Wiring a house (Right first time) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-26-2012, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Folks,

I just moved from a 3 bedroom apt to a 5 bedroom Colonial house, and as I did in the apt, I'd like to wire it up. I plan on running 1 RG6 line and 3 CAT6 lines to each of the bedrooms/living room/finished basement all going to a central point in the basement as close to the Verizon FIOS box (on the outside).

I'm ready to pull the trigger and I see Amazon has this Steren 1000' RG6 UL/CM Quad for $75. My monoprice cart has RG6 1000' Quad CL2 for $150? Should I save the $75? Both are copper clad.

I also have the usual, keystone cat6/f type connectors, plates, patch panels cat6 (and blank for the f type connectors), rack and screws. Anything else I may be missing?

Most of the rooms have a mix of 360's, Wii's, popcorn hours, internet TV's and standard verizon set top boxes. I'll place my media server next to the rack.

Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-27-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I would stick with the Monoprice even at the higher price. They have a great reputation and will support any issues.

$75 is just too cheap for 1000' of RG6. No telling where it's from or who really made it.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #3 of 10 Old 05-27-2012, 01:17 PM

If your thread title is your true intention then I would look at a different brand of cable, not knocking monoprice but do you really want to base your whole installation off of monoprice cable? What good is customer service after the fact for cable? I could care less about the cost of cable when I'm looking at a rewire!!

A quality pre-wire will give you the option of running monoprice level equipment, otherwise your playing Russian roulette. The prices you have listed are in the ballpark for cable from a reputable brand, your odds of getting a sub-par spool of cable is drastically reduced because there quality control standard is far higher.

General Cable, Westpenn wire, Ice cable and others manufacture cable and are good at it, they don't specialize in discount electronics.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
We have had plenty of bad cable in the last year in fact it is becoming the norm make sure you get a tester that can verify the bandwith of the cable adn test it before you seal the walls. We keep getting cat5e that will not support 1000mbs it get up to 100 and is flakey beyone that and has huge packet loss and timing issues. They keep trying to make this stuff cheaper and it shows.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

908 578-6466

post #5 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeenon View Post

Folks,

I just moved from a 3 bedroom apt to a 5 bedroom Colonial house, and as I did in the apt, I'd like to wire it up. I plan on running 1 RG6 line and 3 CAT6 lines to each of the bedrooms/living room/finished basement all going to a central point in the basement as close to the Verizon FIOS box (on the outside).

I'm ready to pull the trigger and I see Amazon has this Steren 1000' RG6 UL/CM Quad for $75. My monoprice cart has RG6 1000' Quad CL2 for $150? Should I save the $75? Both are copper clad.

Z

You can get Belden 7916A which is solid copper for under $150 - or a genesis BC version for even less ( and odds are the Genesis is US made)
post #6 of 10 Old 05-29-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I don't think any RG6 is made in the US, anymore. If you can provide a link, or read it on the box, I'd appreciate it.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 10 Old 05-30-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

I don't think any RG6 is made in the US, anymore. If you can provide a link, or read it on the box, I'd appreciate it.

Belden 1694A and 7915A

Genesis 5003,5027, 5034

I am sure there are more but I looked at the actual boxes we had
post #8 of 10 Old 05-31-2012, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspencer View Post

Belden 1694A and 7915A

Genesis 5003,5027, 5034

I am sure there are more but I looked at the actual boxes we had

Thank you very much, fine sir!

My next cable purchase will be Belden 1694A.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #9 of 10 Old 05-31-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Thank you very much, fine sir!

My next cable purchase will be Belden 1694A.

Seriously 7915A is half the price, for most jobs every bit as adequate as 1694A.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-31-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I learned that the 100% coverage of the tinned copper is only slighter better than the 77% aluminum coverage from reading Stephen Lampen's book The A/V Cable Installer's Pocket Guide, an informative and enjoyable read.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Video-In.../dp/0071386211

But, my cable runs are all retrofit, and the extra coverage with tinned copper may be useful.

Thank you, Mr. Lampen!

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page