Bought a Pre-wired home, need help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought a 2006 pre wired house, but the previous owners an older lady told that they never really used the pre wiring and has no idea how its done. According to her the master bedroom, media room and patio are prewired. They all have little plates beneath which i found few yellow wires and a blue wire. I thought I would start with patio, attached is the pic of plate that's outside. I have 2 yellow wires popping out from either end of patio. No idea wat the blue wire does
Also, how do I plug in the source of audio which is a Yamaha RX-Z1 in living room
Any and all help appreciated guys!
Thanks.

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/ravneetsingh/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-30-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 335
I assume you mean "pre-wired" for speakers...

The image looks like the blue wire would be a 4-conductor speaker cable that will head back to some central location. The two yellow wires would then be 2-conductor cables that go to the L/R speaker locations (where are those on the outside). That plate is then replaced with a volume control. By the sunlight, it appears that this is an exposed location? You'll need to cover the control with an outdoor box (or control volume remotely and have nothing here).

Where do those blue wires end up? Hopefully where your receiver is?

Your receiver has a "Zone 2" output. Connect the variable output to an external amp and speaker selector (with impedance matching if you're doing more than 2 zones) is the cheapest solution. Amp to a remote control-capable selector with individual zone volume, such as the Aton DLA series, would be the next step up.

I assume you really only have 2 other rooms wired (master and patio), and the media room is a 5.1 pre-wire, with all the speaker cables coming to one place?

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 3 Old 05-30-2012, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

I assume you mean "pre-wired" for speakers...

The image looks like the blue wire would be a 4-conductor speaker cable that will head back to some central location. The two yellow wires would then be 2-conductor cables that go to the L/R speaker locations (where are those on the outside). That plate is then replaced with a volume control. By the sunlight, it appears that this is an exposed location? You'll need to cover the control with an outdoor box (or control volume remotely and have nothing here).

Where do those blue wires end up? Hopefully where your receiver is?

Your receiver has a "Zone 2" output. Connect the variable output to an external amp and speaker selector (with impedance matching if you're doing more than 2 zones) is the cheapest solution. Amp to a remote control-capable selector with individual zone volume, such as the Aton DLA series, would be the next step up.

I assume you really only have 2 other rooms wired (master and patio), and the media room is a 5.1 pre-wire, with all the speaker cables coming to one place?

Jeff

Jeff, thanks for the comprehensive response. I am sure the blue wire ends up where my reciever is. The plate is actually covered, so volume control wud be away from elements. Also, would you suggest any good pair of outdoor speakers. I am currently using Energy RC-50/RC-LCR as main setup indoor.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page