room will be 5.1, you'll need one more stereo amp for zone 3. If your main room will be 7.1, you'll need two stereo amps.

Quote:


d)How should i be able to control specific room i.e in zone 2 there is living room and kitchen? how can i switch off kitchen speakers and hear music only from living room?

You're combining two rooms into one zone. If you want to control them separately (volume/on/off - they will share the same source), you'll need a speaker selector and perhaps individual volume controls - at the very least.

With really four zones beyond the surround setup, you should consider a Whole House audio system if you want individual control of each room. You'll be much happier with the setup and it will get used more often. Setting up a receiver with multiple speaker selectors and volume controls means it will be cumbersome to use.

At the very least, a single-source for the zones, switched through a nice selector with remote control and keypad options, like the Aton DLA series, would be a better choice, IMO...

http://www.atonhome.com/DLA4Room.html

If you want to play different sources in multiple zones (kitchen vs. bedroom), step up to something like the NuVo Simplese or a similar setup from HTD.com.

Jeff
Up
Mobile  Desktop