Monoprice HDMI 4x2 Matrix Swithcher poor audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 05-31-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got this switcher and i've got HTPC (readon 5450 card) and xbox going in and panisonic plasma and pioneer 1019ah going out.
i haven't got vid on the TV yet but noticed right away that the audio is only pcm even playing sourced that i know are DTS.
what am i missing?

I would use the AVR to switch but i lose audio on the HTPC when i change inputs and have to power cycle the AVR to get the audio back.

Display: Panasonic TC-P50ST30, AVR: Pioneer VSX-1019AH, Fronts: Klipsch SB-1, Center: Polk CS 10, Surrounds & SB's: Infinity TSS-750, Sub: CSS Quartet 10 Kit, Win7 HTPC, XBOX 360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-31-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Every HDMI switch (with some expensive exceptions) is going to produce the same results here. The source(s) are adjusting to the "common denominator" among the displays attached. If one of the displays/receivers on the output side only supports PCM (typical for most displays except for very recent models), the source will downshift its audio to meet it.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 20 Old 05-31-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

you know i read that a few times but they were talking about 720p and 1080p tv's. i didn't even consider it would apply to the audio. damn.
thank you for the quick reply

Display: Panasonic TC-P50ST30, AVR: Pioneer VSX-1019AH, Fronts: Klipsch SB-1, Center: Polk CS 10, Surrounds & SB's: Infinity TSS-750, Sub: CSS Quartet 10 Kit, Win7 HTPC, XBOX 360
post #4 of 20 Old 05-31-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

i'm curious now. how "high end" do i need to go?
$500... $1000?

post #5 of 20 Old 05-31-2012, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The only one that I'm aware of that will downmix the audio is Crestron's Digital Media switchers.

And how expensive: A fully populated 8x8 HDMI matrix switcher with downmix cards has a list price of $15,000. If you want to use their built-in HDMI over Cat5e (glorified and fancied HDBaseT) for inputs or outputs, then the price goes up. Of course, you can make it cheaper if you have less inputs or outputs. Or you can make it much more expensive going up to a larger switcher.

Plus, it is only controllable from a Crestron processor, so you'd need one of those and programming to make it work with something else.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-31-2012, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

nice, i'll get two!

post #7 of 20 Old 05-31-2012, 10:23 PM

This 4x2 HDMI Matrix Switch will work for you.
It has 4 built in EDID mode.

Video:
In mode 1, it will tell all source to play in 1080P if possible, if not 1080i or 720P

Audio:
In mode 1, it will tell all source to play in DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1 if possible, if not Linear PCM 2-channels.
post #8 of 20 Old 06-01-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticbear84 View Post

This 4x2 HDMI Matrix Switch will work for you.
It has 4 built in EDID mode.

Video:
In mode 1, it will tell all source to play in 1080P if possible, if not 1080i or 720P

Audio:
In mode 1, it will tell all source to play in DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1 if possible, if not Linear PCM 2-channels.

Note that spoofing the EDID will work (preserving DD5.1 or DTS), but any attached display(s) that cannot support those audio codecs will get *no* audio. Depending on the situation, this may be fine, but you should be aware of the limitation...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #9 of 20 Old 06-01-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

I dont need my TV to get audio.
I want my AVR to get full audio (pcm 2ch, bitstream 5.1 and bitstream 7.1)
I can make these changes to the switch on my computer if i hook it up via the rs232 port? I'll have to get a cable.
thanks for your help

post #10 of 20 Old 06-01-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

I just noticed that you are talking about the Octava not the monoprice
I was hopping not to have to spend that much.
bummer but it looks like a cool unit

post #11 of 20 Old 06-01-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Wait, so what's the switch for? If you just have the AVR and a Plasma as outputs, why not just run all the sources to the AVR and then to the plasma. That avoids this whole issue.

If you have some other need to hook it up the way you have, an EDID tool (HDMI detective) can spoof just the plasma's EDID, instead of having to replace/upgrade the switch.

Jeff

post #12 of 20 Old 06-01-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

i have it going thru my AVR but when i switch inputs to go to or back to my HTPC i lose the audio. i have to powercycle the AVR to get the audio back.
i saw that HDMI detective. you think that will work for me?
it kinda kills me that i have to use anything. the avr should be able to switch a and v back and forth.

post #13 of 20 Old 06-01-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinney6 View Post

i have it going thru my AVR but when i switch inputs to go to or back to my HTPC i lose the audio. i have to powercycle the AVR to get the audio back.

Have what going through your AVR? Can you not just hook all your sources (HTPC, Xbox and anything else) directly to the AVR via HDMI, then use HDMI out from the AVR to your plasma?

I don't see what the switch is doing for you (except causing issues)...

Jeff

post #14 of 20 Old 06-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 419
I have found the Monoprice HDMI matrix switches to be pretty good: but they must be the ones that are rated for HDMI 1.3 (they have several types on their site)

also check that all your cables are rated 1.3 or better
post #15 of 20 Old 06-01-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

thats what i mean, i have the htpc and xbox into avr via hdmi and hdmi out to plasma but when i switch to the xbox and back to htpc i lose the audio. i must powercycle the avr to get the audio back. sorry if i wasn't clear.

I've been reading good things on this forum about the monoprice but i'm not sure if it will do what i need it to do, like what these guys are saying up there about "EDID spoofing" and audio downmixing.

i jsut tried going component vid out from avr to tv but the avr doesn't allow it.
if it's hdmi in it must be hdmi out. i dont know if that would fix my prob but it sux none-the-less
RRAAAA!!!
frustrating

post #16 of 20 Old 06-01-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thats what i mean, i have the htpc and xbox into avr via hdmi and hdmi out to plasma but when i switch to the xbox and back to htpc i lose the audio. i must powercycle the avr to get the audio back. sorry if i wasn't clear.

Ok, so the switch is really not in the picture yet, then? You bought it hoping to solve the loss-of-audio issue...

Quote:

I've been reading good things on this forum about the monoprice but i'm not sure if it will do what i need it to do, like what these guys are saying up there about "EDID spoofing" and audio downmixing.

Adding anything HDMI to this mix is not going to help. You've got some incompatibility between your AVR and the HTPC's video adapter. If you're not using the HTPC for Blu-ray content, you could use a separate digital audio link to avoid HDMI audio issues (if the HTPC has an output and your AVR can map a digital input to an HDMI source).

Quote:

i just tried going component vid out from avr to tv but the avr doesn't allow it. if it's hdmi in it must be hdmi out. i dont know if that would fix my prob but it sux none-the-less

That's the "rules" of HDMI - no analog downconversion... If your HTPC can do component output, that would help, and your AVR likely will upconvert it to HDMI so you don't have to run separate cables.

You should do some more experiments. Switch sources on the AVR without the display attached and make sure there's nothing going on there. Make sure all sources are set to "bitstream" HDMI audio. Turn off any CEC or "HDMI control". Do you only lose audio if certain codes (DTS vs DD vs PCM) are being used? Does it happen switching between anything other than HTPC?

Jeff

post #17 of 20 Old 06-01-2012, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

if i turn off my tv the audio cuts out but usually comes back in a sec since i did and EDID override telling my HTPC that my AVR is my tv.
i unplugged the hdmi cable at the AVR that goes to the tv. i still get audio from the htmc.
i cycled thru the AVR inputs and when i came back to the HTPC audio is gone.
same

I want to keep HDMI b/c i want Dolby and DTS hd 7.1 audio
i've got bluray rips on my HTPC.

I've been searching the forums for these handshake issues and i see a lot of them but they all seem to be about video not audio

thanks for your help by the way

post #18 of 20 Old 06-02-2012, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

if i got to contol panel > hardware & sound > sound > Playback > "AMD HDMI Output" is dafault and active.
When i switch inputs on my AVR and return to HTPC input on the AVR i've lost audio.
I go back to to Playback > "AMD HDMI Output" now it's greyed out and Digital Audio is (S/PDIF) is active. I can't seem to reactivate HDMI Output without powercycling the HTPC or the AVR.

post #19 of 20 Old 06-02-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

if i got to contol panel > hardware & sound > sound > Playback > "AMD HDMI Output" is dafault and active.
When i switch inputs on my AVR and return to HTPC input on the AVR i've lost audio.
I go back to to Playback > "AMD HDMI Output" now it's greyed out and Digital Audio is (S/PDIF) is active. I can't seem to reactivate HDMI Output without powercycling the HTPC or the AVR.

When that happens, does unplugging the HDMI cable from the HTPC and replacing it fix it? I'm afraid you've hit an interoperability bug between the two products...

Jeff

post #20 of 20 Old 06-02-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

yep, un/replug the hdmi gives me back audio

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page